Sponsored

Using wireless Android Auto with BT earbuds... Possible?

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I want to use bluetooth earbuds to listen to music/books while also having access to navigation using Google Maps through Android Auto.

The problem is that when Android Auto connects, the phone starts using the truck's speakers and microphone. I can't get it to switch back to the earbuds.

I've searched the internet and found stuff a couple of years old from people who tried and failed. . But I'm wondering if anyone else has solved this.

(I connect Android Auto to my XLT wirelessly with an MA1 adapter. My phone is a Galaxy Note9 with Android 10. I've tried Galaxy Buds and AfterShokz.)
Sponsored

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I want to use bluetooth earbuds to listen to music/books while also having access to navigation using Google Maps through Android Auto.
I don't know how you might accomplish this, but isn't illegal in most states to wear earbuds/headphones/similar while driving?

Bluetooth earpieces of the past that went into a single ear and just did phone calls are allowed in most states, but laws are rarely quickly updated to match the progression of technology. It is entirely possible that using them in a state where they are prohibited could get you into trouble.

https://thenewswheel.com/is-it-illegal-to-drive-with-headphones-a-state-by-state-guide/

OP
OP
DryHeat

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know how you might accomplish this, but isn't illegal in most states to wear earbuds/headphones/similar while driving?
Thanks for the advice, but ... no, it's not illegal in most states. You must have misread the article you linked, because that article also says over two-thirds of the states don't prohibit headphones.

Roughly 35 states have no restrictions, and five more allow use of a "one-ear" headsets. Arizona (where I live) only prohibits use by school bus and childcare drivers. All the states that I typically drive through allow headphones.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the advice, but ... no, it's not illegal in most states. You must have misread the article you linked, because that article also says over two-thirds of the states don't prohibit headphones.

Roughly 35 states have no restrictions, and five more allow use of a "one-ear" headsets. Arizona (where I live) only prohibits use by school bus and childcare drivers. All the states that I typically drive through allow headphones.
I never said it was illegal where you are, nor did I blindly trust forum profile details.

Regardless of how many states have laws about it, I'm just putting it out there that it is a thing.

Whether or not you want to continue after learning one way or the other is up to you.

Sponsored

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The problem is that when Android Auto connects, the phone starts using the truck's speakers and microphone. I can't get it to switch back to the earbuds.

I've searched the internet and found stuff a couple of years old from people who tried and failed. . But I'm wondering if anyone else has solved this.

(I connect Android Auto to my XLT wirelessly with an MA1 adapter. My phone is a Galaxy Note9 with Android 10. I've tried Galaxy Buds and AfterShokz.)
You can't just enable calls while disabling audio in the bluetooth device menu?
Ford Maverick Using wireless Android Auto with BT earbuds... Possible? Screenshot_20220720-190823_Settings

CatsupGladiator

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Caravan
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I turn the audio for applications like maps off for the vehicle and have it routed to my paired headphones so kids can hear their radio station and I don't miss the prompt for a turn.

Headphones like aftershokz are great for use while driving, they are bone conditioning, don't cover your ears so there is no isolation. You can still hear everything you would without them on.

OP
OP
DryHeat

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I never said it was illegal where you are, nor did I blindly trust forum profile details.

Whether or not you want to continue after learning one way or the other is up to you.
You suggested that headphones are "illegal in most states." They aren't. That's all there is to it.
You misread the article (or didn't bother to read it). No big deal. Don't worry about it.
Legal or not it's stupid while driving in my opinion. I don't care abouts yours.
What's the matter, Skeeter? Will no one listen to you at home?
That's ok... you can always pound on the keyboard.

OP
OP
DryHeat

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can't just enable calls while disabling audio in the bluetooth device menu?
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and it didn't seem to have any effect. Maybe I need to do it in a different order. I'll try again tomorrow cutting off the Maverick audio first, then trying to enable the headset, then vice-versa. I'll report back if anything works.
I turn the audio for applications like maps off for the vehicle and have it routed to my paired headphones so kids can hear their radio station and I don't miss the prompt for a turn.

Headphones like aftershokz are great for use while driving, they are bone conditioning, don't cover your ears so there is no isolation. You can still hear everything you would without them on.
Thanks... That sounds like what I need to do. How exactly do you "route it to the paired headphones"? I've tried to do that and couldn't get it to work. Any advice would be appreciated.

And I fully agree about the AfterShokz. The bone conduction works well and I like being able to hear what's going on. I also sometimes use just one Galaxy Bud2 in mono mode so the other ear is open. I mostly listen to books so the mono mode is no big loss.

CatsupGladiator

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Caravan
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thought I had done this before, but I couldn't replicate it this evening. I know I had maps up with no interruptions to the radio, but maybe I just muted maps.

Sponsored

Automan21

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Subaru WRX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Bluetooth earpieces of the past that went into a single ear and just did phone calls are allowed in most states, but laws are rarely quickly updated to match the progression of technology. It is entirely possible that using them in a state where they are prohibited could get you into trouble.

https://thenewswheel.com/is-it-illegal-to-drive-with-headphones-a-state-by-state-guide/
Exactly!!
I’ve seen a police car with full lights and siren right behind someone who had beats EarPods in and they didn’t hear it. Cops had to get out and bang on the guys window and yell at him. I think they had a real Emergency because if not I know they would pulled him over and given him a ticket.

It’s not a smart thing to do but hey people love music more than safety I guess.
good luck

OP
OP
DryHeat

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve seen a police car with full lights and siren right behind someone who had beats EarPods in and they didn’t hear it. ... I think they had a real Emergency because if not I know they would pulled him over and given him a ticket.
Maybe a ticket for not getting out of the way. But probably not a ticket for wearing EarPods -- depending on your state. (What state is that, by the way?).

A little farther down the thread there is a link to an article on state laws, showing that it is not illegal in most states. (It is not illegal in my state of Arizona.)

I also mentioned above that I use a bone-conduction headset from Shokz that fits against the temple and does not obstruct the ear. Although sometimes I use an earbud in one ear to listen to a book, leaving the other ear open for outside sounds.

I find that this type of use does not mask the sound of emergency vehicles as much playing music on the car stereo system. (And not nearly as much as the way some people crank up their car stereos.)
Sponsored