Sponsored

Upgrading 400W inverter possible?

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I ordered the hybrid with a 400W inverter, and I just saw an article that listed what could be run with it. To be honest, it seems like very few things that will be useful to me. Especially when it comes to charging tools. Is there any way to upgrade the inverter? Can that be done? I’m not sure the limitations of car electronics.
Sponsored

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered the hybrid with a 400W inverter, and I just saw an article that listed what could be run with it. To be honest, it seems like very few things that will be useful to me. Especially when it comes to charging tools. Is there any way to upgrade the inverter? Can that be done? I’m not sure the limitations of car electronics.
Can you link to that article for us?

I agree; 400W is extremely limiting. It seems to me that pretty much anything that can run on 400W AC is also available in a 12V DC version, making the inverter kind of pointless.

I'd be happy if anyone is able to counter that statement. I am getting the inverter in my bundle so it'd be nice to find it actually enabling in some way.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
High DC input current, wire accordingly.

OP
OP
dvibs07

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Can you link to that article for us?

I agree; 400W is extremely limiting. It seems to me that pretty much anything that can run on 400W AC is also available in a 12V DC version, making the inverter kind of pointless.

I'd be happy if anyone is able to counter that statement. I am getting the inverter in my bundle so it'd be nice to find it actually enabling in some way.
https://machinelounge.com/what-will-a-400-watt-power-inverter-run/

Here’s that link!

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Laptop. That's useful.

Small TV. Useful to some people; not to me. Don't need a TV while camping.

Electric blanket? Nah, compact down comforter or sleeping bag.

Freezer? no
Refrigerator? yes, but I think rugged ones are typically 12V anyway.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dvibs07

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Laptop. That's useful.

Small TV. Useful to some people; not to me. Don't need a TV while camping.

Electric blanket? Nah, compact down comforter or sleeping bag.

Freezer? no
Refrigerator? yes, but I think rugged ones are typically 12V anyway.
I would like things like air compressor, multiple charging tools, power to drive electric chainsaws…it seems like a TV and blender is the main appeal to tailgaters lol

Minister Lewis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Altima Coupe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When my parents are in town I'm going to let them use my truck. It will useful to them because she has an electric mobility scooter so they can charge it while they are riding around.

Sponsored

Padre

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Fr. Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT w/ Lux, CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly the biggest appeal for me on the inverter was being able to charge my OneWheel off of it.

Msab13

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
You could probably go up to a 1200 watt when the truck is running, you would be using the alternator for power though. You're still just pulling from a 12V car battery, which is not deep cycle and not meant to be run for a long time, and lead acid batteries dont do well when cycled below 50%. So best bet would be power station or solar generator setup in the bed if you need more power.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was going to add it on my build but I couldn't think of anything I'd use it for.
We'll use it to charge the batteries for assorted tools, our laptops, my electric toothbrush when we're camping and for the air mattress inflator. Things like that. Is it super useful? No. Will we use it? Sure.

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You're limited by the existing 12VDC wiring and fuses. The ones in the back are 20 amp. Draw any more than that and you'll pop the fuse. Change the fuses without changing the wire and you'll risk fire or the wires melting (bad news).

If you want to run larger gauge wire direct from battery to a converter than you can run bigger stuff.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Non-engineer guy. I ordered this thinking it was just a normal outlet for electric plugs... Am I wrong?
Sponsored