jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OK, guys. I understand that's how it is SUPPOSED to work, but I also believe that Ford did not INTEND for the brakes to be grabby at all. I was just trying to share a work-around that appears to prevent the "grabby brakes" in my Maverick. Since I started turning OFF the AutoHold, I've experienced it exactly zero times. Prior to turning it off, I got it fairly often.

The correlation isn't strong enough to equate to "causation" in my mind, but it seems to be related somehow. Since ALL the braking is computer controlled, and since we're talking about very low speeds here, I was suspicious that one of the sensors in that system might be off calibration slightly, causing AutoHold to engage before it is supposed to do so.

IF that were the case, it could explain both the symptoms I've experienced (grabby brakes at very low speed with AutoHold turned ON), and the reduction in those symptoms when I turned AutoHold OFF.

I'll shut up now, so no need to tell me yet again how wrong I am. For those who can't get in to your service department right away, you might just try this and see if it helps YOUR situation. Perhaps a long shot, but at least for my Maverick it seems to have helped.
Nothing personal, Auto Hold just doesn’t seem to explain what’s going on here. It’s a good thought nonetheless. :)

Below 6.2 mph (10 km/h) is when the vehicle begins to switch over to friction braking from blended friction and regenerative braking.

With light braking, not only are you not using friction braking above that point (you’re well within the limits of regen), below that point, it needs to start applying the friction brakes to provide seamless continuous braking. That itself can be tricky to get right - applying just the right pressure through the calipers onto the brake disks that you hardly realize anything happened.

Ford seems to have admitted that they haven’t made this process as seamless as it should be. Sounds like it’s simply applying more friction braking than it was previously applying regen, thus a noticeable increase in braking action (“grabby brakes”).

Of note, harder braking at higher speeds that requires a blend of regen and friction braking helps to mask the point where friction braking is blended in. That's because you have more speed to work with, and you're already braking hard. When you're moving slowly, and braking very gently, any jumps in braking action are much more noticeable.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shay

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Auto Hold has nothing whatsoever to do with the software problem that Ford has created a fix for. Most of us have never had Auro Hold turned on since the day our truck showed up at the dealership and keys handed to us yet we have had all of these issues. Thus we don't need "turning it off" as a workaround, Ford has created a solve for the problem. It's called new software.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OK, guys. I understand that's how it is SUPPOSED to work, but I also believe that Ford did not INTEND for the brakes to be grabby at all. I was just trying to share a work-around that appears to prevent the "grabby brakes" in my Maverick. Since I started turning OFF the AutoHold, I've experienced it exactly zero times. Prior to turning it off, I got it fairly often.

The correlation isn't strong enough to equate to "causation" in my mind, but it seems to be related somehow. Since ALL the braking is computer controlled, and since we're talking about very low speeds here, I was suspicious that one of the sensors in that system might be off calibration slightly, causing AutoHold to engage before it is supposed to do so.

IF that were the case, it could explain both the symptoms I've experienced (grabby brakes at very low speed with AutoHold turned ON), and the reduction in those symptoms when I turned AutoHold OFF.

I'll shut up now, so no need to tell me yet again how wrong I am. For those who can't get in to your service department right away, you might just try this and see if it helps YOUR situation. Perhaps a long shot, but at least for my Maverick it seems to have helped.
I've had the grabby brakes since I picked up my Maverick nearly a year ago. Probably used auto hold 3 times during that period. Has nothing to do with it. Since the programming update appears to resolve the issue, it is clear it was a software problem not related to the auto hold feature.

Starwatcher

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I have an appointment to get the TSB done in a couple weeks.(but the girl did not know what a TSB was) I will try your fix today and see if it works. Thanks

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have an appointment to get the TSB done in a couple weeks.(but the girl did not know what a TSB was) I will try your fix today and see if it works. Thanks
Just to be technically correct - NOT a fix. At best, a potential work-around for some cases.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shay

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After driving for about 150 miles on the new software patch I'm calling this a B+ to A- fix. It's about 90% cured. I'm still getting at times the occasional step in though it's significantly less abrupt. In 150 mi I've had two abrupt step-ins pulling into a parking space with the front wheels turned. Overall though, 90% better.

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I took the service bulletin to my local dealer and handed it to one of of the service guys out front. He looked like I had just handed him a dead rat. He had no idea about the bulletin or the grabby break issue

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After driving for about 150 miles on the new software patch I'm calling this a B+ to A- fix. It's about 90% cured. I'm still getting at times the occasional step in though it's significantly less abrupt. In 150 mi I've had two abrupt step-ins pulling into a parking space with the front wheels turned. Overall though, 90% better.
Agree. After driving mine today, I would give it the same grade. Still, much better, but perhaps a future TSB will tweak it a little toward the 100% target.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Auto Hold has nothing whatsoever to do with the software problem that Ford has created a fix for. Most of us have never had Auro Hold turned on since the day our truck showed up at the dealership and keys handed to us yet we have had all of these issues. Thus we don't need "turning it off" as a workaround, Ford has created a solve for the problem. It's called new software.
NOT to be rude, but....

When my truck was fresh from the factory my air conditioning would not shut off. If I shut it off this drive, parked with it off, very next key on the air conditioning would come right back on. Convinced it was a defect, 2 weeks into ownership and 2 weeks of air conditioner use even on 55°F mornings, I was a hour away from making a service appointment.

Someone here suggested I cycle ALL the buttons. Even the ones I never use.

B-I-N-G-O the cycling of pressing every single button on and off got the truck out of the vicious cycle of ALWAYS running the air conditioning compressor. It either got something stuck, unstuck, or reset some modules or something else not understood but 100% helpful.

While a long shot to be sure, cycling the buttons won't hurt right!? It has a small, but greater than zero chance of being helpful.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What if Ford's "fix" is to program the system to "cycle" all the buttons internally in the first 5 seconds, kind of like the MIL prove out? đŸ€Ł Wouldn't that be a riot!

Not far fetched either.
Wife's car has a TSB for traction control not returning to "on" after customer uses the button to turn it off. Indicator changes, but traction control stays off in some cases.

triangulumhalohydra

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Completely agree with you. Some of my excitement wore off after driving it again for a full day today. It's definitely better, but not 100%. I'm rating it a B+ as of day 2 with the "fix."

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Completely agree with you. Some of my excitement wore off after driving it again for a full day today. It's definitely better, but not 100%. I'm rating it a B+ as of day 2 with the "fix."
Please try this test when safe to do so.

Put the truck in "L" and coast without using the brake pedal all the way down. Use 100% regen. Please note the speed the regen ceases. Used to be 3 mph. Since we are trying to be specific, maybe use digital speedometer.

The Escapes used to be 6 mph.

Inquiring minds would like to know if the lower limit was changed.

TIA

PeteSJCA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Howdy, How long did it take the dealership to install the update? I made an appointment for next week and was told it could take a couple of days. :)

I was also told by a Ford CS rep that I could download the brake update and install it myself, thus avoiding the dealership all together.... Anybody else hear this? I looked for an update on the Ford Support/Service site and didn't find anything.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Howdy, How long did it take the dealership to install the update? I made an appointment for next week and was told it could take a couple of days. :)

I was also told by a Ford CS rep that I could download the brake update and install it myself, thus avoiding the dealership all together.... Anybody else hear this? I looked for an update on the Ford Support/Service site and didn't find anything.
Actual update took at least an hour. However my technician found other updates and did them all. No you can not install yourself.
Sponsored