Sponsored

Would you pay for future upgrade to a 12"+ Sync 4/(5?) system?

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If Ford offered an upgrade a year or two in the future to upgrade the Sync 3 system to a 12"+ Sync 4/(5?) system that would eliminate the "ugly cubby", offer the latest technology and possibly an audio upgrade, would anyone bite or would you feel cheated from not having it from the get-go?

I would bite. Even as a Lariat/Lariat Package buyer, I realize that this vehicle is an economical option and some of the tech is hampered by the supply chain issues. I think getting a tech refresh mid cycle would help make it feel modern as it ages.

Thoughts? Price point?
Sponsored

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My first question would be how much? But realistically, I would not bite. Apple CarPlay does everything I need and I don't care about B&O or Fender or Kicker or any other kinda fancy speaker system. Not important to me.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No manufacturer has ever offered this to my knowledge. However, China is in rapid response mode pumping out android head units and plastic molds to fit a wide variety of seemingly proprietary designs. I'm sure they'll have a widescreen replacement in no time.

OP
OP
Red Ryder

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But, they won't.
You are correct, but while we wait, I thought it wouldn't hurt to have the discussion to see how much interest is generated.
This team that developed the Maverick seems to value modularity. But if not Ford, maybe the aftermarket will respond. Have you seen what Alpine has done with their Restyle kits?

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
I would be more likely to roll my own using a Pi or a Mac mini tbch but then I like to do those kinds of things. Also I really do not look at a screen unless backing up or at a stop in park, occasionally to check on upcoming blind curves so 12in is severe overkill for me.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If Ford offered an upgrade a year or two in the future to upgrade the Sync 3 system to a 12"+ Sync 4/(5?) system that would eliminate the "ugly cubby", offer the latest technology and possibly an audio upgrade, would anyone bite or would you feel cheated from not having it from the get-go?

I would bite. Even as a Lariat/Lariat Package buyer, I realize that this vehicle is an economical option and some of the tech is hampered by the supply chain issues. I think getting a tech refresh mid cycle would help make it feel modern as it ages.

Thoughts? Price point?
Not a big fan of the screens so the 8” is fine with me. Apple CarPlay and radio about do it for me; I’m hoping I can play a music thumb drive through usb. If the Maverick is as big of a hit as it seems to be, the aftermarket will be all over it with feature filled solutions. My prediction is that Crutchfield will have units available 6 months after the Maverick hits the showrooms.

OP
OP
Red Ryder

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not a big fan of the screens so the 8” is fine with me. Apple CarPlay and radio about do it for me; I’m hoping I can play a music thumb drive through usb. If the Maverick is as big of a hit as it seems to be, the aftermarket will be all over it with feature filled solutions. My prediction is that Crutchfield will have units available 6 months after the Maverick hits the showrooms.
I personally don't need the arcade sized screen either, I might have preferred the dash look like it were designed for the installed screen, but it will be alright. I do like the upgraded audio that the B&O will hopefully provide, but since I keep my vehicles for a long while, an upgrade here or there to match tech changes (CP and AA may be superseded one day) can be a positive thing.

BullyHayes

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Frontier Pro-4X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For me I'd just like Apple Carplay. From what I understand though, you need Sync 4 for that.

Waitingtosee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Explorer Limited, 2022 Ford Maverick FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For me I'd just like Apple Carplay. From what I understand though, you need Sync 4 for that.
Apple CarPlay is included on all trim levels. There is another thread that talks about it…

Sponsored

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Probably not. It's easy enough to just plug your phone in and use whatever apps you need through Carplay or Android Auto. It's about time every car manufacturer stopped reinventing the infotainment experience. Just let me use my phone.

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
I'd probably go for it

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know on the Mustangs' the aftermarket figured out how to do an 'upgrade' option (really was just replacing the original OE unit with a newer one):
Infotainment Mustang MyFord Touch Sync 2 to Sync 3 F-BDLMFTS3-15R3 (upgrades the old Sync 2 to Sync 3 and adds Carplay/Android Auto).

If Ford were to offer something to go to Sync 4 with the bigger screen, it could be a nice swap setup if the price isn't too outrageous if you want to stick with OE styling. I am okay with whatever as long as it works well enough to do what I need. I gotta have background sound while I drive
:)

[EDIT: As a side note, if you have Sync 3 but don't have Car Play/Android Auto, its a $80-ish upgrade to add it to the older S550s - replace the USB Hub in the center console with P/N P/N HU5Z-19A387-A and then do an update over Wifi. Thats how I got it in my 16.)

OP
OP
Red Ryder

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No because I would have to trade in my flip phone too

Xl trim and no display would be better so I can add my own audio system
Agreed. The audio is more important than the smartphone integration. I wish manufacturers would have settled on a standard (e.g. DIN-PANEL) with ODBC-like standardization that would have allowed the aftermarket headunit industry to thrive.
Sponsored