First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mavrick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can remote start my lariat from in my office, in the middle of the building, thru 5 different walls with my key fob. Best fob range of any vehicle i’ve ever had….
Sponsored

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
not always ideal but the ford pass app is pretty much infinite range a long as the truck has cell signal and your phone has a data connection of some sort as well. I know, not what you were looking for. My fobs have excellent range. Have worked over 200 feet for remote start
Yeah the app is shit and I hate it, especially since they removed the Journeys (and where the hell did the acceleration analysis go??) but I find the lock/unlock feature useful when I forget the keys and I'm just grabbing an item.

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you try holding the key to your jaw/skull?! Seriously...

Can confirm - I've seen this episode and tested it in a large parking lot. It actually works, and far better than it should.

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can remote start my lariat from in my office, in the middle of the building, thru 5 different walls with my key fob. Best fob range of any vehicle i’ve ever had….
Lariat comes with the fancy keyfob yeah? I'm curious if the antenna in that keyfob is just more robust than the typical XL/T

n0maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tiguan, 2022 Maverick, 2013 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lariat comes with the fancy keyfob yeah? I'm curious if the antenna in that keyfob is just more robust than the typical XL/T
My XLT one seems very strong on signal. They are different though. I understand the app frustrations. I rarely use it unless I have to but my keyfobs work great. Hope it gets figured out for you. My escape is only about 30 feet range but pretty sure it's weak batteries. Not original owner so no clue how it was "fresh".

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have hybrid first edition lariat 369 all that poop. My key fob is usually in my pocket so it works fine. I believe some settings can be changed as how it can work which I have not done. Mine is set to unlock door from three feet away so when I get to maverick I can open the door. The doors on the other side of truck will not work until I get inside the truck because they are too far away while I am outside truck on the other side. My key fob buttons work over 300 feet distance locks, horn, and lights. I have not tried the alarm and do not remember what the 2X with the circle arrow headed button is for. I haven't tried it (am fraidy cat) but there is a square button near the bottom of key fob which has brushed nickel u shaped bottom of key fob. I suspect that square button is to release a physical "valet" key or perhaps to open door if 12v battery is dead? Any one dare to push that button. Could it be to summon a swat team? If so I am afraid to try it.
The 2X with the circle arrow headed button is for remote starting your Maverick. To do do, you have hit the Lock button, then the 2x button twice in quick succession. If it's successful you'll see a little green light on your fob, but you need to watch for because it happens quickly. If the process didn't work the light will be red.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 2X with the circle arrow headed button is for remote starting your Maverick. To do do, you have hit the Lock button, then the 2x button twice in quick succession. If it's successful you'll see a little green light on your fob, but you need to watch for because it happens quickly. If the process didn't work the light will be red.
Thanks, maybe I can remember when if ever I want to remote start. Am guessing the 2X label is code for push it twice, ✅✅. That should along with the circular arrow being code to "go nowhere" will help. Though generally I have trouble remembering associative clues. I have been known to reinvent obvious items multiple times.

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update 7/6: Service department wants to hold the truck for 5-7 days while they work through tickets, figures dealer wouldn't be much help for a "non-issue" like this.

Does anyone with a service manual have a diagram of factory-antenna location(s) for the keyfob transmitters? I'm hoping its a matter of the factory either not including enough or placing them in a location with interference.

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Think I found it:

RTM
The RTM communicates all RKE and passive key information to the BCM over a LIN circuit and when awake the CAN . The RTM is an antenna that receives the high frequency signals from passive keys. For additional information:

Refer to: Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems - System Operation and Component Description (501-14 Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems, Description and Operation).

Refer to: Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - Vehicles Without: Keyless Entry and Push Button Start - System Operation and Component Description (204-04B Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), Description and Operation).

Refer to: Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - Vehicles With: Keyless Entry and Push Button Start - System Operation and Component Description (204-04B Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), Description and Operation).
The RTM requires PMI when replaced. For additional information,
Refer to: Module Programming (418-01 Module Configuration, General Procedures).

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Radio Transceiver Module (RTM)
Removal

NOTE: Removal steps in this procedure may contain installation details.
NOTE: If installing a new module, it is necessary to upload the module configuration information to the diagnostic scan tool prior to removing the module. This information must be downloaded into the new module after installation.

Carry out the PMI procedure for the RTM .
Refer to: Module Configuration - System Operation and Component Description (418-01 Module Configuration, Description and Operation).
Lower the headliner.
Refer to: Headliner - Lowering (501-05 Interior Trim and Ornamentation, Removal and Installation).
Disconnect the electrical connector, then release the RTM bracket clips and remove the RTM .

Installation
To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Using the previous diagnostic scan tool session, carry out the PMI procedure for the RTM .
Refer to: Module Configuration - System Operation and Component Description (418-01 Module Configuration, Description and Operation).
© Copyright 2022, Ford Motor Company.

Sponsored
OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick XLT Keyfob Distance? 1657221216577

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
RKE (if equipped)
The RKE feature is controlled by the BCM . When a button is pressed, the TIC and RKE command is
received by the RTM (remote start vehicles) or the BCM (non-remote start vehicles). The RTM (remote start vehicles) interprets the information and sends a message to the BCM over a LIN circuit and, when the network is awake, over the CAN . If the BCM detects a programmed key, it carries out the command by controlling the door locks or activating the horn or turn signals as required. The BCM (non-remote start vehicles) interprets the ultra-high frequency signal from the passive key via its internal receiver. It then processes that information internally and carries out the command by controlling the door locks or activating the horn or turn signals as required

The RKE system can be used to:
l unlock the driver door and tailgate.
l unlock all doors.
l lock all doors.
l arm/disarm the perimeter alarm.
l activate/deactivate the panic alarm.
l remotely start the vehicle (if equipped).
l configure the staged lock programming (2-stage unlock or global unlock).

The RKE transmitters have a normal operating range of 30 m (98 ft) in an open air, no obstruction
environment.
The RKE transmitters and the BCM also utilize a rolling code to prevent the code from being captured by a code grabber. The system advances the counter in the RKE transmitter and the BCM every time a RKE transmitter button is pressed.

The message center displays Key Battery Low Replace Soon when the battery in the passive key (if
equipped) needs to be replaced.

RKE Transmitter Unlock (if equipped)
The RKE provides a staged process for unlocking the doors and tailgate. Upon receipt of the first request for unlocking the doors, the RKE feature unlocks only the driver door. If another unlock request is received within 3 seconds of the first, all the doors are unlocked. This feature can be disabled so that all the doors unlock on the first press of the unlock button (global unlock) through the message center.
Vehicles come from the factory set with the 2-stage unlock feature disabled (single press unlocks all
doors).
RKE Transmitter Lock (if equipped)
The RKE requests all of the doors lock and tailgate when the lock button is pressed.

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pinpoint Test N
N5 CHECK FOR REDUCED RANGE
NOTE: Make sure the vehicle is in an open area with no other large metal objects near, such as other vehicles or steel buildings.
NOTE: If the RKE functions when near the vehicle, but not at approximately 30m (98 ft), a poor range concern is present.

l Check all keys for normal range performance (approximately 30m (98 ft)).
Does any key experience a poor range concern?
Yes GO to Pinpoint Test P
No GO to N6

P2 CHECK ALL KEYS FOR POOR RANGE PERFORMANCE
NOTE: Make sure the vehicle is in an open area with no other large metal objects near, such as other vehicles or steel buildings.
l Check all keys for normal range performance (approximately 30 m (98 ft).
Do all keys experience poor range?
Yes GO to P5
No For an IKT , GO to P3
For a passive key, GO to P4

P3 CHECK THE KEY BATTERY
NOTE: Do not clean off any grease from the battery terminals on the back surface of the circuit board.
l Remove the key battery. Refer to the Owner's Literature for battery removal instructions.
l Verify the correct battery is used. Refer to the Owner's Literature.
l Measure the key battery voltage.

Is the voltage greater than 2.1 volts?
Yes REPLACE the suspect key. PROGRAM the new key.
REFER to: Anti-Theft Key Programming - Scan Tool (419-01B Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) - Vehicles Without: Keyless Entry and Push Button Start, General Procedures) .

No REPLACE the key battery (make sure the battery is seated correctly). DO NOT reprogram the key (weak or dead batteries do not erase keys from the BCM memory).

P4 CHECK THE PASSIVE KEY BATTERIES
NOTE: Do not clean off any grease from the battery terminals on the back surface of the circuit board.
l Remove the passive key batteries. Refer to the Owner's Literature for battery removal instructions.
l Verify the correct batteries are used. Refer to the Owner's Literature.
l Measure the key batteries voltage.

Are the voltages greater than 2.1 volts?
Yes REPLACE the suspect key. PROGRAM the new key.
REFER to: Anti-Theft Key Programming - Scan Tool (419-01B Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) - Vehicles Without: Keyless Entry and
Push Button Start, General Procedures) .

No REPLACE both key batteries (make sure the batteries are seated correctly). DO NOT reprogram the key (weak or dead batteries do not erase
keys from memory).

P5 CHECK THE LOCATION OF THE VEHICLE AND THE APPROACH ANGLES AROUND THE VEHICLE
l Make sure the poor performance is consistent in nature and is not from one approaching angle.
l The RKE transmitter range performance may be degraded in certain locations. For example, if the vehicle or RKE transmitter is within range of high-power devices, radio/TV towers, 2-way radios, cell phone charger or other radio communication device, the operating distance of the keys may be reduced.

Is the poor range performance consistent around the vehicle?
Yes INSTALL a new RTM .
REFER to: Radio Transceiver Module (RTM) (419-10 Multifunction Electronic Modules, Removal and Installation) .

No The system is operating correctly at this time. The range may have been affected by environmental interference such as high-power devices
or other radio communication device.

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So the short of it is likely a new RTM is needed for my case, reprogrammed keys n tested votages already but that's also where the service manual seems to end on it. Dealer already said they'd not prioritize (duh) and even if they had the RTM is definitely, for sure, on backorder.

Take me back to the days where we didn't have no fancy remote locks and electronic keys, we locked our doors with a metal stick! And started the car with a different metal stick, both ways! and we liked it damnit

Milton Jeff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2 DR Wrangler (Current)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice work, now you are a guy who really digs into things.. I'm noting this for future use. (If I ever get my Mav)
Sponsored