First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So picking up my hybrid tomorrow and waiting for the aawireless to come in. I was looking at removing the radio and adding a USB splitter and putting the aawireless inside near the radio so you don't see it. any thoughts on this?
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You would likely need to find a splitter cable that supports data on only one of the legs. The audio system probably doesn't support having to deal with a split data cable.

I was likely just going to plug the AAWireless into the USB-C (what it natively supports), use the USB-A for a micro flash drive, and I have a 12V socket QC charger if I actually need to charge my phone.

OP
OP

Ecurtis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You would likely need to find a splitter cable that supports data on only one of the legs. The audio system probably doesn't support having to deal with a split data cable.

I was likely just going to plug the AAWireless into the USB-C (what it natively supports), use the USB-A for a micro flash drive, and I have a 12V socket QC charger if I actually need to charge my phone.
On the radio does it have a USB c connection separately? I'd rather use it on the radio and hide it than have the dongle or cable out. Guess I'll have to tear it apart and find out.

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

One potential problem with this is,if you want to out the aa wireless under the ledge with two sided tape or Velcro, the usbc is on top and the cable would block usba port. On the other hand usbc thumb drives are silly cheap now. Also, this is why there should be connected usb port in center console but oh well.

Sponsored

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On the radio does it have a USB c connection separately? I'd rather use it on the radio and hide it than have the dongle or cable out. Guess I'll have to tear it apart and find out.
Could you take pictures and post them please?

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Frankly, I'd probably just use to double-sided tape and tuck it underneath the forward console. It will hardly be noticeable, and you'd likely have less interference than tucking it behind a bunch of electronics.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One potential problem with this is,if you want to out the aa wireless under the ledge with two sided tape or Velcro, the usbc is on top and the cable would block usba port. On the other hand usbc thumb drives are silly cheap now. Also, this is why there should be connected usb port in center console but oh well.
I picked up one of the tiny Sandisk Cruzer drives that only sticks maybe 3mm out of the port so there shouldn't be any space conflict.

Ford Maverick Adding Android auto wireless. 1643047068220

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Motorola MA1 has built in USBA connector. It looks like the aawireless has a USBC port, so you can just use a USBC>USBA cord.

OP
OP

Ecurtis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Motorola MA1 has built in USBA connector. It looks like the aawireless has a USBC port, so you can just use a USBC>USBA cord.
I've never used a thumb drive in my car what do you put on it? Guessing music? I'm so used to listening to Spotify or podcasts or just the radio lol

Sponsored

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've never used a thumb drive in my car what do you put on it? Guessing music? I'm so used to listening to Spotify or podcasts or just the radio lol
OK. So. Yes, you put mp3 files, which are digital music files, on a thumb drive and plug them in and select the usb drive as the audio source and it will be an mp3 player. The screen will list the information from the file, such as artist name and song title, and even be organized by the file structure of the disk. So, for example, if you want to listen to a collection of music while you drive in an area that does not have cell service, you could put the mp3 files on the thumb drive before you leave home. You would get the mp3's to put on the usb drive by "ripping" music that you legally purchased, not by downloading them from your friends from Sweden who sing "yo ho ho," or converting youtube videos or something like that.

Last edited:

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry, I'm not being clear on what I am trying to say. It is hard for to describe.

OK, The square unit from the AA wireless has to go somewhere. One place that you could put it is under the dash below the usb slots. You could just stick it under there with two sided tape or velcro or something. I saw someone do this in a picture on this site and it was a good solution.

This spot is below the usb slots. So the wire would go down from the usb slots. The usb c slot is on top. So if you plug in the cord from the AAwireless to the usb c slot, the cord would go down and cover the usb a slot that is below the usb c slot, making it hard to put a usb drive in the usb a slot.

So, other things you could do if that bugs you, and it would bug me, is to put the AAwireless doggle somewhere else, for example you could put it in the cubby buddy slot beside the screen. For me, that would bug me having the cord going up there. Maybe there is a way to run it inside the dash.

Another thing you could do is use the USB A slot to plug in the AAwireleass (and put the AAwireless below the dash) and use a USBC thumb drive for your mp3. That is what would bug me less with the cord, but your millage may vary.

My aawireless came a couple of days ago but I don't have my mav yet. The escape I have is too old to have android auto, and my wife's is already wireless, so I don't have anything to try it out on yet. But it has a usb c slot and comes with a flexible usb c to usb a cord. It also has a single reset button that you may have to have access to at some point so I wouldn't install it in a place that was inaccessible.

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I picked up one of the tiny Sandisk Cruzer drives that only sticks maybe 3mm out of the port so there shouldn't be any space conflict.

1643047068220.png
That is perfect, I like to change them out (a few years ago I got a bunch of 1 gig ones for free, so I put different albums on them), but that one is perfect to just live in the slot. And if you think about it, if you have the AAwireless in one slot, the phone on the cordless charger, and the thumbdrive in the other slot you won't have to change the out.

Irich609

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
OK. So. Yes, you put mp3 files, which are digital music files, on a thumb drive and plug them in and select the usb drive as the audio source and it will be an mp3 player. The screen will list the information from the file, such as artist name and song title, and even be organized by the file structure of the disk. So, for example, if you want to listen to a collection of music while you drive in an area that does not have cell service, you could put the mp3 files on the thumb drive before you leave home. You would get the mp3's to put on the usb drive by "ripping" music that you legally purchased, not by downloading them from your friends from Sweden who sing "yo ho ho," or converting youtube videos or something like that.
LiNkInPaRk_nUmB.exe lol

PanchoBarrancas

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So picking up my hybrid tomorrow and waiting for the aawireless to come in. I was looking at removing the radio and adding a USB splitter and putting the aawireless inside near the radio so you don't see it. any thoughts on this?
Not to be a party pooper but the AAWireless box gets pretty hot and I don't think it being in an enclosed, unventilated space would be a good idea long term.
Sponsored