Milqueman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid, 2013 Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got rear ended the other day. Insurance just told me that my MY23 Lariat Lux Hybrid is totaled :cry:.
(I figured as much when it happened, so not really surprised)

Bent & creased the bed down.
Bent the under bed rails / frame down
Creased / accordioned the inside walls and both left & right quarter panels.
Pushed both the quarter panels into both rear doors.

It actually drove home though. ( I was literally a mile from home, coming home from work)
I was slowing down as I was approaching a red light.
The other driver never hit the brakes and hit me full speed.

Talked to my Dealer yesterday and got a MY24 Lariat Lux Hybrid on order.
Time to start the waiting game... again... :(

Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended 20231114_175420

Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended 20231114_180105

Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended 20231114_180353

Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended 20231114_180410

Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended 20231114_181918

Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended 20231115_064029

Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended 20231115_064040

Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended 20231115_064101

Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended 20231115_064119

Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended Her Car
Sponsored

WildGrok

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Incredible that you could drive it with all the damage!

OP
OP
Milqueman

Milqueman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Incredible that you could drive it with all the damage!
Yeah. I was surprised as well. It bent everything AFT of the rear suspension, and nothing got pushed into the rear tires. It was sitting lower in the rear. So I was a little pointed up as I was driving. Wouldn't have gone too far with it, but sense I was so close to home, I just nursed her back.

jpv74

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry to hear you lost your truck. You might want to get checked by a Dr if u got hit that hard. I was rear ended like that 15 years a go and I still have neck pain......it shows up a couple weeks after the accident after you have signed off that you are ok. Yes I am being serious. On another note......its kind of a shame that one accident totals our trucks.....I have never heard of this before. I hope you get a new one soon.

Sponsored

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got rear ended the other day. Insurance just told me that my MY23 Lariat Lux Hybrid is totaled :cry:.
(I figured as much when it happened, so not really surprised)

Bent & creased the bed down.
Bent the under bed rails / frame down
Creased / accordioned the inside walls and both left & right quarter panels.
Pushed both the quarter panels into both rear doors.

It actually drove home though. ( I was literally a mile from home, coming home from work)
I was slowing down as I was approaching a red light.
The other driver never hit the brakes and hit me full speed.

Talked to my Dealer yesterday and got a MY24 Lariat Lux Hybrid on order.
Time to start the waiting game... again... :(

20231114_175420.jpg

20231114_180105.jpg

20231114_180353.jpg

20231114_180410.jpg

20231114_181918.jpg

20231115_064029.jpg

20231115_064040.jpg

20231115_064101.jpg

20231115_064119.jpg

Her Car.jpg
Man, you just ruined my whole day. So, I can imagine how YOU feel!

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Glad to hear you are ok! the truck can be replaced. 🙏

OP
OP
Milqueman

Milqueman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry to hear you lost your truck. You might want to get checked by a Dr if u got hit that hard. I was rear ended like that 15 years a go and I still have neck pain......it shows up a couple weeks after the accident after you have signed off that you are ok. Yes I am being serious. On another note......its kind of a shame that one accident totals our trucks.....I have never heard of this before. I hope you get a new one soon.
Thank you and Yeah, I felt fine at the scene and told the paramedics that. But when I woke the next morning, I felt stiff in the neck and back, so I went to the ER.

As for as it being a shame, that's a double edge sword. Years ago vehicles didn't have as good "crumble zones" and as a result, the force of the impact traveled through the vehicle to the people inside, thus resulting in lingering pain that shows up weeks after the accident. Today's vehicles are more designed to sacrifice themselves to save us. When I got back in the truck, My seat was all the way back and down with the back of the seat partially reclined. Not sure if this was part of the safety feature or not, but I had to readjust it before I could drive again. After having gone through this I feel vehicles are much safer in accidents now then ever before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Milqueman

Milqueman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Man, you just ruined my whole day. So, I can imagine how YOU feel!
Yeah, I wasn't too happy, lol. But #1 I'm OK and #2 I can replace the truck.

The biggest thing for me is all the work; going through the insurance process, ordering a new truck, waiting, dealing with the rental car, waiting, sharing a vehicle with the wife, waiting, getting a used car while I wait and... did I mention.. waiting.

I try to live by two things
1. Don't let your emotions control you over things you can't control.
2. in time, everything will pass.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

...its kind of a shame that one accident totals our trucks.....I have never heard of this before.
It is by design, to absorb the energy of the crash and protect the occupants, not the vehicle.

15 years ago when you had your crash, apparently your vehicle wasn't designed as well as new ones are, WRT occupant safety.

Sponsored

jpv74

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you and Yeah, I felt fine at the scene and told the paramedics that. But when I woke the next morning, I felt stiff in the neck and back, so I went to the ER.

As for as it being a shame, that's a double edge sword. Years ago vehicles didn't have as good "crumble zones" and as a result, the force of the impact traveled through the vehicle to the people inside, thus resulting in lingering pain that shows up weeks after the accident. Today's vehicles are more designed to sacrifice themselves to save us. When I got back in the trunk, My seat was all the way back and down with the back of the seat partially reclined. Not sure if this was part of the safety feature or not, but I had to readjust it before I could drive again. After having gone through this I feel vehicles are much safer in accidents now then ever before.
Yep......adrenaline makes you feel like your fine but when that wears off you are no longer fine. As I sit here typing now I have to be in a reclined position in my chair with my head looking up so there is no sharp neck pain. I have done this for years as a work around because there is nothing that can fix the nerve issue. I am fine overall......but just sayin' you need to get the proper attention after being struck that hard. Physical therapy, massage, or even chiropractic are options. And just so I dont get blasted by the forum......Im not saying ambulance chasing here or lawyer up and all that stuff.......I am just saying that lasting effects from these accidents do happen and that you might be able to lesson the effects if you take care of your body. Also since I did mention it.........there insurance companies job is to get you to sign off on that you are fine and the amount of the check.........dont be so fast to sign off that you are fine until you know that you are fine......this could take about a month before you can determine if your body is ok. Good luck

OP
OP
Milqueman

Milqueman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, I had to go to the yard where they were keeping my Maverick and get some things out of the truck. Took some pics in daylight of what they marked as damaged. If you look at the top-right of the back window, they marked in red that it's cracked. The unibody transferred the energy through the frame and cracked the window.

My insurance gave me "Fair Market Value" and valued it at $38,400. I originally paid $33,000+ change. so I made out about 5K.
This truck is a Hybrid and had the Lux package / copilot 360 (without the 360+ or SIBL, I planned on getting LineX at some point)

I ordered a new MY24 lariat Hybrid from the same dealership. But this years model comes "standard" with the Lux package / copilot 360 AND the 360+. Plus it comes "standard" with the SIBL and bed rails. I am losing the windshield defroster as they deleted that. Came in handy here in Colorado, but oh well. The cost for this is just over $36,000. Tax, Tag and Title will push it above $37,000. So, I'll be getting a new MY24 for "free" (trying to look at the silver lining)

Already get an email from Ford, my build date is Feb 12th, I expect to get it some time in March, so that's a total of 4 months. So not as long as a wait for my last one. I ordered this one in Sep 22 and got it in April 23, that's 7 months. Looks like that 3rd shift they hired is working out.

Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended 1000006735
Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended 1000006736
Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended 1000006737
Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended 1000006738

Ford Maverick UPDATE: Fun while it lasted, Time for round 2 after being rear ended 1000006734

JBEN110

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Awd XLT tremor with lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

whipcash is a bittersweet thing

Don806

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT, Also a 2000 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

your insurance paid the claim? I would be wanting the at fault party's insurance to be the one paying. And include rental until you can replace it?

davedogg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD Jeep Wrangler 2 Door for Mav.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That sucks man. But at least it seems you are getting another one!

BTW, you wanna sell me those Lariat headlights? ;)
Sponsored