Sponsored

Trailer Brake controller NFG

enigmalegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
From Mav22nc:
I live in the States. Got the notice in TBC software in the mail, made an appt at my dealer next day, got it fixed with software update 2 days later. Haven’t towed since then, but the mechanic who did the update and the head of the service Dept said I’m good to go.
When you get a chance turn your truck on and squeeze the manual braking system. If you see an error on the instrument panel then yes is good… but if you push your + or - buttons for your gain controller and you do not see an error stating that you do not have a trailer attached then you might be in the same boat we are
Sponsored

Mav22nc

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
When you get a chance turn your truck on and squeeze the manual braking system. If you see an error on the instrument panel then yes is good… but if you push your + or - buttons for your gain controller and you do not see an error stating that you do not have a trailer attached then you might be in the same boat we are
Mav22nc here again: I tried what you suggested. With the engine on and transmission in both “Park” and “Drive,” AND either pushing the + or - buttons in the TBC or squeezing the sliders, the message on the screen reads,”No trailer Attached.” Seems to me like it’s working working correctly.

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
all you do is turn your truck on and start by squeezing the manual breaks first. you should get a message that said "no trailer attach". IF that works then you want to push the +/- button to adjust the gain. if you see the numbers increasing or decreasing on your instrument cluster with the same message that said "no trailer attached" then your controller is working as intended. if you do no see "anything" on your cluster then you maybe on the same boat as me
Thanks,

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't have my travel trailer yet so did the suggested test. When I squeezed the manual slider, I got the error message no trailer attached. Also got the same message when pushing the + and - for the amount of gain. Does this mean that I can ignore the recall?

enigmalegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I don't have my travel trailer yet so did the suggested test. When I squeezed the manual slider, I got the error message no trailer attached. Also got the same message when pushing the + and - for the amount of gain. Does this mean that I can ignore the recall?
I wouldn't ignore the recall... The issues describe on this post is partly affected by the recall... The part that we are suffering from it is not a problem cover by the recall. the recall address the sudden lost of breaking. Our problem is mostly with the module itself where the manual part of it works and the automatic gain settings does not

Sponsored

enigmalegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
and update to my situation

- a new IPC ( Instrument cluster module) has been installed in order to remedy the issue, however, the integrated trailer break module is still no able to communicate to the new IPC
- Another "hotline" case has been open with Ford
- The tech is thinking this might be a "programming" issue (which i have been stating that to the tech so he can tell Ford all alone but Ford continue to have the tech jump to hoops in order to get to that point.)
- The ford mechanic did re-stated again that "it is safe to haul my camper and that the manual brake continue to work". He also stated that "all functions are working, just the display of the gain on the IPC is not"
- i should be picking my truck soon and asking for the release to tow "in writing" just so i am protected next week when i finally go on a camping vacation".

Ford is currently in Jeopardy of been in violation of Ohio's lemon law:

In the first year or first 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first:
  • Have three or more attempts been made to repair one problem and then the problem either continues to exist or occurs again? Ford Had attempted 4 times to fix the issue
  • Has the vehicle been in the shop for a cumulative total of 30 days or more during its first year or 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first? Ford has been messing with the truck since April 19th
  • Have eight or more attempts been made to fix different problems? Not applicable at this time
  • Has one unsuccessful attempt been made to fix a problem that could cause death or serious injury? The recall clearly stated that " loss of trailer brake functionality could result in an extended stopping distance, increasing the risk of a crash" so there is that
If you answered “yes” to at least one of these four questions, you have the legal right to ask the manufacturer to replace the lemon or refund the entire purchase price.

Once it is clear that your vehicle has not been fixed, the manufacturer may, at your option, give you a new vehicle or refund the “full purchase price.” That price includes all of the following:
  • The purchase price for the car plus the costs for transportation, dealer preparation, delivery, dealer-installed accessories and other services.
  • The costs for financing and credit insurance, as well as any warranty and service contract charges.
  • Taxes and any other government charges, including state sales tax, license fees and registration fees.
SOOOOOOOO let see where the next chapter takes me...

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
and update to my situation

- a new IPC ( Instrument cluster module) has been installed in order to remedy the issue, however, the integrated trailer break module is still no able to communicate to the new IPC
- Another "hotline" case has been open with Ford
- The tech is thinking this might be a "programming" issue (which i have been stating that to the tech so he can tell Ford all alone but Ford continue to have the tech jump to hoops in order to get to that point.)
- The ford mechanic did re-stated again that "it is safe to haul my camper and that the manual brake continue to work". He also stated that "all functions are working, just the display of the gain on the IPC is not"
- i should be picking my truck soon and asking for the release to tow "in writing" just so i am protected next week when i finally go on a camping vacation".

Ford is currently in Jeopardy of been in violation of Ohio's lemon law:

In the first year or first 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first:
  • Have three or more attempts been made to repair one problem and then the problem either continues to exist or occurs again? Ford Had attempted 4 times to fix the issue
  • Has the vehicle been in the shop for a cumulative total of 30 days or more during its first year or 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first? Ford has been messing with the truck since April 19th
  • Have eight or more attempts been made to fix different problems? Not applicable at this time
  • Has one unsuccessful attempt been made to fix a problem that could cause death or serious injury? The recall clearly stated that " loss of trailer brake functionality could result in an extended stopping distance, increasing the risk of a crash" so there is that
If you answered “yes” to at least one of these four questions, you have the legal right to ask the manufacturer to replace the lemon or refund the entire purchase price.

Once it is clear that your vehicle has not been fixed, the manufacturer may, at your option, give you a new vehicle or refund the “full purchase price.” That price includes all of the following:
  • The purchase price for the car plus the costs for transportation, dealer preparation, delivery, dealer-installed accessories and other services.
  • The costs for financing and credit insurance, as well as any warranty and service contract charges.
  • Taxes and any other government charges, including state sales tax, license fees and registration fees.
SOOOOOOOO let see where the next chapter takes me...
Damn - Ford needs go DEFCON/1 on this. Good luck and thanks for the update. I wonder about the slightly upgraded Sync3 /Infotainment with the Lariat / Lux having any better luck with not having this issue?

OP
OP
RogueCheddar

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I only found out about the recall because I noted that no gain controls were appearing when the trailer was hooked up. I did some googling and found out about the recall, the truck went in and I hoped that would be the fix, sadly not. Still waiting...

Gankiskhan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So how heavy is your loaded trailer. If it’s less than like 3500lbs, you wouldn’t Have To Have electric brakes. A little extra caution and stopping distance and you should be fine.
The reason for trailer brakes isn't necessarily because your car can't stop the trailer in ideal situations. It's much more than wear and tear on the breaks and your suspension. This is only a small part of why trailering with brakes is the best and safest way. The bigger issue is stopping distance and hills.

Also a quick Google shows most sates, including mine WA, 2999-3000lbs GVW is the max you can go without trailer brakes. I've checked other states and many are the similar. Texas and a few other states not withstanding. (GVW = the total weight (the weight of the empty trailer + the cargo you're hauling + any accessories, spare tires, etc.). GVWR = the maximum weight a trailer can safely transport, as determined by the trailer manufacturer.) Feel free to correct me. I don't care personally how much I carry. I want trailer brakes. I've not used them for years and my vehicles have paid the price. That and you can never predict what stupid people do in cars.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicle...-gross-vehicle-weight-vs-empty-vehicle-weight.

That said I too am having the same problem that was not fixed by adding the resistor. I'm towing again tomorrow and will do some trouble shooting. Pulling fuses, chasing gremlins, dabbing things with dielectric grease and banging drums to the electronics and software Gods, but I have little hope outside the fix Ford has or changing the trailer brake controller altogether.

My date with the dealer is later this month. I'm not holding my breath.

I'll be filing an NTSA report if the fix isn't imminent. I suggest anyone in the USA do the same if Ford can't find a fix for this for you. While this isn't such a big deal with Mavericks It is a big deal for all the other Ford owners having the exact same issue with this. Having higher trailering payloads with a malfunctioning controller represents a safety issue, so us adding to the noise will help light fires. https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index.

Many Staes also have lemon laws and against a big corp like ford sounding off together is often the only solution. Lemon lawyers love the sound of "class action". We the consumer often get a pittance but the company is forced to deal with the problems and we all get what we paid for. Sad it has to be this way but we are all Beta testers now for everything. Maybe they should not install things they didn't first Beta test themselves. I get sick of all this unpaid beta testing really.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RogueCheddar

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

UPDATE: Fixed! Got a call back from Ford Canada saying there was a Service Bulletin for my issue so speak to my dealer, got it booked in and all is now good, gain controls coming up on screen and storable. Technician had to do a software update on the instrument cluster as it would seem that some 4k packages came out of the factory without the correct software installed, i.e with the standard "2k" software.
My dealer also gave us 10000 fordpass points as compensation, not too shabby.

Sponsored

enigmalegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
UPDATE: Fixed! Got a call back from Ford Canada saying there was a Service Bulletin for my issue so speak to my dealer, got it booked in and all is now good, gain controls coming up on screen and storable. Technician had to do a software update on the instrument cluster as it would seem that some 4k packages came out of the factory without the correct software installed, i.e with the standard "2k" software.
Omg that make perfect sense !!! i am going to call my dealership and let them know !!

Gankiskhan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update: My dealership says it is user error in my case but my brakes still only work when I squeeze the Manuel paddles.
My dealer said nothing about a software update or wrong software. I have my suspicions though given the dealer had my vehicle for 4 days and told me when I called it would not be seen for 4 more days and when I hit up Ford chat to help me find a new dealer who could look at it in a more timely manner, It was suddenly ready when I arrived to collect it. "It had been looked at by the shop foreman" is what the guy said. I'm skeptical.
I am able to set gain adjustment and even at gain 10 I feel zero at the trailer while stopping. If I squeeze the paddles, at least at 5, I can feel the trailer stopping.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also got my TBC recall notice in the mail and took my Maverick to the dealer for the software update which was done a couple weeks ago and only took then about an hour. I have not yet tested it since I am not using my trailer for a few more weeks.

J.C.23

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Glad yours is working! Does the menu come up only when trailers attached or does it come up without it attached? Or does it at least give you the error message with no trailer attached? My buttons do nothing. I’m trying to figure out if there is an issue or if I need to find someone’s trailer with breaks to test it.

OP
OP
RogueCheddar

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Glad yours is working! Does the menu come up only when trailers attached or does it come up without it attached? Or does it at least give you the error message with no trailer attached? My buttons do nothing. I’m trying to figure out if there is an issue or if I need to find someone’s trailer with breaks to test it.
You should have gain settings come up when you press the buttons whether the trailer is there or not.
Sponsored