First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Mitsubishi Montero, 2015 Fiesta ST
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey guys, I came across somebody else’s dash image in EV coach showing their “blue bar” quite a bit larger than I’ve ever seen mine, I drive pretty conservatively to maximize MPG and I have to drive VERY conservatively to try and keep it in “electric”, mainly in ECO. Can I get some input on the typical size bar you’re seeing on the coach screen. The biggest I’ve ever seen mine was extending to under the R in “electRic” The image I saw his was well beyond the word “electric” if that makes sense. I’m Wondering if there’s something up with mine.
Ford Maverick What’s your EV coach “blue bar” length? 09DB2436-497D-415A-A308-CB35EAED11D6
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On some rare occasions, supposedly particularly with the HVAC off, it'll have more drive capacity. I've seen mine do it 2 or 3 times.

Otherwise on mine the bar is pretty consistently the same size until the HV batt is tapering off at low percentage.

OP
OP
Baja_Roamer

Baja_Roamer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Mitsubishi Montero, 2015 Fiesta ST
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Doesn't that depend on your hybrid battery charge?
Yes it does, but after 1800 miles I’ve never seen it extend beyond that, so after seeing somebody else’s dash image showing it twice the size I’m curious if there’s something wrong with my batteries

Last edited:

Benilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yours won't ever be long because you keep using the battery. I've seen mine longer than your example after some highway driving where none of the battery is used

Sponsored

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wondering the same thing. My bar or box is never long. My gas mileage is never great. Usually around 35 MPG and 33 when I take long highway trips at 75 mph. I have suspected that the battery is not the same capacity it had when it was new but I can't figure a way to check it. The small box raises my suspicions again.

Drifter

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid BO, 2008 Shelby GT500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey guys, I came across somebody else’s dash image in EV coach showing their “blue bar” quite a bit larger than I’ve ever seen mine, I drive pretty conservatively to maximize MPG and I have to drive VERY conservatively to try and keep it in “electric”, mainly in ECO. Can I get some input on the typical size bar you’re seeing on the coach screen. The biggest I’ve ever seen mine was extending to under the R in “electRic” The image I saw his was well beyond the word “electric” if that makes sense. I’m Wondering if there’s something up with mine.
09DB2436-497D-415A-A308-CB35EAED11D6.jpeg
My 2023MY bar is the same size. If you look at a bunch of EV coach videos on YouTube, they all seem to be the same or very close in size.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What’s your EV coach “blue bar” length?

Isn't that a personal question ;)

hopsnbarley91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Sienna, 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The only time I've seen it longer is when I've remote started the vehicle to warm up and the ICE had been running a while.

Stock411

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It does that to cycle the battery and keep its health.

The Prius is the same way where it’ll never allow the battery to fully discharge or charge but keep it within a 50 - 75 % Range. Sometimes it’ll do a full discharge and charge to cycle the battery to prolong its life

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The long line can sometimes be glimpsed for a short time when you first start up in “all electric mode” aka “leaving the parking lot slowly” mode. You have no control over that ‘mode’, if we can call it that, it’s automatic.

As soon as ICE kicks in for the first time, however, the chance you’ll see that capacity is gone for the rest of the trip. And the bar on startup doesn't always appear this bountifully either, there are lots of variables. If you do get lucky enough to see it, it’s size diminishes pretty fast if you can manage to stay on battery power for a little bit.

But for a brief period of time you can get a nice feeling of knowing your battery and electric motor COULD do a lot more than they usually do, but it’s limited by design for battery longevity and probably a number of other reasons others could expound upon more.

What you’re seeing is normal. This picture below is the rare, brief exception.

Ford Maverick What’s your EV coach “blue bar” length? 0E5D28FD-65D3-487B-92F5-5DF909528374

Last edited:

TE37Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The long line can sometimes be glimpsed for a short time when you first start up in “all electric mode” aka “leaving the parking lot slowly” mode. You have no control over that ‘mode’, if we can call it that, it’s automatic.

As soon as ICE kicks in for the first time, however, the chance you’ll see that capacity is gone for the rest of the trip. And the bar on startup doesn't always appear this bountifully either, there are lots of variables. If you do get lucky enough to see it, it’s size diminishes pretty fast if you can manage to stay on battery power for a little bit.

But for a brief period of time you can get a nice feeling of knowing your battery and electric motor COULD do a lot more than they usually do, but it’s limited by design for battery longevity and probably a number of other reasons others could expound upon more.

What you’re seeing is normal. This picture below is the rare, brief exception.

0E5D28FD-65D3-487B-92F5-5DF909528374.jpeg
This is correct. Only happens occasionally at start up on the first drive cycle. Doesn’t last long and it diminishes quickly. Soon as the engine turns on the first time it’s gone.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is correct. Only happens occasionally at start up on the first drive cycle. Doesn’t last long and it diminishes quickly. Soon as the engine turns on the first time it’s gone.
What you said can happen but it's not the only time.

The battery can be 30% to 70%.

The blue bar is really small 30% to 35%.
The blue bar is more or less "normal" size 35% to 65%.
The blue bar is really large 65% to 70%.

Guess where the battery charge usually is? Above 35% and below 65%.
💡

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A blue bar on top of the white in hybrid drive seems to mean: Lower throttle (torque request) to here and the engine will shut off.

It comes on and gets more pronounced when battery charge is high and climbing.

It's not the only time you can get into EV though. You can get EV at any time (well 99% of the time) on a warm engine by taking your foot off the torque pedal (throttle) completely for a second or two and gently reapply.

HTH

Last edited:

TE37Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A blue bar on top of the white in hybrid drive seems to mean: Lower throttle (torque request) to here and the engine will shut off.

It comes on and gets more pronounced when battery charge is high and climbing.

It's not the only time you can get into EV though. You can get EV at any time (well 99% of the time) on a warm engine by taking your foot off the torque pedal (throttle) completely.

HTH
Don’t think that was the question
Sponsored