Sponsored

Undercoating / rustproofing Mavericks. RU?

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you do decide to go undecoated for the love of god dont use that solid rubber coating or whatever liner it is, use an oil based spray on product. The solid stuff is such a headache. Traps water and causes issues over time with creating MORE rust and a nightmare to do any maintenance when bolts are covered in the s**t.

Id gonna look into Fluid FIlm myself just because this is gonna be my first new car purchase and Id like to own it til I run it into the ground.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TC in MN

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure if anyone (other than me) takes Consumer Reports articles seriously anymore, but according to this article new cars really don't need an aftermarket undercoating.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/does-your-car-need-undercoating/
Great article! For me, it said already coated and dealers product a no go. The take away is don’t unless you use professionals, like Ziebart here in the Twin Cities. If I have the money, yeah; tight, most likely no.

The64

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm in northern NY. With all of the plastic underneath and the wheel liners I think I will just do the pinch weld and exposed area of the frame with an oil based paint. Ziebart quoted me 599 and they take nothing off.

OP
OP
TC in MN

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm in northern NY. With all of the plastic underneath and the wheel liners I think I will just do the pinch weld and exposed area of the frame with an oil based paint. Ziebart quoted me 599 and they take nothing off.
Damn, didn’t think to ask that question….good call

TMFord

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was considering it, but after a good look at the underside of the Maverick it seems like a waste. Unless you want to remove lots of shielding yourself before the service is performed you will be paying to have mostly plastic and metal shields coated.

Sponsored

GaryHoosier

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Maverick 2.0L XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Like many of us, waiting for my build date just gives me more time to think about what I want to do to my CG 2.0 XLT AWD loaded except for moonroof and FX4.

I have asked two dealerships for what they would use (to be fair, only a couple of days out from asking). I also talked with Chad today at a Ziebart franchise in Bloomington, MN who quoted $799 for both undercoating and rustproofing applications (yearly update for $60.00 to keep warranty up). There was some disconnect about if the shields (for air flow mpg) would be removed during their process, so I sent the video of underneath a Maverick 2.0 AWD.

For those of us who live in snow country, are you thinking of undercoating/ rustproofing your Maverick and if so, who are you planning to use and why?

thanks to all
...I'm in WI, where everything eventually falls victim to roadsalt.
There are a few spots which are most prone to exhibit rust first...wheel arches of pickup beds among the worst.
While I considered rustproofing, I've decided to forego it. Instead I will just be extra attentive to flushing the underside and vulnerable spots at every washing, particularly in winter.
I'm retired so have the time, LOL.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
...I'm in WI, where everything eventually falls victim to roadsalt.
There are a few spots which are most prone to exhibit rust first...wheel arches of pickup beds among the worst.
While I considered rustproofing, I've decided to forego it. Instead I will just be extra attentive to flushing the underside and vulnerable spots at every washing, particularly in winter.
I'm retired so have the time, LOL.
This is what I'm going with too. Modern cars just don't need it as much. I might spray a few areas if I can get it up on a lift but generally your $$$ is better spent just washing frequently

IwannaMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XL Ecoboost Fwd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Newmav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Nova
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m just going to put it on my lift twice a year and hose it off. If anything looks like it’s getting rusty I’ll deal with it with frame paint.

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
just got mine and since I plan on keeping it a long time (10+ years) I do want to provide extra protection. cost cutting on vehicles I expect will show up as rust down the line. and then it is too late.

Sponsored

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It really depends on how long you intend to keep it.
5 years or less save your money, if forever then spend the cash.
hint: nothing lasts forever no matter what you do…
As for me I’m getting the dealer to undercoat it as it might help lower road noise.
The rust proofing sounds good but it will never get everywhere and it’s a waxy product that is indiscriminately sprayed in cavities which hardly ensures it won’t rust.
Will it hurt, no.
Will it help, arguably.
Will it cost you money, you bet!
Well my Maverick will be replacing a 1999 Honda accord, does that give you an indication of how long I plan on keeping it? LOL

Jer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT ordered, 2009 Ford Adrenalin
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To remove the rocker panel clips use a pliers. Be sure to get the pliers on the top and bottom part of the square clip and turn. I took all of mine off and only broke the first one while figuring out how they worked.

Jer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT ordered, 2009 Ford Adrenalin
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If your only keeping your vehicle three to five years, I would not worry about rust proofing. I live in Wisconsin and usually keep my vehicles ten years. They will rust in snow country.
I rustproofed my Maverick myself using a professional rust proofing spray gun and compressor. Removed spare tire. sprayed wheel with Waxoyl Hardwax Plus. Removed wheel liners and under body shields. Sprayed with Blast Surface Shield. Sprayed Surface Shield in doors and rocker panels.
Had a Ford dealer years back, rust proof my new 2002 Escape. Should have saved my money. They don't know how to rust proof.

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Optimus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I Fluid Film everything I get, before the next winter hits. Never know how long I’ll own something, and better to be safe than sorry. I also feel a proper undercoating (which is NOT rubberized undercoating) helps the sale of a used vehicle in my area of the country.
Sponsored