Sponsored

Maverick vs Hyundai Santa Cruz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Just the opposite. The Maverick and Santa Cruz are both small unibody trucks. The Ridgeline is much bigger then both.

Santa Cruz is in competition with the Ridgeline and other mid size trucks but mostly the RL. The Mav is a totally different class...
Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I agree with most all the comments here. I'm shockingly impressed by the looks, love the rear-seat pull up, love the integrated cover, mostly fine wit the bed length. BUT, a full, touch screen ONLY console is 10000000% a deal killer for me. Even Honda realized how stupid that was and did a running change on the Ridgeline to add a volume knob.
You know it! I have a 2019 Ridgeline... I use CarPlay which has a standard interface no matter the vehicle.. I have to use the steering wheel volume control as the touchscreen is terrible!

Maybe Hyundai copied too much from the Ridgeline

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The front is better looking than the side profile IMO, and it seems to be pretty capable, but its basically starting at an MSRP of 150% the Maverick. Option the Maverick ten thousand more dollars and im betting you'll have a better looking, more capable truck, made by an American company.
Hyundai might be a Korean company, but the Santa Cruz was designed in California and is built in Alabama. It obviously is built in America. It looks like the Maverick will be built in Mexico. So, what's your point?

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Just the opposite. The Maverick and Santa Cruz are both small unibody trucks. The Ridgeline is much bigger then both.
But they are not going after the same customers. Totally different market segments!

Ford is going after truck buyers who want a small “truck”. Hyundai is going after urban, skinny-jean-wearing, soy latte-slurping young professionals by their very own statements.

Unibody is not the defining feature. It is irrelevant.

Last edited:

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hyundai might be a Korean company, but the Santa Cruz was designed in California and is built in Alabama. It obviously is built in America. It looks like the Maverick will be built in Mexico. So, what's your point?
What country will the profits be repatriated to? 💁🏼‍♂️

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I believe our government considers where the product profits ultimately end up when declaring something is "made" in America. In the case of vehicles, trade agreements like new NAFTA specify what % of parts used to build vehicles are Made in America- it's not just where a final assembly factory puts them together for delivery to markets.

TrkNv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Xj and Rogue Sport
Listen, US workers getting good wages here is a positive. Repatriated profits are just going to the rich. Just my dumbs$$ opinion.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Listen, US workers getting good wages here is a positive. Repatriated profits are just going to the rich. Just my dumbs$$ opinion.
Do you have a 401K? Then corporate profits are going to YOU. Where do you think these funds invest your money? 💁🏼‍♂️

Repatriated profits also run through the whole economy. This is why many countries don’t tax repatriated profits. Corporate Tax rate on repatriated profits in many countries is 0% bc they want those profits made elsewhere brought home to run through their own economies.. we are actually one of the few western countries who penalize our companies from bringing profits home.

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This, exactly. Not to mention im sure the Maverick was also designed in America.

Sponsored

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
But they are not going after the same customers. Totally different market segments!

Ford is going after truck buyers who want a small “truck”. Hyundai is going after urban, skinny-jean-wearing, soy latte-slurping young professionals by their very own statements.

I’m looking for a small truck-ish type vehicle that has decent style. Both the Hyundai and the Ford, although different design language, are both something I am drawn to aesthetically. What I like about the Hyundai is the I4 2.5T mated to a Wet 8DCT producing 275+HP/310+TQ. It seems Hyundai is a bit more bold in the powertrain department when compared. Although Ford powertrains for Maverick have not been announced, I’d be surprised to see they include 2.3T at launch on something that’s not “ST” brand trim. Hyundai can be a bit more bold, because they don’t have to worry about segment overlap due to protecting sales of their next segment up. I’m tired of vehicles that I am attracted to that are cut off at the knees powertrain wise just so corporate can protect their cash-cow at my expense as a consumer.

I’m a unique buyer, I like the use of an open bed, but I like the driving dynamics of a sedan, but don’t want just an everyday CUV or typical slow shifting slush box auto. I believe the Hyundai would fill what I am seeking more than Maverick right now.

Let people think I’m some “urban, skinny-jean-wearing, soy latte slurping young professional.” I’m 37 years young, and a Civil Engineer, hate the hipster crowd and know my exact use case for the product. I’m not offended nor would I be. I lease a 2019 Tacoma, it blows donkey dookie. Talk about hipster crowd! I can’t stand it when everyone that has one that’s outfitted in overlander guise try to wave at me. Hello no, take the truck rice somewhere else. Haha! Its lease end is up October and I can’t wait to dump it. Too many issues and short comings for me after living with it just over 2.5 years. That places Hyundai at June-August and perfect timeframe wise for my needs by October. The older I get, the easier it is for me to choose what I want based on my realistic needs, not what some else thinks of me.

I look forward to Ford revealing the Maverick and hope it’s soon so I can cross shop. I also look forward to the side by side comparisons.

Last edited:

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
True but who will be provided jobs and income working in the assembly plants? Look at any Ford or other company building vehicles and the parts, the assembly, and everything comes from all over the world. Even the "All American" Mustang often has an engine assembled in Spain these days.

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
True but who will be provided jobs and income working in the assembly plants? Look at any Ford or other company building vehicles and the parts, the assembly, and everything comes from all over the world. Even the "All American" Mustang often has an engine assembled in Spain these days.
Ford has 25 manufacturing facilities in the United States. Hyundai has one assembly plant in Alabama. They're not even in the same league.

Jaja44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger
The guy who tested the backseat for Edmunds is only 5'8" and he only had an inch for his knees... so the backseat is out on the Santa Cruz for adults
See, I'm not sure what to think about backseat size on the Hyundai. I don't know if you guys saw the video that TFL Truck did, but I remember that the host is over 6 feet tall and when he hopped in the backseat it didn't look half bad.
I'm with a lot of you guys, I expected to be dead set on the Maverick but I gotta say Hyundai did a lot of things right. More than I expected them to.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Your description of the people who will like the Hyundai couldn't be much further from me and I like it. I just like the comfort of an SUV, the utility of a bed, the fuel economy of a smaller vehicle, something that will fit in the garage, and an innovative design that isn't "just another pickup." I could no more fit my 66-year-old body into a skinny pair of jeans than fly to the moon! 😆
Sponsored