Sponsored

Why are so many Mavericks getting rear ended?

RebellaE

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, Lux, 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The regen braking on the Maverick is so slight, its similar to coasting in an ICE car. If you've ever driven a "real" EV with "real" regen, it feels like someone actively hit the brakes. That's why the Maverick doesn't need it.
I suspect Mavericks are not getting hit from behind more than other cars, but I feel like they may get totaled from it more often??? Possibly because the strength of the tow hitch is more likely to bend the structure of the vehicle, rather than a car with a squishy bumper.
Sponsored

Msjulie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Atlas Blue Metallic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but don't the brake lights come on when you step on the brake pedal? My understanding is that they do. Regen braking when you take your foot off the gas, no. And that is what I would expect. Brake lighting every time you take your foot off the brake would be like the idiots that ride the brake pedal and you see those lights coming on and off constantly and you don't know what he's doing.
The properly engineered cars don't turn the brake light on all the time on coasting (even our Audi Hybrid was smarter than that)

The brake lights come on only under the right conditions ie regen has caused the car's deceleration to hit a threshold that light braking would likely also have accomplished and similar

I used to use manual gear box downshifting to avoid brake lights but it was also for control of the car.

These days, the clueless masses paying attention to their phone vs driving often have me tapping my brakes just to (hopefully) prod them to up their gaze even just a little.

Personally I would rather see an EV informing me the car in front is decelerating vs just light coasting and I think the majority of inattentive drivers suggest it has value.

Reactions: zf1

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Glad I don't live in some overpopulated cesspool. Not that following too close doesn't happen, it just happens less often. I grew up in areas like that and I'll never go back. I'll take occasional rural idiots over the more frequent city idiots any day.

Last edited:

BoskoPColtrane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bosko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems like a very high percentage of Mavericks are getting rear ended. Most of the accident posts here are about getting rear ended. I read an article recently about a huge salvage company somewhere in the Midwest that is buying up all the totaled Mavs and the majority have rear end damage. Certainly Idiots on cell phones and texting are a contributing factor but you would expect the rate to be the same as all vehicles. Idiots don t discriminate. So that can’t be the only reason
One thing I suspect with Hybrids is one pedal driving. Ford did not put a simple $25 part in the hybrids that would engage the brake lights when the vehicle is regen braking like most other hybrids and EV’s do. Maybe the NHTSA will pick up on this and order a recall.
Couple of questions for the group.
Of those that have been rear ended did to you replace the stock brake bulbs with brighter led’s like Lasfits?
If you are running the replacement LED’s do you think they make a difference?
Basicly, does anyone have any good ideas to prevent this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
You are just hearing more of it on this site because this is where people are posting. Mavericks do not have a higher incidence of crashes over other vehicles. My brake lights come on as I apply my brakes. Not sure where you heard the brake lights don’t come on during regen braking.

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So if you are decelerating fast it’s not a good idea to make sure the person behind you knows? I understand the argument that is their problem. But on roads where the majority of vehicles today have automatic transmissions you have no real choice but to hit your brake pedal in an automatic right? If it is such a bad idea why do all EV’s do it? Why do most hybrids do it?
But that really isn’t the question. The real question is why is it not a good idea? Not just because that is not the way it is done with manual transmissions. Not being argumentative I am looking for an answer. I really don’t want to lose my Mav over a stupid rear end collision that maybe could be avoided.
I'm speculating, but if you've ever been in heavy moving traffic you'll notice that when someone cuts into the left lane close to a driver, the first driver may just tap their brakes but 10 to 15 cars back they're practically coming to a dead stop. It's the same principle as when the light turns green, not all the cars move. When the brake light comes on in front of you, you don't know if that car is panic braking or just slowing down. There is a reason you're supposed to keep 3 seconds back (I know that's impossible some times). Not sure I'd want additional break lights coming on when the person might simply be slowing down.

Sponsored

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It seems like a very high percentage of Mavericks are getting rear ended. Most of the accident posts here are about getting rear ended. I read an article recently about a huge salvage company somewhere in the Midwest that is buying up all the totaled Mavs and the majority have rear end damage. Certainly Idiots on cell phones and texting are a contributing factor but you would expect the rate to be the same as all vehicles. Idiots don t discriminate. So that can’t be the only reason
One thing I suspect with Hybrids is one pedal driving. Ford did not put a simple $25 part in the hybrids that would engage the brake lights when the vehicle is regen braking like most other hybrids and EV’s do. Maybe the NHTSA will pick up on this and order a recall.
Of those that have been rear ended did to you replace the stock brake bulbs with brighter led’s like Lasfits?

Like others who comment, I think statistics are needed. It's probably safe to assume since cell phone texting has come about, there are probably more rear endings. I ride a motorcycle and half the times I narrowly miss an accident, the other driver is on the cell phone. It's gotten so bad I keep my bike at my country cottage as I don't even enjoy riding in traffic.

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Robert C

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because for many of us they are imaginary and not yet visible.
People drive right into them.

bbeverag

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick 2.0 EB Lariat Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
rear endings happen. My 2009 Honda Civic Si was rear-ended as I waited at a stop sign. My 2013 Dodge Dart was rear-ended while I was at a stop light. In both cases I am sure my brake lights were illuminated. It's not unique to this vehicle in any way.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The regen braking on the Maverick is so slight, its similar to coasting in an ICE car. If you've ever driven a "real" EV with "real" regen, it feels like someone actively hit the brakes. That's why the Maverick doesn't need it.
I suspect Mavericks are not getting hit from behind more than other cars, but I feel like they may get totaled from it more often??? Possibly because the strength of the tow hitch is more likely to bend the structure of the vehicle, rather than a car with a squishy bumper.
It's amazing how many people don't read the whole thread before posting.

Sponsored

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do the brake lights stay on when stopped, but your foot is off the pedal because you're using Brake Hold?
Yup! My granddaughter and I just spent 15 delightful minutes double-checking that they do.

Last edited:

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I installed one [two-channel dash cam]. Peace of mind.
Helpful for insurance liability, but it won't prevent an accident.

CraigG23

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Regen works best with some brake pedal pressure, which will activate the break light. We are not able to drive with just one pedal like true EV’s.

Gardner79

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2017 Toyota Sienna
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have seen ZERO evidence provided that Mavs get rearended more than other vehicles. This is a matter of perception.

Rear ending is a common accident that occurs. People post pictures of their accidents. They do not usually post if it is their own fault, i.e. they rear end someone else. They do not post everytime they drive and do not have an accident.
Sponsored