Sponsored

What supplementary braking system are you using for flat-towing?

Wiz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hot Pepper Red with BAP on order.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I installed my Demco base-plate yesterday, and started reading about installing the Roadmaster Even Brake last night, when I discovered it's not compatible with the Maverick!!!
Roadmaster says: "This vehicle has the equivalent of full-time, "active" brakes. Use only InvisiBrake or BrakeMaster. If using Invisibrake, start the brake pressure at 20 psi and adjust up if additional braking force is desired. If using BrakeMaster, you will also need Brake Pressure Reducer #900002. Only use braking systems whose braking force can be significantly reduced to prevent vehicle brake damage. "

I already own two Even Brakes. One is a nearly new one the seller threw in with my coach purchased last summer as well as a much older one that I bought used several years ago. I bought the "second vehicle install kit" for the newer one so I would have everything needed to install it.
We're leaving in two weeks on an 8500 mile trip, and have to tow a vehicle. I would prefer a braking system that is easily moved to a second vehicle as we actually have two Mavericks, and I might want to set up the second one in the future but that's a not a big factor in deciding.

I did find this thread: https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...-tow-braking-system-do-you-use-and-why.43008/ dicussing braking systems.
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
F.F.

Ford Maverick What supplementary braking system are you using for flat-towing? 1715179294000-0u

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I installed my Demco base-plate yesterday, and started reading about installing the Roadmaster Even Brake last night, when I discovered it's not compatible with the Maverick!!!
Roadmaster says: "This vehicle has the equivalent of full-time, "active" brakes. Use only InvisiBrake or BrakeMaster. If using Invisibrake, start the brake pressure at 20 psi and adjust up if additional braking force is desired. If using BrakeMaster, you will also need Brake Pressure Reducer #900002. Only use braking systems whose braking force can be significantly reduced to prevent vehicle brake damage. "

I already own two Even Brakes. One is a nearly new one the seller threw in with my coach purchased last summer as well as a much older one that I bought used several years ago. I bought the "second vehicle install kit" for the newer one so I would have everything needed to install it.
We're leaving in two weeks on an 8500 mile trip, and have to tow a vehicle. I would prefer a braking system that is easily moved to a second vehicle as we actually have two Mavericks, and I might want to set up the second one in the future but that's a not a big factor in deciding.

I did find this thread: https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...-tow-braking-system-do-you-use-and-why.43008/ dicussing braking systems.
I have an OLD big BrakeBuddy (now called a Classic) that I've used for 20+ years in many different vehicles. I now use it towing the Maverick or a 2015 JKU. I set it to 40 PSI pressure (a little light for the weight) and I drop the sensitivity way down to 2. It does have the alert system so I am able to see if it actually goes on.

I have learned to drive RVs in a manner not to really need supplemental braking, except for:
1. To be legal
2. Panic stops (I've had one of those since 2000 in about 120,000 miles of flat-towing)
3. In case of a breakaway.

This next trip, I am going to try powering the BrakeBuddy with a 201 wh lithium power bank (after initial charge) instead of hardwiring it into the Maverick, since unlike the Jeep I also tow, no outlet remains powered in the Maverick.

I bench-tested this concept and found it able to re-charge the compressor 3 times and remain at 94% capacity. I'll be able to determine whether this is a good idea or not fairly quickly, stopping at least every 6 hours as mandated for the Maverick.

I am towing with a Ford Transit 350-HD based LTV, and it did just fine on my last 2622 mile trip through the rockies in Montana to WA, to OR and back to WY.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have learned to drive RVs in a manner not to really need supplemental braking, except for:
1. To be legal
2. Panic stops (I've had one of those since 2000 in about 120,000 miles of flat-towing)
3. In case of a breakaway.
I agree, we towed our CRV behind our Class C for 20 years without a brake system. Now I have 40' DP with air brakes but do want to be legal and safe as possible.

I'm surprised I haven't got more responses, I thought there were a lot of Motorhome owners pulling Mavericks.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree, we towed our CRV behind our Class C for 20 years without a brake system. Now I have 40' DP with air brakes but do want to be legal and safe as possible.

I'm surprised I haven't got more responses, I thought there were a lot of Motorhome owners pulling Mavericks.
There are a few of us...even a few of us with the same brand of RV---a Leisure Travel Van. Mine is a 2021 WonderRL.

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think manufacturers of auxiliary braking systems just don't want to "approve" their systems for Hybrid use. There may be some issues that Hybrid vehicles present, and if the system isn't damned perfect owners will bitch about it. So, it is easier to just say they are not approved.
I use the Ready Brake mechanical braking system. It too has "issues" with towing the Maverick. It can surge noticeably on medium to hard braking. I fixed that with a shock absorber attached to the brake arm on the Ready Brake. Which to me was a lot less hassle than fooling with setting up an electric/air powered system sitting in the floor EVERY time you tow.
As Brad says, being legal is important. So you must have auxiliary braking. Second, there is likely a setting that will work well with a hybrid. As long as you are not locking the toads wheels under normal braking, all is well.....

Bert Rooster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Toyota T-100, 06 Jeep Liberty, 2018 Tiffin MH
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use a RVI Brake II. I did have to experiment with the settings to avoid having it engage during normal braking. Now it only engages during hard braking as it did when used in my Jeep Liberty. Now I just need to remember what settings I used for the Jeep if I decide to tow it.

Reactions: Wiz

Wz3mo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been using the Blue Ox Patriot for 3,000 miles with no issues . Set at level 2 sensitivity and braking.
Sponsored

Reactions: Wiz