First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD 18" rims Cactus Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was watching Jay Leno and he was showing a 62 or so Olds that had a turbo stock. The factory tapped off the turbo boost to a container with what could be methanol to use the turbo pressure to inject fluid into the inlet through a fixed jet. It made me wonder if it could be used on the Maverick. It just injected when under boost, no pump. Looked super simple and fool proof.
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I am not a turbo expert, yet. But my guess is that it would confuse the computer and you would need a specially tweaked tune for it to behave well, if it worked.

OP
OP
Charlie Daubitz

Charlie Daubitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They ALL use a pump, this one didn't.

Sponsored

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sure it's possible. You would have to play around a lot with nozzle sizes for injector and pill sizes for restrictors. You might still draw fluid under vaccum. Which could be an issue. Get it wrong and you could be looking at hydrolock.

You would also have to inject pre-turbo. There is no ability to do it post turbo really since there would be little to no pressure differential. This is why pumps are used. Pre-turbo injection will increase wear on the compressor wheel, although it will be slow.

IMO there's too much work with a secondary fueling system, which is what methanol will provide more fuel.

Hence when I was into making power, I relied on primary fueling and ethanol. Easy peazy, and with direct injection, it's super hard to knock on even low concentrations of ethanol ~30% +

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve run a water/injection in turbocharged vehicles before. If you use a solenoid instead of a check valve you won’t draw fluid under vacuum like you would with a check valve failure as the solenoid fails closed.

Also if you run a 80/20 or 70/30 water/meth mix (distilled water/methanol with no additives like glycol or detergents) windshield washer fluid with a proper sized nozzle you won’t need a tune.

You would gain cylinder cooling and valve cleaning.

Now if you start run to big of a nozzle or higher methanol content you could effect you air fuel ratio and would definitely need a tune.

Nitroponynj

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 Mustang GT 95 mustang Cobra 2016 Silverado
I'm ordering as soon as the ordering is open and as soon as I get mine if I get a EcoBoost I'll be definitely looking into running meth injection I just can't decide on hybrid or EcoBoost especially now with the price of gas

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm ordering as soon as the ordering is open and as soon as I get mine if I get a EcoBoost I'll be definitely looking into running meth injection I just can't decide on hybrid or EcoBoost especially now with the price of gas
Theres a guy on the net who ordered the Ecoboost AWD 4K tow pack, and opened up the intake, and exhaust, then put a tune on it, and it runs I think I remember 13.8 in the quarter and will blow the doors off a stock Subaru WRX. Also he states if he is light on the pedal just driving it, it returns between 39-41 mpg highway.

I wonder how the water injection will help with efficiency and MPG. I mean if you can modify it to get better mileage than a hybrid on the highway, and great performance when you need it, then it's a no brainer. I am planning on doing just that. If the injection setup can bump my mileage another 1 to 2 mpg then why not.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Charlie Daubitz

Charlie Daubitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm wondering what it would do with a manual throttle body and a cable pedal.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm wondering what it would do with a manual throttle body and a cable pedal.
Require extensive programming to get there without throwing itself into limp mode or shutting down. The PCM self-tests the electronic throttle actuation for responsiveness to commanded movements.
Sponsored