Sponsored

UPDATE: From worst to best MPG! Also "EV Coach" Review and a Freshly dinged bed!

petertuna

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT, F-150, RDX
Thank you all for the tips and tricks on how to improve my gas mileage! With around 80% highway driving these past 3 commutes, I've been able to get into the 40's!!
Much better than my last tank at 26MPG. I'm going to continue being conservative with
my driving and hopefully I'll be close to the 40's for the next fill up.

One of the best features yet is the "EV Coach". In the video I go over how it helps achieve peak gas efficiency. It's a really nifty feature that I haven't seen anyone else review yet!

Also, I took a look at my bed after buying a toolbox from home depot, and the guy just really didn't want to stop pushing it into my bed even though I repeatedly told him I don't need anymore help.... This resulted in the first ding on the truck! Never bought a new car before, and I now know the feeling of having to be the one held accountable for every ding and scratch! It's just a truck, but it still stings a little when it's no longer perfect. I'll probably do my own spray in bed liner soon.

Sponsored

OP
OP
petertuna

petertuna

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is working out pretty well! Never thought I'd appreciate slower moving traffic, but it works out great going around 50-65mph on my commute home.

Ford Maverick UPDATE: From worst to best MPG! Also "EV Coach" Review and a Freshly dinged bed! IMG_6095

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One of the best features yet is the "EV Coach". In the video I go over how it helps achieve peak gas efficiency. It's a really nifty feature that I haven't seen anyone else review yet!
Thanks for the heads up on "EV Coach" screen.

I used it for the first time today and I really like how it shows using the battery all-electric with a range so that I can accelerate using the battery and ramp up to near the high limit but not over into hybrid mode. While doing this I can still accelerate quickly yet save gas.

In my trip back from Home Depot to home even with speeds of 55, 45 and 40 MPH along with a number of stops I got 69 MPG over the 15 mile trip.

Also remember to enable ECO drive mode on each drive.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the heads up on "EV Coach" screen.

I used it for the first time today and I really like how it shows using the battery all-electric with a range so that I can accelerate using the battery and ramp up to near the high limit but not over into hybrid mode. While doing this I can still accelerate quickly yet save gas.

In my trip back from Home Depot to home even with speeds of 55, 45 and 40 MPH along with a number of stops I got 69 MPG over the 15 mile trip.

I love the EV coach, but I wish they'd just place it at the very bottom of the productivity screen when the trip information is showing (or add some information to the EV coach screen). It's just too minimal, and I love some information density. Also wish you could add the digital speedometer to the trip screen.

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Only problem is that thing feels SLUGGISH.

I love the EV coach, but I wish they'd just place it at the very bottom of the productivity screen when the trip information is showing (or add some information to the EV coach screen). It's just too minimal, and I love some information density. Also wish you could add the digital speedometer to the trip screen.
Yeah I'd use the EV coach if it could share the screen with the digital speedometer but it alone feels too useless.

OP I feel like you and I have had very similar experiences. My MPG was below 30 and I wasn't happy about it but today driving around I managed to get 61 mpg on the way to my destination and 52 on the way back since I drove a bit more aggressive to get away from some people driving awfully.
I tried using the EV coach once I was in my neighbourhood but I just couldn't, felt like a minigame that was distracting from my actual driving. I think what bumped my MPG is it being warmer and the truck was driving nicely and could feel the exact throttle % to not pass to keep it gliding smoothly.

Also had someone bump my tailgate while it was in the down position.
Very annoying considering I put in so much effort every time to park as close as possible to the curb and somehow stupid still manages to hit me with all the space I made for him.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah I'd use the EV coach if it could share the screen with the digital speedometer but it alone feels too useless.
On the Lariat dashboard it can display both. Even better would be a HUD display with speed/hybrid gauge and I have some ideas to try that. At the very least I'm glad it now shows the max regen limit as well which I've longed for on my Fusion.

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On the Lariat dashboard it can display both. Even better would be a HUD display with speed/hybrid gauge and I have some ideas to try that. At the very least I'm glad it now shows the max regen limit as well which I've longed for on my Fusion.
yeah XL poor life here lol

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you all for the tips and tricks on how to improve my gas mileage! With around 80% highway driving these past 3 commutes, I've been able to get into the 40's!!
Much better than my last tank at 26MPG. I'm going to continue being conservative with
my driving and hopefully I'll be close to the 40's for the next fill up.

Also, I took a look at my bed after buying a toolbox from home depot, and the guy just really didn't want to stop pushing it into my bed even though I repeatedly told him I don't need anymore help.... This resulted in the first ding on the truck! Never bought a new car before, and I now know the feeling of having to be the one held accountable for every ding and scratch! It's just a truck, but it still stings a little when it's no longer perfect. I'll probably do my own spray in bed liner soon.

First of all congrats on the mav and improving your hybrid technique. I did notice in the vid at 3.26 you mistake the trip distance on the second line for the MPG which is the top number. Could that be the source of your "worst mpg"? I only mention it because that's totally something I would do

OP
OP
petertuna

petertuna

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First of all congrats on the mav and improving your hybrid technique. I did notice in the vid at 3.26 you mistake the trip distance on the second line for the MPG which is the top number. Could that be the source of your "worst mpg"? I only mention it because that's totally something I would do
Ah, didn’t even realize my trip mileage was 26 miles for that trip. I was referring to my previous tank fill up, which was 26.7 MPG.

OP
OP
petertuna

petertuna

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha, that’s one way to put it! Thank you!

Sponsored
OP
OP
petertuna

petertuna

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only problem is that thing feels SLUGGISH.

OP I feel like you and I have had very similar experiences. My MPG was below 30 and I wasn't happy about it but today driving around I managed to get 61 mpg on the way to my destination and 52 on the way back since I drove a bit more aggressive to get away from some people driving awfully.
I tried using the EV coach once I was in my neighbourhood but I just couldn't, felt like a minigame that was distracting from my actual driving. I think what bumped my MPG is it being warmer and the truck was driving nicely and could feel the exact throttle % to not pass to keep it gliding smoothly.

Also had someone bump my tailgate while it was in the down position.
Very annoying considering I put in so much effort every time to park as close as possible to the curb and somehow stupid still manages to hit me with all the space I made for him.
Yes we do share very similar stories! I agree with the mini game feeling, which I kind of enjoy on open roads or in slower moving traffic. Can’t let it distract me. Yeah, the car was quicker than I expected which led to my 26 mpg…. You’ll probably get 90% efficiency with just driving lightly and being aware, but it’s nice to have that electric mode meter to keep an eye on while in slower moving traffic so you can keep a safe distance while following, while also staying in full electric and maximizing electric miles.
I also posted on your hybrid review. Great review btw.

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes we do share very similar stories! I agree with the mini game feeling, which I kind of enjoy on open roads or in slower moving traffic. Can’t let it distract me. Yeah, the car was quicker than I expected which led to my 26 mpg…. You’ll probably get 90% efficiency with just driving lightly and being aware, but it’s nice to have that electric mode meter to keep an eye on while in slower moving traffic so you can keep a safe distance while following, while also staying in full electric and maximizing electric miles.
I also posted on your hybrid review. Great review btw.
Yeah I think I'll give the EV coach a try when it's somewhere without stops because I think that's where I would need a coach haha.
And oh didn't realize it was you haha. Yeah I got inspired by Jukebox Nero's review and having that magical moment where the MPG was pretty high made me want to share my experience so far with it.

Deleted member 1483

Hypermiling my Escape with mostly highway driving got me a great result of 24.1mpg. So I think the hybrid will be an improvement even if I leave it in sport all the time.
Sponsored