Why no tach in the hybrid?

RustyF150

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Grand Marquis, '69 Chevelle SS L-78 Conv.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know that the Hybrid Maverick is not equipped with a tachometer. Instead, is has a gauge to monitor/measure electric vs. ICE usage. But, is that due to it having an ECVT as opposed to a standard automatic transmission. Does a tach serve any purpose in a vehicle with a ECVT? Thanks.
Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mainly because a tach in a hybrid wouldn’t give you any useful, actionable information on the propulsion of the vehicle like it would in a gas-only engine. In a gas car, higher revs mean more power to the wheels, in the current gear. Not so with Hybrid operation.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The hybrid will endeavor to drag your engine revs to whatever is the most efficient number by moving your transmission gear ratios around. What that means is your tach wont move up and down like in a traditional vehicle. You also can't really tell what 'gear' you're in since you don't really have any. So without knowing your transmission ratio, and your engine being constantly manhandled down to its most fuel efficient levels, a tachometer probably isn't very useful, and probably wouldn't even be easy to read.

The bigger problem, I imagine, is that the tachometer can't tell you how much power you're getting from the battery. The best way to translate both engine and battery power to the driver is by "power %," vague as that perhaps can seem.

Last edited:

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve always pondered why a tach is on a vehicle with an automatic transmission.
Usually automatics still have a way to select a gear though (paddle shifters or slap the stick to the left and move it up and down etc), not so much on the Maverick though.

Sponsored

abcinv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Tundra DBL Cab Limited 4WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In our Lexus hybrid we get a tach if we put it in Sport mode (the display changes from blue to red), that would be a nice touch for the Maverick. But to keep cost down I'll gladly stick with no tach.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very similar to Shay's explanation for putting a throaty exhaust on a hybrid, the engine isn't doing anything remotely linear to the vehicle's motion.

A tachometer would dance around senselessly, not even providing meaningless entertainment.

I actually find the power meter engaging. Like Snax (Toby), I came from a manual background and was a bit apprehensive about driving a hybrid. I find traditional automatics annoying, especially the newer 8 or more speed autos that gear hunt incessantly.
I really like the eCVT and driving the Maverick. Learning how to maximize power management is sort of taking place of the manual transmission engagement. It keeps me happily involved with actually driving.

Last edited:

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve always pondered why a tach is on a vehicle with an automatic transmission.
Eye candy. Not really useful as the manumatics will override and prevent a shift north of redline. At least the ones I've experienced.

n0maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tiguan, 2022 Maverick, 2013 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i really enjoy the side by side kW gauge on fusion hybrid. ICE kW arch on top and EV kW underneath. Gives you a tach like equivalent. Has battery gauge and ICE/EV miles listed as well. Makes it easier to stay on EV when possible.

Sponsored

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i really enjoy the side by side kW gauge on fusion hybrid. ICE kW arch on top and EV kW underneath. Gives you a tach like equivalent. Has battery gauge and ICE/EV miles listed as well. Makes it easier to stay on EV when possible.
My Ford CMax Hybrid also has a side by side kW gauge for EV mode and ICE mode. Indeed this would be a useful.

I watched this gauge quite often. The surprising thing about the CMax gauge is that the electric motor and the gas engine are rarely on at the same time.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I know that the Hybrid Maverick is not equipped with a tachometer. Instead, is has a gauge to monitor/measure electric vs. ICE usage. But, is that due to it having an ECVT as opposed to a standard automatic transmission. Does a tach serve any purpose in a vehicle with a ECVT? Thanks.
I would enjoy the feedback. This is my first vehicle without a tach. The only control I have is with driving modes but it might make a nice diagnostic. You could put it on the hood. More functional then a fake air scoop.

Leand60

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
had a v6 with a cvt
the tach would go up to a rpm (that depending on the loud pedal) and mostly stay there.
basically the only gauge moving was the speedo as it shifted.
When in cruise the cvt "down shifted" to maintain speed on up/down grades, the tach would go up.
Sponsored