First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid, Corolla Hybrid
Engine
Undecided
I have a Hybrid Toyota Corolla eCVT along with my hybrid eCVT Maverick. The Toyota has a functional tach. When it is running off of battery, the tach shows 0. When the ICE kicks on the tach works like any other tach on an ICE car. Miss it on the Maverick.

Reactions: Guv

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I miss the transmission oil temp and engine oil pressure gauges a lot more than the tach in my Maverick hybrid. Never missed a tach in my old Prius-C, either. Pretty pointless, since it's generally either pointing at "0" or at the "optimal" RPM where the engine and eCVT are optimized to operate. And with the eCVT, it's not like you need to watch the RPM as you're accelerating and shifting...

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I miss the transmission oil temp and engine oil pressure gauges a lot more than the tach in my Maverick hybrid. Never missed a tach in my old Prius-C, either. Pretty pointless, since it's generally either pointing at "0" or at the "optimal" RPM where the engine and eCVT are optimized to operate. And with the eCVT, it's not like you need to watch the RPM as you're accelerating and shifting...
I would like to know the rpm of ice during engine braking! 😇

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
My Ford CMax Hybrid also has a side by side kW gauge for EV mode and ICE mode. Indeed this would be a useful.

I watched this gauge quite often. The surprising thing about the CMax gauge is that the electric motor and the gas engine are rarely on at the same time.
My 14 C-Max has a tach option, personally I use it to keep rpm under 3000.
It's got over 100,000 miles and I try to baby it a little bit, great car!

Sponsored

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 14 C-Max has a tach option, personally I use it to keep rpm under 3000.
It's got over 100,000 miles and I try to baby it a little bit, great car!
Indeed, the CMax Hybrid is a great car. My 2016 is for sale. Wish I could afford to keep it.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Indeed, the CMax Hybrid is a great car. My 2016 is for sale. Wish I could afford to keep it.
I just retired and was in a position to give our C-Max to our son. He has been doing a 5 mile city commute in his 2018 Fusion Sport and is pretty excited about possibly doubling his fuel economy and cutting the wear and tear down on his nice car.
If I ran across a good deal on another C-Max I would be tempted to jump on it. It was such a comfortable and reliable little car.

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The hybrid will endeavor to drag your engine revs to whatever is the most efficient number by moving your transmission gear ratios around. What that means is your tach wont move up and down like in a traditional vehicle. You also can't really tell what 'gear' you're in since you don't really have any. So without knowing your transmission ratio, and your engine being constantly manhandled down to its most fuel efficient levels, a tachometer probably isn't very useful, and probably wouldn't even be easy to read.

The bigger problem, I imagine, is that the tachometer can't tell you how much power you're getting from the battery. The best way to translate both engine and battery power to the driver is by "power %," vague as that perhaps can seem.
What would the Tach show when you are running on electric only mode? Zero, I can see lots of write in saying that their Tachs are intermittent. Then it would turn on and you would have a needle jump, that could be very distracting as well.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
What would the Tach show when you are running on electric only mode? Zero, I can see lots of write in saying that their Tachs are intermittent. Then it would turn on and you would have a needle jump, that could be very distracting as well.
A lot of new ones are a bar graph, no more distracting than a navigation screen going on.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i really enjoy the side by side kW gauge on fusion hybrid. ICE kW arch on top and EV kW underneath. Gives you a tach like equivalent. Has battery gauge and ICE/EV miles listed as well. Makes it easier to stay on EV when possible.
The hybrid % gauge is a tach of sorts. Display could be done better, perhaps with multiple visual scale rings with multiple pointers. An actual ice tach would be nice to determine if ice was on or not, scale could be green if powered and orange if engine braking. Pointer aka battery tach! showing rate of charge or discharge of HVB, another for 12v. Ford could charge extra for a tach package? Would be interesting to see what starter/generator was doing. When are hydraulic brakes being used? Aaarrrggghhh!

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Problem Solved:
C2D9F185-57FD-4F44-900C-6EB9162D5DB5.jpeg
Not bad and kinda-sorta true.

Except the bottom is 1250 and the top end is 5600. I've measured.

But it's also a horsepower gauge.
The first tick mark: 10% is really 19 horsepower : EV or ICE. The next, 20% is 38 horsepower; and so on.

Ya all have figured out by now you have to really baby it to stay all electric right? And you've noticed this is in the 10% and less zone, right?

That is what 19 horsepower feels like.
There is a 22 electric horsepower limit in EV. I've never seen more. The EV power limit is set, presumably, to keep enough power headroom to start the ICE at the same time the battery is propelling you.

Last edited:

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

We need someone to do a peel-n-stick decal to put on what is normally a useless gauge on the power side.