MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Hyundai Santa Cruz was just released. It is 196 inches long with a 4 foot bed (4 feet, 4 inches at the bottom, 4 feet at the top). It has a 1300lb payload. Efficiency and price numbers aren't yet released.

So there is the baseline for the Maverick's most obvious competitor.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Santa Cruz comes with 20 in wheels, but can be had with 18 in wheels with more sidewall, which is good.

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Santa Cruz looks astoundingly good. In bed storage, steps and tie downs look awesome. 3500/5000 pound towing depending on engine. Back seat looks super tiny which I love also since Im just ripping it all out anyway.

I hope the Maverick can compare because the Santa Cruz is a mighty good looking option. If they can price a baser model without many options around the Maverick price points rumored then it would be a hard choice to go with the Mav for me.

Biggest thing I don’t like is the standard AWD(Edit: I seeing conflicting reports they may actually have a FWD model as well) and safety nonsense honestly. Just as I predicted the Santa Cruz is definitely looking like the better option for people who like fancy and good looking.

Last edited:
OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm hoping for a little longer bed in the Maverick. That would be a selling point to me. I am also curious to see efficiency and ground clearance numbers for both.

Sponsored

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm hoping for a little longer bed in the Maverick. That would be a selling point to me. I am also curious to see efficiency and ground clearance numbers for both.
I'm also hoping for a longer bed in the Maverick. I mentioned previously in another post how recently I had to rent a pick up truck to bring my snowblower for service. It doesn't even look like my snowblower would fit in the bed of the Santa Cruz unless I kept the tailgate down and secured it with straps.

Reactions: Doc

TrkNv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Xj and Rogue Sport
if the base is about 25k it’ll be tough for maverick to match. 3500 towing is plenty for me. Ok, let’s see whatcha got Ford

Reactions: Mox

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The front is better looking than the side profile IMO, and it seems to be pretty capable, but its basically starting at an MSRP of 150% the Maverick. Option the Maverick ten thousand more dollars and im betting you'll have a better looking, more capable truck, made by an American company.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know guys, if you go by numbers alone, I'd say the Santa Cruz might best the Maverick in everything except bed length/space. Maybe the Mav could beat in payload too. But that 5000lb towing number is higher than I thought this class/segment would go. I was expecting it to top out in near 4000lb maybe. And those 2.5T power/torque numbers are right on par with Ranger numbers, and I don't think there's any way Ford is going to allow the Mav to get close to the Ranger numbers. And the bed storage and other options I don't seen the Maverick having either, based on the uncovered bodies we saw a month or so ago. It'll definitely be a more simple and basic pick-up like vehicle, as opposed to the fancy new and innovative thing that Hyundai just gave us.

I have to say the Santa Cruz is a strong offering from Hyundai. From what we know about the Maverick so far I also think the Santa Cruz engine options are much better than what Ford plan's on using. The back seat of the Santa Cruz does look very small though so that has me concerned. In addition to it looking tight on space I saw a video review that said they seatbacks are rather upright in the back seat so that could result in discomfort for back seat passengers on long trips. I'm worried now that between the two vehicles they'll both have some strong pluses and cons which might make the decision even more difficult.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The front is better looking than the side profile IMO, and it seems to be pretty capable, but its basically starting at an MSRP of 150% the Maverick. Option the Maverick ten thousand more dollars and im betting you'll have a better looking, more capable truck, made by an American company.
It is starting at a higher price but when you option the Maverick to what comes standard on the Santa Cruz then it will probably be a lot closer. The lower price will only come into play for those who want a bare bones model which Hyundai is not offering. I'll looking for a loaded model no matter which truck I ended up purchasing.

Sponsored

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is starting at a higher price but when you option the Maverick to what comes standard on the Santa Cruz then it will probably be a lot closer. The lower price will only come into play for those who want a bare bones model which Hyundai is not offering. I'll looking for a loaded model no matter which truck I ended up purchasing.
For 30k+, it would make more sense to just get a Ranger, for about 31k the Ranger can be had with AWD and four full doors.

TrkNv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick made in Mexico. Santa Cruz made in Montgomery, Alabama. I’m actually leaning toward Hyundai because of USA labor.

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
So I just read-up and watched info on the Santa Cruz. My initial impressions:

- It looks better than I thought it would. Less origami looking and more cohesive.
- The under floor storage AND roller top cover are brilliant
- I hate the 10" Primary Instrument Display.
- I hope the under seat storage area is optional. What is there is unworkable for me. It doesn't appear to be structural.

TrkNv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This thing sounds like it'll fit in the garage...bonus points. C'mon Ford drop some maverick info...
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc