Sponsored

Water Fording recommended maximum depth.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there an advertised/ recommended depth rating for the Maverick? The Bronco Sport varies fro 17" to 23 1/2" depending on the model.
The stream I cross getting to camp varies from about 12" to forget it and turn around. I'm hoping the Tremor will have some capability.
For example my Raptor is rated 31" at 4mph.
Sponsored

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrid or turbo?

At first, I thought you were alluding to “water-boarding.”

OP
OP
fossil

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

There is acceptable mechanical water fording depth and wet ass carpet depth. Modern car, this early in its life. I wouldnt take it deeper than the height of the floorboards. Water finds a way.

BradGroux

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Website
msft.expert
Vehicle(s)
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick’s ground clearance is less than 9”. That means at 12” your stream is already approaching the door entry. Good luck with that.

Sponsored

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there an advertised/ recommended depth rating for the Maverick? The Bronco Sport varies fro 17" to 23 1/2" depending on the model.
The stream I cross getting to camp varies from about 12" to forget it and turn around. I'm hoping the Tremor will have some capability.
Maverick is no comparison to your Raptor ;) You need at least a ranger if’s you’re looking to increase fuel economy & lower price… Even the Tremor only has 1” extra lift.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As I recall, the water fording depth for most vehicles is no higher than haflway up your rims.

The PDF owner's manual says, on pages 274 and 275 in "Driving in special conditions":

"Before driving through standing water,
check the depth. Never drive through water
that is higher than the bottom of the wheel
hubs."

Allen King Jr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 C-Max phev, 2006 Mercury Mariner, 2023 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As a person who has taken a Ford Windstar through 12 inches of water, I can tell you to keep the water under the lug nuts as a generic safety, my windstar ended up getting water on the transmission range sensor leaving my minivan stuck in 1st gear, had to drive over 50 miles in first gear, talk about boring....😎

Just my thoughts, do what you want!!!

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Realistically, if this is something you intend to do on a regular basis, I'd say you need to invest in a 2-inch lift kit.

There are several on the market, readily available. Most seem good, but the Rough Country has gotten several bad reviews. I'd say away from that one. Ford Ranger Lifts makes one that looks nice, though a fair bit more expensive than other options.

Rallyx

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Camry Hybrid, 13 Sienna, 10 GX460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure what the Maverick will be, but the BSBL is rated to 23.6 (as you mentioned) with lower ground clearance than the Tremor. I hope/expect the Tremor will go at least that deep with 9.4 inches of ground clearance.

Ford Maverick Water Fording recommended maximum depth. 1664391223984

Last edited:
Sponsored
OP
OP
fossil

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure what the Maverick will be, but the BSBL is rated to 23.6 (as you mentioned) with lower ground clearance than the Tremor. I hope/expect the Tremor will go at least that deep with 9.4 inches of ground clearance.
Yep. I was hoping that there was something in the owners manual at least for the FX4 that I could base the Tremor on. Seems logical that an off road truck/suv would get it's feet wet from time to time. Sort of a natural part of going off road.
I do know the Badlands has upgraded door seals, even the lower models do. That said I also know if you park one in 23" of water it will find it's way inside in some relatively short time. More important is water intrusion into the mechanicals.

Feldgary53

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick incoming, ‘13 Porsche 911,‘19 Audi Q3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have to admit when I first saw the post title I started laughing because it reminded me of Water Boarding or the Maverick order process equivalent "Water Fording" 😊

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It is called get a tape measure or conversely if you know the rim and tire size. Which the standard size tire is 225 65 / R17 and 17 inch rims. Using that picture in this thread the depth will be approximately diameter of the rim + SH (sidewall height) .

Sidewall height = (profile ratio * width)/100
(225*65)/100 = 146.25 mm
converted to inches
146.25/25.4 = 5.76 inches rounded up

So your water depth should be approximately
17 + 5.76 = 22.76 inches

Recalculate accordingly for the actual size tire and rim you get for any particular build and add the same amount as the extra lift for a lift kit if you plan to add one or 1 inch if the build is a Tremor package.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think it depends on the flow of the creek as well as the width. Maverick isn't exactly a heavy truck and will take a lot less flowing water to move it. But if you are talking about a creek that's not even the length of the truck, then the ground clearance shouldn't matter that much because the angle of attack will cause the bottom of the truck to never reach the water.

Xjeepguy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ALTO BLUE XLT 4K FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think it depends on the flow of the creek as well as the width. Maverick isn't exactly a heavy truck and will take a lot less flowing water to move it. But if you are talking about a creek that's not even the length of the truck, then the ground clearance shouldn't matter that much because the angle of attack will cause the bottom of the truck to never reach the water.
If your gonna do this with a hybrid, i recommend really (really) thick rubber hip waiters.
Sponsored