Sponsored

Well it handled this fella fine (with 4K Tow Package)

OP
OP

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just spitballing, but a 3/4 place sled trailer like that weighs around 2500lbs empty and one sled weighs around 500-600lbs - assuming that's what this trailer is for. So empty, well within spec - loaded would be asking for internet berating :LOL:
Ya I didn’t have much but some work stuff in it.
But today I had quite a load. Probably well over the 4K limit.
But berate me all you want. I’ve driven for many years mostly towing. The max weight is not all based on if it will haul it safely. For example gear ratio effects max weight on f-150 with no other changes. Leads me to believe when I once heard they had an acceleration test from say 30-60 for passing that helps set max weight.
To many variables to say what endangers life’s. How’s the trailer brakes? How and what shape are the truck brakes. Are they hot. 8k flat road highway is much different than mountains.
So feel free to berate me if you must but I will never apologize for having massive balls. Or driving safe. Gotta know how to tow and pay attention to distance to stop.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Snox801, it sounds like you've done a lot of hauling with a trailer before so most likely have already dealt with what I'll share;

With the large side surface area of that trailer and being it's fairly long, and with having the axles near the middle, my fear would be side winds and semi trucks. The semi's passing me or me passing them.

I've had some white knuckle experiences pulling a large camper with a strong headwind at about 45 degrees and a semi going around me in the same direction. Not with my Maverick yet, but larger trucks.

Anyways, stay safe. I'm sure you've come across that situation by now and know what to expect. :)
You sir have definitely also hauled a lot. That’s exactly what worried me and does happen with that trailer. Weight wise no issues. But it’s a smaller truck and that thing catches wind. So I can’t break any speed record with it for sure nor do I haul that very often or any real distance with the maverick for that reason.
I have an extra tail 34’ enclose that has been white knuckle in a windy storm behind my f-150 while empty. Same trailer normal wind no issues with over max weight.

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

But today I had quite a load. Probably well over the 4K limit.
But berate me all you want. I’ve driven for many years mostly towing.
So feel free to berate me if you must but I will never apologize for having massive balls.
That's all and good.
  • The 4K tow package has a 5% lower differential (3,81 vs 3.63) to provide a bit more torque at the wheels to hand the load. However, you've installed 265/60 R18 tires that have a diameter that is 6.6% greater than the stock 225/60 R18 tires and wider (more contact/drag). So overall, you are actually working with less torque than the non 4K Tow equipped stock mavericks...
  • Dimensionally it's a big load with a big frontal surface (though aided by the fact it's a V nose).
  • You admit to overloading it.
No berating you, but will be interesting to see how you fare long term with your Maverick.

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Concerning towing, brakes, wind and high surface area trailers, My wife and I were coming back from a trip with our camper. I had a 1/2 ton Ram with built in tow package and was pulling a 29ft Jayco travel trailer.

We were coming down a grade and had a side wind. I wasn't braking at all at the time, just had the truck geared down, holding back the camper. I think I'd just cleared a grove of trees and the wind caught the trailer just right and it start swaying.

These situations can get ugly fast, but before I could even react the truck's anti sway control clamped down on the trailer brakes, we straighten out and slowed down quick.

My wife and I just looked at each other like WTF! Whew!

I was very happy to have had that electronic anti-sway control. Not sure if the Maverick has it, but I also have the 4k tow and hope it's part of the package.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's all and good.
  • The 4K tow package has a 5% lower differential (3,81 vs 3.63) to provide a bit more torque at the wheels to hand the load. However, you've installed 265/60 R18 tires that have a diameter that is 6.6% greater than the stock 225/60 R18 tires and wider (more contact/drag). So overall, you are actually working with less torque than the non 4K Tow equipped stock mavericks...
  • Dimensionally it's a big load with a big frontal surface (though aided by the fact it's a V nose).
No berating you, but will be interesting to see how you fare long term with your Maverick.
I agree we can not be sure. But I sure will
Find out. I haul a lot of heavy stuff with my 3.5 ecoboost 150 that’s tuned and my last one lasted over 380k tuned like that with drag racing it also. Everyone said it would not last cause it was a v6 but it did. I actually enjoy seeing how it plays out and if it fails I know I was pushing it and try and find better parts to make it not happen again.

OP
OP

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Concerning towing, brakes, wind and high surface area trailers, My wife and I were coming back from a trip with our camper. I had a 1/2 ton Ram with built in tow package and was pulling a 29ft Jayco travel trailer.

We were coming down a grade and had a side wind. I wasn't braking at all at the time, just had the truck geared down, holding back the camper. I think I'd just cleared a grove of trees and the wind caught the trailer just right and it start swaying.

These situations can get ugly fast, but before I could even react the truck's anti sway control clamped down on the trailer brakes, we straighten out and slowed down quick.

My wife and I just looked at each other like WTF! Whew!

I was very happy to have had that electronic anti-sway control. Not sure if the Maverick has it, but I also have the 4k tow and hope it's part of the package.
That’s is an old trick. You can reach down grab the trailer brake and apply the gas to help straighten it out. Used to have to do that a lot back in the day. But trucks have gotten better and I’ve gotten slower.

OP
OP

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's all and good.
I do plan on getting it to Livernois in the near future to make sure I restore my trq and add to what it had stock. Much more. That’s not gonna help the driveline but again I’ve been doing these same setups on ecoboost enclosing the 2.0 with a much worse trans than ours with no issues long term. I do maintenance my stuff on time with amsoil products. I feel I better keep good fluids in it if I’m gonna treat it this way.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've towed over 3,000 in the Hybrid with 7pins and brake controller. It does great. Even in the mountains.
Stopping / slowing never an issue.
Getting going, never an issue.

Pulling from a gravel road onto a highway while making a right turn, I punched it hard to get up to highway speed and had a "little" wheel slip. That was the one and only time.

I feel FWD is the limiting factor.
Not the powertrain.
It's not limited by being a hybrid.
Hybrid has about the same torque in combined gas + electric mode. The hybrid is going to accelerate up that freeway on-ramp as well as the EcoBoost.

But for SUSTAINED pulling at high output, you'll need that EcoBoost. The battery boost in the hybrid is substantial, but only lasts a minute or two.

Sponsored

BAScott62

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That’s neat and as I expected it has a decent amount of timed acceleration in it. Hence why an f-150 with a 3.31 has less capacity than the same truck with a 3:73. Even though both would be perfectly safe if used reasonably. After towing a good bit more than my 4k I can say that is probably true with the maverick.

I’ll soon be hauling over 5 k inside my 10’ enclosed trailer back from south Texas to Michigan. So I’ll get a good feel and report of how it worked at speed.

Joe Mac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 F250 Super Duty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
how was stopping it?

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Planning on taking my maverick instead of my 150 but we shall see how it does before that.
I towed a similar size trailer with an F-150 and decided that was enough of that. Bought an F-250 which towed tremendously easier, especially during a crosswind.

OP
OP

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I towed a similar size trailer with an F-150 and decided that was enough of that. Bought an F-250 which towed tremendously easier, especially during a crosswind.
Really? This trailer is way under what an f-150 would manage. In fact I’ve put well over 3k miles on this trailer alone already in snow and winds. Zero issues with an f-150. I can’t say that I believe my 350 would do anything better with this or similar trailers. Now it is noticeable better for extremely heavy stuff like my bulldozer. But never noticed the difference with this style trailer.
But I still consider myself living the good life. I remember my 2002 150 pulling this same style trailer for snowmobiling and think how great we had it. Lol Now my maverick has as much power and more trq.
Sponsored