First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Emergency Towing Procedure". Per the text on the envelope.
Nothing found for Emergency Towing Procedure I tried just towing found plenty but nothing about a key. I tried towing key nothing found
Sponsored

OP
OP

deej

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick 2.0 Lariat, AWD, 4K, Lux, BAP, HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have the service manual on pdf for the Eco Maverick. I could do a search but search for what?
Where did you find the Service manual PDF?

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where did you find the Service manual PDF?
Someone on this forum posted it a while back I downloaded it. I also gave it to another member here who PM'ed me and had a link to his drop box which he got. I can do the same for you if you have a drop box link. UIts the ecoboost only no Hybrid info other than a few mentions of hybrid

Onceforall

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
if Lariat only, perhaps it is a manual key for the power sliding rear window? I don't recall if all the Lariat trims come with the rear window slider.

Sponsored

OP
OP

deej

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I found it.
Nice find!!! Thank you!

Where did you find it?

Here are some pics to locate it in the engine compartment. It is under that hose circled in red.

Ford Maverick Weird small metal "key" in sealed envelope 1678744105863

Ford Maverick Weird small metal "key" in sealed envelope 1678744118606

Ford Maverick Weird small metal "key" in sealed envelope 1678744128544

OP
OP

deej

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This is comically obscure.
I agree!

"EMERGENCY TOWING - GASOLINE
If you need to tow your vehicle, contact a
professional towing service or, if you are a
member of a roadside assistance program,
your roadside assistance service provider."

They have a nice set of instructions for the Hybrid in the owner's manual, but nothing about what to do with the Ecoboost to get the truck up on a tilt-back wrecker if it can't be driven. I'm assuming you turn the vehicle on, put it in neutral, and make sure the electric parking brake is not on, but that isn't explicitly spelled out.

Sponsored

BlueSpec1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT 2.5L, 22 Escape Plug In, 23 Bolt EUV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the metal pin in my glove box and see the Manual Park Release on the Transmission.

Workshop Manual has the steps for using it to get the transmission into neutral:

Transmission Park by Wire Manual Release

Activation
1. NOTE: If the vehicle battery is dead or there is no electrical power available, connect an external power source.

Apply the parking brake.

2. Remove the air cleaner.
Refer to: Air Cleaner (303-12A Intake Air Distribution and Filtering - 2.0L EcoBoost (177kW/240PS) – MI4, Removal and Installation) .

3. Remove the bolt and the manual park release.
Ford Maverick Weird small metal "key" in sealed envelope Remove Manual Park Brake Release from Transmission

4. Locate the park override pin inside the vehicle storage.

1. Rotate the inner override counter-clockwise until the pin can be installed through the top.
2. Make sure that the component is correctly installed. Use the General Equipment: Flat Headed Screw Driver
Ford Maverick Weird small metal "key" in sealed envelope Park Override Pin Install - Rotate CCW

1. Install the manual park release into the transmission.
2. Rotate the manual park release clockwise and install the bolt. Torque : 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
Ford Maverick Weird small metal "key" in sealed envelope Reinstall Manual Park Brake Release

7. NOTICE: Vehicle can roll if park brake is released.
NOTE: Transmission is now in neutral. Park system has been disengaged.
While applying the brakes, release the parking brake.

8. Disconnect the battery. The vehicle will remain in neutral for emergency towing purposes.
Refer to: Battery Disconnect and Connect (414-01 Battery, Mounting and Cables, General Procedures) .

9. When the repair is complete, connect the battery.
Refer to: Battery Disconnect and Connect (414-01 Battery, Mounting and Cables, General Procedures) .

10. NOTE: If the vehicle battery is dead or there is no electrical power available, connect an external power source.

Apply the parking brake.

• Once the vehicle repairs have been made, remove the pin and the park system will activate.
Confirm the vehicle is in P and the IPC indicates P .

• Return the service pin to vehicle storage location.

12. Install the air cleaner.
Refer to: Air Cleaner (303-12A Intake Air Distribution and Filtering - 2.0L EcoBoost (177kW/240PS) – MI4, Removal and Installation) .

13. While applying the brakes, release the parking brake.

NeedForSteve

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Fusion 2.3; 2023 HPR XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've seen some convoluted procedures but good Lord why would they do it this way

So everyone with this key should put together a tiny "tow" kit to keep with they key that has an 8MM wrench and a flathead screwdriver.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the metal pin in my glove box and see the Manual Park Release on the Transmission.

Workshop Manual has the steps for using it to get the transmission into neutral:

Transmission Park by Wire Manual Release

Activation
1. NOTE: If the vehicle battery is dead or there is no electrical power available, connect an external power source.

Apply the parking brake.

2. Remove the air cleaner.

3. Remove the bolt and the manual park release.
Remove Manual Park Brake Release from Transmission.jpg

4. Locate the park override pin inside the vehicle storage.

1. Rotate the inner override counter-clockwise until the pin can be installed through the top.
2. Make sure that the component is correctly installed. Use the General Equipment: Flat Headed Screw Driver
Park Override Pin Install - Rotate CCW.jpg

1. Install the manual park release into the transmission.
2. Rotate the manual park release clockwise and install the bolt. Torque : 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
Reinstall Manual Park Brake Release.jpg

7. NOTICE: Vehicle can roll if park brake is released.
NOTE: Transmission is now in neutral. Park system has been disengaged.
While applying the brakes, release the parking brake.

8. Disconnect the battery. The vehicle will remain in neutral for emergency towing purposes.

9. When the repair is complete, connect the battery.

10. NOTE: If the vehicle battery is dead or there is no electrical power available, connect an external power source.

Apply the parking brake.

• Once the vehicle repairs have been made, remove the pin and the park system will activate.
Confirm the vehicle is in P and the IPC indicates P .

• Return the service pin to vehicle storage location.

12. Install the air cleaner.

13. While applying the brakes, release the parking brake.
Interesting info. So it sounds like even if you get power to the car it can't shift into neutral with the normal knob for some reason. not sure why not. Very strange . As it says get power to car for parking brake. (I hate electric parking Brake, bad idea). Yet even with power you can't just use normal shift knob to put it into neutral. I guess the engine has to be running for the normal shift knob to work?

BlueSpec1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT 2.5L, 22 Escape Plug In, 23 Bolt EUV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm guessing there used to be a manual shift lever and cable that's not on newer Mavericks.
My guess is the Manual Park Release is disengaging the park pawl.
Ford Maverick Weird small metal "key" in sealed envelope Park by Wire - Pictorial

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow. But this hardly seems for towing. No shop tech that has access to this drives a tow truck. Some obscure need to release the parking pawl, like pushing it in the shop? I wouldn't tow an AWD on rear wheels no matter what the transmission is in. Rollback only.
Sponsored