2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The back and forth on merits of hybrid vs eco can go on all day but if you have to have AWD the discussion is over!
Same if you want high city/hilly mileage, lower maintenance costs, don't want AWD, major towing, or a turbo.

The back & forth continues.... ;)
Sponsored

Markii56

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the Avalon 12/22/23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had my hybrid XLT 1 month and put 2200 miles on it; over half were interstate roads. Current average mileage? Exactly 42mpg. My everyday driving is local roads, and neatly every one of them here in Pinellas county has a 45 mph speed limit. I'm confident my average mpg will only increase as time goes by, probably approaching 45mpg. For me, the Maverick hybrid is the perfect vehicle.

OP
OP

mhigham2022

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Exactly. They are both great for their intended purpose. This was just a fun post but of course itā€™s some peoplesā€™ first day on the internet. I have driven them both a lot and might even get a hybrid for personal use.

Definitely many valid reasons to get an ecoboost. With the current wait and price change, we might have considered an ecoboost today - although likely would have gone with another hybrid sedan (as long as it could fit our camping gear, paddlebaords, and capability of putting a decent bike rack).

Doubt all you want, on-board computer says 51.2mpg in the first 8k miles. Almost every single tank has gone >700 miles. About half of those miles are my wife's all highway work commute, and she has no concern for fuel efficiency (I obviously do). i definitely have to play all the little games (use slippery mode, not go over speed limit, coast down hills to kick into electric, etc.) to get highway mileage like that - I admittedly drive mindfully, with efficiency in mind - but I am not the only member of this forum averaging >50mpg overall in the hybrid. Around town and on rolling hill roads (which we have a ton of in my area), it takes little effort to get >50.

OP and I have different purposes. The Maverick is our primary family adventure vehicle; we fill the bed with camping gear, our bikes, our paddleboards, and my wife takes it to work a few times a week. But we're not towing anything or "driving like a bat out of hell" with a bed full of tools on highway runs. The ecoboost appears to be pretty darn fuel efficient for a pickup, but under "normal conditions" the hybrid destroys it in efficiency. We all have different needs and wants for our vehicles, mine is just different than OPs and the offshoot is significantly better efficiency. I'm certainly glad the eco meets OPs needs.

xlt 1602

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe crv
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hot summer trip from Chicago to Wisconsin with about 300 pounds of tools. ā€˜22 XL Ecoboost FWD

IMG_0292.jpeg
I think the # show most of ecoboost owners wanted a hybrid but they could not hold up a year are more to get one are you needed the awd.

Sponsored

Reconditioner

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There was one time I was driving on the state highway and drove over an hour out of town. By the time I arrived, I averaged 38 mpg, and that's with AWD! I was so impressed! My most fuel efficient vehicle ever. However, it's a totally different story in the city which is where most of my driving takes place. I typically average 23-24 mpg which is nowhere near as good as what it can do on the highway. That's where the hybrid makes sense. However, I didn't want it since the truck will eventually move to a cold, northern climate so I had to get AWD. Also, the horror stories when the first hybrids were released scared me away from them. As nice as it would be to average 35-40 mpg at all times, I'm willing to sacrifice for better reliability and capability.
The internet has been full of horror stories about everything I have bought since about 2000. Makes some people feel smart and important, I guess. My brother hated his Cadillac. Go figureā€¦

OP
OP

mhigham2022

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Drive my Commute. You won't crack 18 mpg. That is where the hybrid shines. Stop and go city, easily double the EB MPG.
Thatā€™s great but it spends very little time in slow traffic. A hybrid is great and I might get one for personal use, but it would have been the wrong choice for this application. Itā€™s good to have bandwidth and separation in your models. The Maverick with both choices available gives it the ability to get great milage in a wider set of applications.

OP
OP

mhigham2022

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've had my hybrid XLT 1 month and put 2200 miles on it; over half were interstate roads. Current average mileage? Exactly 42mpg. My everyday driving is local roads, and neatly every one of them here in Pinellas county has a 45 mph speed limit. I'm confident my average mpg will only increase as time goes by, probably approaching 45mpg. For me, the Maverick hybrid is the perfect vehicle.
Thatā€™s fantastic. Sounds like the perfect application for it.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thatā€™s great but it spends very little time in slow traffic. A hybrid is great and I might get one for personal use, but it would have been the wrong choice for this application. Itā€™s good to have bandwidth and separation in your models. The Maverick with both choices available gives it the ability to get great milage in a wider set of applications.
West Chicago driving is pretty optimal for driving compared to my 1.3 Mile commute with 9 turns, 7 stop signs, 1 stop light and potential train delay and top speed limit of 35 on the route. I have about the hardest short commute you can come up with. Vehicles love those 40-50mph steady speeds common in your area.

Gschaef

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To emphasize a point, do not base your true MPG for either model on the dash display. The only true measure is to manually divide miles driven since your last fill up by gallons of gas purchased. That reading has always been less than the display on mine. The last tank showed over 42 MPG on display but was actually 38. The Maverick hybrid is listed as having a 13.6 gallon tank but it is definitely larger than that, which may add to the discrepancy. But still great results for either choice.

Sponsored

Bill K

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A hybrid is for Cheap Bastā€”ds like me. I have a 5000 mile average of 46 mpg.
at that rate Iā€™m saving $1400 a year compared to my previous Nissan Frontier. I love it!

OP
OP

mhigham2022

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the # show most of ecoboost owners wanted a hybrid but they could not hold up a year are more to get one are you needed the awd.
My original day 1 order was the $19,995 truck. XL hybrid, no options. It only got changed to EB because of the lead time was like a year since XL are of little priority and hybrids are production limited. When it was changed to EB/FWD, it was optioned with 4K tow. I had a day 1 order, but since I changed powertrain, I didnā€™t get the free AWD. At least thatā€™s how my dealer explained it, but they have since proven less than competent.

BluegrassNbass

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Clif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

To emphasize a point, do not base your true MPG for either model on the dash display. The only true measure is to manually divide miles driven since your last fill up by gallons of gas purchased. That reading has always been less than the display on mine. The last tank showed over 42 MPG on display but was actually 38. The Maverick hybrid is listed as having a 13.6 gallon tank but it is definitely larger than that, which may add to the discrepancy. But still great results for either choice.
13.8 (y)

Ford Maverick Who needs a hybrid anyways?! 712260700

OP
OP

mhigham2022

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I do keep track since itā€™s business use. This was just a fun post really. This is kind of an outlier trip, real cumulative average is right about 28.5. My trip to the west into the wind and rain yesterday certainly was lower. This trip was easy traffic and me not being in a hurry since it was a rare overnight trip. Most times Iā€™m slingshotting to a waiting customer and with higher load.

I donā€™t think I have ever put 13 gallons into even the EB tank. Itā€™s always good when they understate that. Iā€™ve had cars where that wasnā€™t true and never got remotely close to stated capacity.

BluegrassNbass

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Clif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Why would someone buy a Ecoboost and put it in economy mode to save fuel?
:unsure:
Sponsored