What's that noise?

RustyF150

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Grand Marquis, '69 Chevelle SS L-78 Conv.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Whenever I open the doors to my Hybrid XLT I hear a sequence of clicks that sound like relays or switches activating. It lasts several seconds to nearly 30 seconds. Anyone know what they are? I'm assuming it's normal but it's seems unusual. Thanks
Sponsored

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As far as I know its the high voltage connectors making contact in preparation of the Vehicle being started.

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Normal. Our 2013 Prius C does this. It’s a hybrid thing.

BenGalFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW Jetta GLI
As far as I know its the high voltage connectors making contact in preparation of the Vehicle being started.
I agree. I can't say EXACTLY what it is doing, but I have a 2012 VW Jetta that has always done this as well since I bought it. (still waiting on my mav). But this is normal operation for modern vehicles. I also hear similar whirs and clicks after I park the car in my garage and turn it off. part of a shutdown procedure.

AnthonyMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Electrical connections and stuff like that. Our VW’s have all done this too. The loudest one being the fuel pump prime and throttle body/fuel rail making lots of clocks and buzzes. They’re becoming self-aware

Sponsored

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My non-hybrid XL also makes a series of buzzes and clicks. It's just part of modern day computer-controlled electronic everything.

JanTheSexyVektan

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sometimes I walk back out in the garage half an hour after parking it and it's still reconfiguring it's innards. I just say, "Nice to see you too."

Stock411

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Try turning it off and sitting in it for 5 mins. Lots of weird noises and pumping sounds too. Sounds like the brake booster is making a thud noise but who knows?

Pouncer

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Regarding the clunks and click noises when the Maverick hybrid is off, and the key removed, even five or ten minutes later... (yes, we hear it too, all the time)

Has anyone experimented by leaving the key away from the truck -- in the house, say -- while sitting in the truck in the driveway for any length of time. How long before it finally quit clicking?
Sponsored