Sponsored

What do you like LEAST about the Maverick?

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
First thing I plan to do when I get the vehicle is to build a nice removable plug for that slot.

Do you have a 3D printer? Any chance you'd be willing to make and ship one for me? Obviously, I'd be willing to pay for such a product.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 Ranger '11 Edge '20 Kicks
They could have, but then people would be complaining about sub-par crash results and structure. I know 5-6" may not seem like much, but when you are talking about crash, it can be the difference between 5 star and 3 star or less.
I like the point you make, but I must ask, how do you know this? Not interested in being a smart ass, simply curious because I like to think you made this statement with some expertise into this matter. Cheers!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Optional fog lights. Cruise control on XL or even for small $. Bigger screen on center dash. All the safety features made available on 360 option, all models. Optional trim/seats. Optional sound system as stand alone $. Sport appearance package (whatever that might include)
I too looked for optional fog lights. When I didn't see them initially on the XL I figured they were at least optional for an XLT, but then when they weren't available, I looked for them on a Lariat and when I seen they weren't part of the Lariat package I thought they must only be available for the Lariat First Edition package. I was wrong there too. Fog lights are not available for the Maverick at all on any trim level for any package. Not a deal breaker for me, but certainly a disappointment.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's actually the perfect size for sunglasses (assuming it's deep enough)... and doesn't make them scalding hot in the summer like the ones in the ceiling, or difficult to get to, like the space behind the screen... just my 2¢..
If it is deep enough for sunglasses, then I certainly see the value.
I wish it had a pullout drawer or cover. I don't mind open storage lower in the console, but this is right below eye level.
It will be interesting to see how buyers use it and whether it becomes an eyesore.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I helped my daughter move today and the big ticket items left on the list were her washer and dryer. I loaded them up in my '05 Ranger extended cab 4x4 XLT and moved them to where they need to go with no problems. We loaded them in the bed of my truck one in front of the other, dryer first and washer second, and they were transported with the tailgate up. There was enough room leftover we also put her microwave oven and floor-standing dehumidifier between the washer and the tailgate. On the drive to their destination point it occurred to me the bed of the Maverick would not be capable of loading a standard size washer and dryer end-to-end or side-by-side in its bed with the tailgate up. It will with about a foot to spare to the edge of the tailgate down, but thats the only way it could handle such a common size load for any truck. I dont haul a load like that very often, but I do on a semi-regular basis. This is definitely enough to raise my eyebrows and puts bed hauling capacity into some sort of context. Enough to deter me from considering a purchase? I need to think about it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jukebox Nero

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
Do you have a 3D printer? Any chance you'd be willing to make and ship one for me? Obviously, I'd be willing to pay for such a product.
Actually, I don't have a 3D Printer, but I am good with casting epoxy and even better at woodcarving (I make Briar pipes as a hobby when I have spare time). I was planning on carving one out of some scrap wood and staining to match my interior. I wish they would provide the dimensions for the slot before too much longer.

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually, I wish there was a color option for green. Ford just announced new colors for the F-150. I wished they were also offered on the Maverick.

New color called “Guard”
1624887586807.jpeg
Yes. 🤤 That looks fantastic.

Maybe it will be?

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
I too looked for optional fog lights. When I didn't see them initially on the XL I figured they were at least optional for an XLT, but then when they weren't available, I looked for them on a Lariat and when I seen they weren't part of the Lariat package I thought they must only be available for the Lariat First Edition package. I was wrong there too. Fog lights are not available for the Maverick at all on any trim level for any package. Not a deal breaker for me, but certainly a disappointment.
They will be available sooner or later. The bumper has a place for them.

Sponsored

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
Honestly the only thing I truly am upset about is the rear seat being a bench. Gonna make my plans to rip it out and build a platform a lot harder. The original plan was to rip out the 60 part and build a platform for my milwaukee packout drawers then leave the 40 part for the two times in ten years I ever have had a backseat passenger. I guess now Im just gonna tear the whole thing out and build the platform across the whole back seat.

Everything else is fine. I dont care in the slightest about having cruise control, I 1000% prefer having a real key for startup, all the tie downs and stuff can be added later on to the Xl so no problem there. The whole rest of the truck is great overall in its base XL trim. Toss on the 4k tow package and 110v charge port for my tool charger and Im set. And of course option on the 2.0 and awd, thats obvious.
I believe those blanks in the bumper are where the tow hooks go for the fx4 package.
Perhaps, but I see no reason they couldn't be utilized (either by Ford or some aftermarket company) for fog lights, especially if it a solid enough mounting point for tow hooks. You just couldn't have tow hooks AND fog lights.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually, I wish there was a color option for green. Ford just announced new colors for the F-150. I wished they were also offered on the Maverick.

New color called “Guard”
1624887586807.jpeg
Green is my favorite, but since there is none available, I ordered Velocity Blue. Personally tired of white, black, silver and gray.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
- No hybrid with AWD and 4K tow.
Had that been an option, I would be in line to order one. But I don't need a new vehicle immediately, so I'm going to wait two or three years.

sure seems to be a lot of glass 1/2 empty posters visiting here now.
People will always find something to complain about, even if it's very superficial.

Lack of 60/40 flip up rear seat. One- piece rear seat is indefensible.
That's what turned me off the Ranger, and another reason why I currently have a Nissan Frontier. Not a whole lot of other vehicles I can think of have a 100/0 seat, except some sedans.

My '00 F-250 had a 100/0 seat, but Ford switched it to a 60/40 seat in '01 with the interior update.

This is the first time for me to buy a model in its first generation.
As a lifelong Ford person and former dealership mechanic (not for Ford), my personal rule is to not buy a Ford before at least the first MMC (Minor Model Change; AKA mid-cycle refresh).

My '99 F-150 got the updated exterior and interior and PI heads.
My '00 F-250 got the PI heads (bumping HP from 285 to 310 on the ole V10).
My '16 Edge got the updated exterior and interior, and a lot of foam to fix the rattles.

Wish I waited until '00 to buy the F-150 so I could've gotten a crew cab.
Wish I waited until '01 to buy the F-250 so I could've gotten the 60/40 rear seat.

The list goes on...

How many people here remember when you needed to stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight, then climb out and turn the hub locks on the wheels to engage 4WD?
Both my F-250s had MSOS (Manual-Shift-On-Stop) even though ESOF (Electronic Shift On the Fly) was an option. Hardest part was pulling the shifter into 4-low when the dog clutches were just slightly off. I would let the truck roll at 1mph in neutral, then applied just a bit of pressure on the shift lever until it'd key in.

My mother used to say "find the faults you can live with" as in no relationship is 100% perfect.
Yup. Life is all about compromise. Pick what is important to you and move on.

I wish they could have reduced the engine bay by 5", pushed the cab forward, and offered a 5' bed.
Outside of crash test ratings, I think they may have strategically chosen a 4.5' bed for market segmentation. Sort of like how:
  • Crew cab Ranger comes with a 5' bed, and a "long" bed if they offered it would likely be 6'.
  • Crew cab short bed F-150 comes with a 5.5' bed, optional 6.5' bed.
  • Crew cab short bed F-250 comes with a 6.75' bed, optional 8' bed.
Yes, the regular and extended cab F-150 can come with a 8' bed, and the old Ranger regular cab had an optional 7' bed, but I'm specifically talking about crew cabs, since that's what the Maverick ships as.

Adjustable tie down bar is a dealer installed option, you can make something similar for real cheap.
Tacoma and Frontier guys use unistrut, commonly found at hardware stores. On past trucks, I used aviation L-track screwed to the sides of the bed rails and the floor of the bed. I preferred it over unistrut since the L-track is aluminum and thus doesn't rust.

The Maverick makes this even easier for XL folks because there's already a nice recess in each bed tub wall.

As for the additional tie down points, something tells me the weldnuts for them will be on every truck, so it might be as simple as just buying the parts and bolting them in.

Optional fog lights.
In my experience, OEM fog lights are just there for looks. I get better performance out of some Hella 500s or generic DOT LED fog lights. But it's always easier to modify what is there than start wiring and installing something from scratch, so OEM fog lights would be nice to cut down on time.

That said, the inability to load 4' sheet goods on the floor nullifies this as you have to put 2x4's up in notches in the bed and then lift the sheet goods up to this level which is a lot higher than the floor.
You're not going to have that ability outside of a full-size truck or a flatbed. There is a finite amount of room to package everything in a vehicle, especially small ones.

Midsize trucks like the Ranger/Tacoma/Colorado/Frontier have wheel wells that are around 44" apart. Adding an extra 2 1/8" to each side doesn't sound like a big ask, but that means they'd have to fit the vehicle with narrower tires and/or push the wheels out further.

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
I would've liked a slightly longer bed. Maybe 5 or 5.5 feet. As one person said, hauling a washer and drier together is a pretty common task for a light pickup truck.

Also, I would've liked for them to put roof rails on the cab of it to accommodate longer things like canoes over the cab and bed.

But overall, it'll meet my needs.

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
I am a little unsure of the navy blue plastics. I’m old enough to remember blue or burgundy interiors. Also, the front grille looks a little too much like a mid 2000s Chevy Colorado.
Sponsored