Sponsored

robmock

2.5L Hybrid
Member
First Name
rob
Joined
Jun 26, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
17
Reaction score
31
Location
Michigan
Vehicle(s)
2024 Lariat Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Wolfbox rear cam installed inside 3rd brake light assembly PXL_20260929_191612951


Wanted Wolfbox G900 Dash Cam for 3 reasons: blind spot mitigation, better view of cargo, and rear view with tailgate down.

Took me forever to install it because I hate hate hate the way it looks as an exterior installation; it looks like an afterthought to me. My eyes go right to them like a magnet, which is odd for me because I don't normally care about the way vehicles (mine or other folks') look.

Anyway, one day it hit me that maybe I could install it inside the 3rd brake light assembly. I asked an AI and it said yup, it'll fit. As an experiment, I ordered a $28 Nilight replacement brake light off Amazon. It is smoked, which helps hide the camera inside the unit. User Dave O did make a mention/question about this idea here, but I didn't see any followup by anyone.

Ford Maverick Wolfbox rear cam installed inside 3rd brake light assembly PXL_20260826_173745332


Used a Dremel to chop out space for the camera. Black urethane roof sealant holds camera in place. Yes, this was a no-going-back sort of experiment. Worth noting that in chopping out some of the guts, I did lose (cover) 2 of the 6 red brake leds. The 4 remaining are plenty bright, and I'm not concerned about violating a DOT rule about # of lumens here. I like that the finished job looks 'intentional' and it disappears from notice. I do need to get a pic of the red lights when the brakes are on; 2 on each side of the camera hole, so it looks balanced.

Ford Maverick Wolfbox rear cam installed inside 3rd brake light assembly PXL_20260929_195653798~2


The results? I'm delighted! I had originally thought about installing camera inside the cab, but the tinting costs too much light for my liking. See post here. Did I do a perfect job? Alas, no. While the urethane was curing (for a week), I failed to notice that I placed the camera a tiny bit off-center: see red arrow in above pic for the area I lost on that. I could bevel that edge of the hole and likely recover that area, but I'm guessing future me isn't going to do that. Walking around the truck, no one notices this; it looks perfect to passersby.

Lastly, a list of some thoughts
  • Just connected it a day ago, so no idea yet if water will get captured in the camera hole. This may be an argument to bevel that outer edge.
  • This video was great for getting up to the headliner via the passenger side C pillar. Only needed to do one side.
  • Once the stock brake light is out, you can see 2 white "cones". These are a sort of clip you'll need to release. Squeeze them with needle-nose to release. You may need to rotate them (also with needle-nose) before you can squeeze them.
  • Once I was done, it hit me that I really should have looked around for an extension M/F wire to get access to the brake assembly plug. As it stands now, if I want to put the stock light back in, I'll need to fiddle with the C pillar trim & headliner again because there is no other way to reach it. Adding a 6" extender in there would have been a great idea.
Sponsored

 

Glen Baker LLC

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2024
Threads
32
Messages
8,637
Reaction score
15,726
Location
Central Nevada & Utah
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Freaking slick.👍

It's always good to have a front and rear cam recording.


For those that say, 'Oh I have a rear view mirror.'
Your rear view mirror isn't recording.
 
Last edited:

F150 2.7 TT user

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Kenneth
Joined
Jun 10, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
272
Reaction score
487
Location
SE WI
Vehicle(s)
2026 Maverick Tremor, 2017 F150 XL 2.7
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
I chose to keep the rear camera inside the cab.
Ford Maverick Wolfbox rear cam installed inside 3rd brake light assembly 20260822_094820


No extra tint beyond factory window. Yeah I pulled the back seat headrests for better visibility out the back.
 

EffNo50

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
Jun 15, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
587
Reaction score
709
Location
Central California
Vehicle(s)
2024 Lariat Hybrid white on black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like this install ...very clean. For now I'm using the same camera that I've moved from my last vehicle, mounted inside:
Ford Maverick Wolfbox rear cam installed inside 3rd brake light assembly 1790795460355-3s


Ford Maverick Wolfbox rear cam installed inside 3rd brake light assembly 1790795507621-wu
 

Sponsored

huckabeec

2.5L Hybrid
Member
First Name
Craig
Joined
Jun 12, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
24
Reaction score
36
Location
Charleston, SC
Vehicle(s)
2003 F-150, 2026 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since the cargo light is the same as on some of the other Ford trucks that came with a cargo camera from the factory, I’ve wondered if that light body could be swapped out so you can use the factory looking setup on the Maverick. You’d have to finagle it a bit since the cargo camera is pointed down and the hole may need to be larger for an aftermarket camera. Just spitballing, but this setup looks great.
 

tpollauf

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Jan 15, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
237
Reaction score
348
Location
Toledo/Port Clinton, Ohio
Vehicle(s)
1992 F-150, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT, 2026 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs
 
I did a similar setup BUT bought the Morimoto 3rd brake light which worked out well to where I was able to attach the rear cam on top of it. Not real crazy that is sticks up a bit (flush & recessed like what you did looks better) but our results are the same. Love the expanded view it offers. It has taken a while to adjust to looking at a monitor instead of a piece of glass/mirror
Ford Maverick Wolfbox rear cam installed inside 3rd brake light assembly IMG_9009
Sponsored

 
 







Top