Let’s talk 2.0 Tunes. Who you going to?

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
So I’m trying to map out my tune process. Going to keep this one simple. A tune, drop in filter, and possibly intercooler and downpipe. Looking for a 300hp+/300tq+ end result.
Im not new to turbos and cars. I’ve built a few and broken many.

Who are you guys going to for tunes when you get your Mavericks? What are you expecting as far as power?

please spare me the: “
I dOnT nEeD aNY mOrE pOweR thAn oEm… YoUr gUnNa bLoW yUr mOToR!”

Nobody needs that kind of negativity.
Sponsored

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's a related thread if you canstand :ROFLMAO: to wade thru the BS.

I'm getting the hybrid for the wife, but I'm actually pretty interested in who want's to start modding and tuning out their ecoboost mavericks. I hope you guys get aftermarket support for tuning the ECU and we see people swapping turbos, bolt ons, and alternative fuels like ethanol

Edit: And to be clear this thread is discussing the performance benefits of ethanol and reading the rewards of ethanol to make a lot of power on the turbo engine by tuning.

Reactions: Mav
OP
OP
Mav

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Thanks. I actually saw that thread. Was hoping for something a little clearer and on topic. And not about ethanol

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, hahah all this on-topic advice about how not to wreck your new vehicle, lol... :rolleyes: There's nothing wrong with retuning turbocharged engines, its done to both our Mercedes and our late Abarth and can be perfectly safe.

Most of them simply add more boost and can get rid of little annoying things like rev hang that are done to improve emissions and can add crackles and pops for fun. With the Maverick being new for 2022 though, most people are going to want to go with a piggy back, as you'd be able to pull it before going in to a dealership. Any proper OBD2 tune you do, even if you set it back to factory settings before bringing it in, you can't wipe out the history and the dealer will be able to see that you flashed it and that's usually enough grounds to invalidate most powertrain warranty requests.

You're not likely to gain much if any power going with a catless downpipe since cats have become quite high flowing now and you'll fail a computer emissions check even if you manage to disable it w/ a tune that turns off your CEL, well, and it will smell. You'd see more benefit from a muffler delete or full larger diamter catback if trying to reduce backpressure and remain street legal.

Even though the gen 2 ecoboost 2.0 has been out a while and used on other vehicles, I don't think there's a big selection of options, but you can check on Edge, Escape, Bronco Sport, Fusion, and MKZ/C forums to see what's available and ping those manf's to see if they are planning a kit for the Maverick any time soon.

OP
OP
Mav

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Yeah, hahah all this on-topic advice about how not to wreck your new vehicle, lol... :rolleyes: There's nothing wrong with retuning turbocharged engines, its done to both our Mercedes and our late Abarth and can be perfectly safe.

Most of them simply add more boost and can get rid of little annoying things like rev hang that are done to improve emissions and can add crackles and pops for fun. With the Maverick being new for 2022 though, most people are going to want to go with a piggy back, as you'd be able to pull it before going in to a dealership. Any proper OBD2 tune you do, even if you set it back to factory settings before bringing it in, you can't wipe out the history and the dealer will be able to see that you flashed it and that's usually enough grounds to invalidate most powertrain warranty requests.

You're not likely to gain much if any power going with a catless downpipe since cats have become quite high flowing now and you'll fail a computer emissions check even if you manage to disable it w/ a tune that turns off your CEL, well, and it will smell. You'd see more benefit from a muffler delete or full larger diamter catback if trying to reduce backpressure and remain street legal.

Even though the gen 2 ecoboost 2.0 has been out a while and used on other vehicles, I don't think there's a big selection of options, but you can check on Edge, Escape, Bronco Sport, Fusion, and MKZ/C forums to see what's available and ping those manf's to see if they are planning a kit for the Maverick any time soon.
I built a pretty sweet Abarth.
Ford Maverick Let’s talk 2.0 Tunes. Who you going to? 7C4B7308-A7A2-4893-97EB-6C9A1023C7BE

I don’t agree with your statement about the DP not freeing up any power. With a tune (and potentially cat back depending on how restricted the stock setup is) a better flowing DP will always make more power.

Ive bee doing my homework on 2.0 tuning. It’s going to be interesting to see if FORD makes a performance tune for it. I sure hope so.

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

IMO Piggy backing is the worst way of tuning. Tricking ECU systems by modifying voltages. You get subpar, unsafe results. Flashing is the way to go.

If people are worried about warranty claims they shouldn't be touching anything not offered by Ford.

Last edited:

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think you'll see 300whp unless really pushing with full bolt ons and ethanol. The turbo is pretty small. Torque I bet 350wtq would be relatively easy.

I'd like to look to Cobb for support as the accessport is a relatively great easy to use system. Acesstuner pro is the way to go if you want to tune yourself relatively easy. But most people would opt for off the shelf solutions since tuning yourself requires a lot of knowledge and know how of how the engine and systems operate.

Also cobb already offers the accessport for fiesta ecoboost, focus 2.0t and 2.3t's, and F150 ecoboost.

Reactions: Mav

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Piggy backing is the worst way of tuning. Tricking ECU systems by modifying voltages. You get subpar, unsafe results. Flashing is the way to go.
Why not discuss the differences? If flashes were universally better, piggy backs wouldn't be so popular.

A piggy back keeps your factory ECU tune intact, and when removed is untraceable. Who cares? Well, the Maverick is a first year production vehicle with no OTA update functionality, so the chance of you having to show up at the dealership at some point for some kind of minor update is pretty high, and you have that coverage for half a decade or 60K miles, a significant portion of the vehicle's lifespan. Once your vehicle gets black listed, that's it, it doesn't matter if you go to another Ford dealership even in another state.

The piggy backs do indeed "trick" the vehicle into running more aggressive ignition timing and more boost and the like, but has limits on how extreme it can go and how much it can modify. This is a non-issue for most people because its running a tiny turbo anyway (275hp and a nice midrange torque boost is more realistic), so you're more likely to go way out of the efficiency zone of the turbo before you run into other limitations, and the factory systems these days are very smart and learn to adapt to the higher boost. Safety wise, they are generally just fine, just not as aggressive, the knock sensors are still going to protect the engine from silliness, and in fact I'd argue safer because while there is a chance of "bricking" a vehicle with a bad flash, you can't mess up a piggy back because you just unplug it and voila, you're back to stock. Sometimes the piggy backs even have little bluetooth mode toggles, so on your phone you can drive say totally stock most of the time, then a sport mode for a bit of extra power once your engine is warmed up, or if at a light and wanting to show off a race mode that you don't want to run for long periods of time.

But they aren't for people that want to make more extensive changes to their vehicle, in which case you have to go with a flash. With a flash, you're plugging a tool into your OBD2 to literally reprogram the ECU. Because of this, the chance of doing serious damage to your vehicle is far greater, since just like a firmware upgrade on your laptop or whatever things do have the potential to get jacked up, and the tuner can go as crazy as they want far beyond the safety envelope of the Ford engineers, and your warranty is thrown out the window because dealerships aren't stupid and if you come in with a powertrain problem on a turbo vehicle, history of a flash is the first thing they are going to check. If I were almost out of warranty anyway, I'd probably do a flash and look for a conservative tune, but that's not really applicable to a brand new 2022 model.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If people are worried about warranty claims they shouldn't be touching anything not offered by Ford.
With regard to your edit, of course if Ford offers a tune, that's a no-brainer. I'd jump on that too if priced right.

OP
OP
Mav

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Piggyback is a half assed way of tuning. They have inherent issues that tunes don’t. Most common being harness problems. And using guesswork in terms of data.
Sponsored