TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick made in Mexico. Santa Cruz made in Montgomery, Alabama. Iā€™m actually leaning toward Hyundai because of USA labor.
I agree, it is both bogus and sad the Maverick isnt made here, but I look at the bigger picture with all the profits going to an American company at least. When I can afford to step up to bigger, American made Ford products, i certainly will!

Mox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hope the under seat storage area is optional. What is there is unworkable for me. It doesn't appear to be structural.
Agreed. I'd rather just a flat surface. Would be super simple to put the seats up and have some functional in-cab storage or space for my dog.

Reactions: Doc

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maverick needs its rear seat bottom to fold up (like the Santa Cruz) -- Wifey's Bronco Sport Badlands "kinda" folds flat.

And, don't get me going on that pitiful Ranger SuperCrew rear seat cluster for the 5th Gen -- I'm guessing the 6th Gen Ranger will "fix" both of these turnoffs...

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350ā€™s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Santa Cruz is in competition with the Ridgeline and other mid size trucks but mostly the RL. The Mav is a totally different class...I hope

Hopefully the Mav has less of everything. I want a utilitarian minimalist truck not a flashy feature-laden toy

Sponsored

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
So I just read-up and watched info on the Santa Cruz. My initial impressions:

- It looks better than I thought it would. Less origami looking and more cohesive.
- The under floor storage AND roller top cover are brilliant
- I hate the 10" Primary Instrument Display.
- I hope the under seat storage area is optional. What is there is unworkable for me. It doesn't appear to be structural.
It looked to me like it pops right out, clearing the space.

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
Lots of features, terrific warranty, and the profile manages to avoid the bulbous, generic suv shape with a wedge shape that makes it look long and sleek, reminiscent of the old triumph tr7. Very fresh! This thing could really take off. If it did, that would be very, very good for the compact truck market. Imagine a dog pile of manufacturers scrambling to get their own compact truck out to the public!

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
Motor trend has done a good job of describing the features of the Santa Cruz truck bed:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-first-look-review-2/

The most useful aspect of it for me is a tailgate that lifts partially to support 4x8 sheet goods, along with ridges at the wheel wells. It is said to provide about 6 ft of length for support.

The 600 lb cargo bed payload is disappointing, but it's tiny anyway at 4 ft long. The tow ratings are very impressive. The naturally aspirated 2.5 L would appeal to people that want to keep it simple, and it would be plenty for family hauling.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I wasnā€™t really a fan of the styling during all the leaked images, but in production form, this is looking pretty good. I like the sound of the I4 2.5T engine option mated to an 8DCT. With 275HP/310TQ this is going to make a great daily with open bed space with admirable payload, towing and bed capacity specs.

Now, Ford doesnā€™t like to be out done in the power department, letā€™s see if they add their I4 2.3T engine option to match Hyundaiā€™s offering.

This segment seems decent and itā€™s just getting started.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Santa Cruz is in competition with the Ridgeline and other mid size trucks but mostly the RL. The Mav is a totally different class...I hope

Hopefully the Mav has less of everything. I want a utilitarian minimalist truck not a flashy feature-laden toy
The Hyundai is 195ā€ long. The Ridgeline is 210ā€, Tacoma 212ā€ and the Frontier is 205ā€. I bet this competes directly to the Maverick in the compact segment as the Ridgeline straddles the midsize-full size segment when comparing lengths/ widths.

Sponsored

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
Iā€™ll admit it looks better than I thought it would.

With that said, it still does nothing for me and I think the Maverick looks miles better.

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So I just read-up and watched info on the Santa Cruz. My initial impressions:

- It looks better than I thought it would. Less origami looking and more cohesive.
- The under floor storage AND roller top cover are brilliant
- I hate the 10" Primary Instrument Display.
- I hope the under seat storage area is optional. What is there is unworkable for me. It doesn't appear to be structural.
Agreed. I'd rather just a flat surface. Would be super simple to put the seats up and have some functional in-cab storage or space for my dog.
It looked to me like it pops right out, clearing the space.
They said the rear under seat storage is removable with 6 screws.

Reactions: Doc

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Only 600 lb. bed capacity. Wonder if the Maverick will best that.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Although Santa Cruz pricing wonā€™t be announced until Summer, itā€™s pretty easy to guess a ballpark. Since the Santa Cruz is based on the Santa Fe, I would expect its pricing to be similar. The 2021 Santa Fe starts at $27k with front wheel drive.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick made in Mexico. Santa Cruz made in Montgomery, Alabama. Iā€™m actually leaning toward Hyundai because of USA labor.
Supposedly designed in the US (California) as well.
Sponsored