Sponsored

Why no grab handle above the driver side window?

sdr.speng

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't think I've ever used it myself in my previous vehicles, but I wonder why Ford didn't include a grab handle above the driver side window, if for nothing else, to give a balanced look to the interior. I haven't gotten my truck yet so maybe the pictures from the 360 degree view is not accurate. Can anyone confirm?
1640192107569.png

1640192181935.png
Driver is supposed to keep their hands on the steering wheel and not hang on to handle above their head. This is not a Tesla where you can just let go and watch YouTube Video's.
Sponsored

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD; 20 Escape SEL 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don't think I've ever used it myself in my previous vehicles, but I wonder why Ford didn't include a grab handle above the driver side window, if for nothing else, to give a balanced look to the interior. I haven't gotten my truck yet so maybe the pictures from the 360 degree view is not accurate. Can anyone confirm?
1640192107569.png

1640192181935.png
Yup, no grab handle. The order guide lists only 3.
It is cost cutting. My wife’s Escape doesn’t have one either. My Fusion has one and I will miss it. Edge has 4. It helps to get out, without yanking on the steering wheel, which is an odd angle.
For righthand drive Escapes, they have 4. I believe the hole, to put it in, is in the sheet metal. However, the headliner isn’t indented to be able to put it in. I haven’t been able to see a pic of the sheet metal of the Maverick, so not sure what is there.
So you are not the only one that wants it, and you can see I have done some research; but no ’fix’ yet.

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It’s not there because with one, you’ll grab it, swing back a bit getting in and tear off a belt loop or two in the process on the door striker. Jeep people will get this! :LOL:

In reality, probably to maximize headroom for tall drivers. The drivers side always tends to have less space obviously than the passenger side so it was probably dropped to keep that headspace as open as possible since the middle already has the sunglasses holder or sunroof if equipped.
I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't be able to get my short self into my YJ without the roll bar lol.

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
1640192107569.png

1640192181935.png
This is, indeed, a major disappointment. I would have expected more in a $20k vehicle. I will be canceling my order.

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1640192107569.png

1640192181935.png
I use the one on my Escape daily. If your low back hip area starts hurting, you will beg for one.

Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The best answer is in order to build a truck with such a low price Ford had to remove certain standard options to keep costs low.

That's it.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the same reason they used incandescent bulbs instead of LED in many places, every cent adds up when making tens of thousands of vehicles.

Personally, I wouldn't really miss it, as you can grab onto the wheel to help you into the car after massively overeating at that Chinese buffet they kicked you out of after two hours of binging or when pulling some massive G's autocrossing your new hybrid Mav. Its the passenger that really needs it and they are covered.

2022MAVERICKAWDCT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK XLT AWD FX4 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yup, no grab handle. The order guide lists only 3.
It is cost cutting. My wife’s Escape doesn’t have one either. My Fusion has one and I will miss it. Edge has 4. It helps to get out, without yanking on the steering wheel, which is an odd angle.
For righthand drive Escapes, they have 4. I believe the hole, to put it in, is in the sheet metal. However, the headliner isn’t indented to be able to put it in. I haven’t been able to see a pic of the sheet metal of the Maverick, so not sure what is there.
So you are not the only one that wants it, and you can see I have done some research; but no ’fix’ yet.
But they do put holes in your gas tank when you order a spray-in bedliner, no extra charge! :ROFLMAO:

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
1640192107569.png

1640192181935.png
most vehicles don't, I have an 89 GM & 04 Ford, each has only 3. I've really noticed this the last few years, as I have trouble getting out of my cars now, so I have to reach out & up to grab the roof for assistance, steering wheel is only good for getting in & I don't need that help, yet. One reason I am moving to a Maverick, perfect height for me I don't have to step up or down to get in or out.

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don’t recall one in any car I have owned

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hdang1980

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to point it out as something to discuss and joke about as a means to pass the time while we wait for our trucks.

I agree it is a cost cutting measure. I don't think it's a deterrent to keep both hands on the wheel since I can't imagine a normal person's forearm being that long to reach up there.

Jdub

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I still want to know what that silver dollar sized thing is on the drivers pillar?
That is the microphone for your bluetooth.

riverrat373

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Escape, 2009 Ford f150 Supercab 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1640192107569.png

1640192181935.png
What would be the point?