Sponsored

Trade in Maverick for Lightning

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 BMW 750 iL
I was curious if anyone here was considering trading in their maverick for a Lightning whenever they could get one delivered.

I put a reservation in last week, so I’m pretty far back in line - likely won’t get it until 2023 or beyond. I’m keeping it for now, with my eye on buying the Pro trim for the lightning, but I’m not sure if I’ll feel comfortable taking the financial hit selling a car after owning it for two years. Wondering if anyone else is having similar thoughts… that speed, capability, and AWD will be hard to pass up…
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You'd likely be better of leasing the Maverick and then swapping it to someone than buying and doing a trade-in in only a year or two.

BARTMAVERICK

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am not planning on trading my Maverick on a Lightning but I am planning on trading it on my reserved Bronco when I get it in 2023. I hope used car prices remain high until then.

Sponsored

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was curious if anyone here was considering trading in their maverick for a Lightning whenever they could get one delivered.

I put a reservation in last week, so I’m pretty far back in line - likely won’t get it until 2023 or beyond. I’m keeping it for now, with my eye on buying the Pro trim for the lightning, but I’m not sure if I’ll feel comfortable taking the financial hit selling a car after owning it for two years. Wondering if anyone else is having similar thoughts… that speed, capability, and AWD will be hard to pass up…
I really wanted to go with the Lightning but my concerns are this: 1. Currently the supporting infrastructure (charge sites - overall support of this new product) leaves me cautious. 2. The recent and former news about the batteries overheating (Talking to you Chevy!) is very unsettling. 3. The future of the total Electric Grid - I have NO confidence whatsoever, that the US Elect Grid is ready to handle an upsurge in EV users! 4. The impact on less Gas taxes currently has local / state governments scrambling to ID new taxes based on Highway usage and then dropping or diminishing over time - Gasoline taxes. 5. Overall IT access security - if the hackers are getting into large corp enterprises, larger Fed Organizations - and are constantly attacking all of the current utilities (Electric, Water, Gas etc.)... it is only a matter of time that this will be a huge problem. {Side note, folks that can currently afford this EV type of product are typically wealthy - what better way for a "bad actor" / hacker to gain notoriety for their successful penetration and hack? Also the secondary value of access to huge profits from data gained of the wealthy users?

By no means am I fully knowledgeable in these matters, common sense, reading articles periodically have been my focus of concerns. Also noteworthy, at 65 years of age, I think that I have maybe 15 - 20 years max for a lucid driving capability. And in that time, on the outer edge of 12 - 15 years - more than likely the US will have the Infrastructure matters handled, managed well!

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

"trading in" a truck you don't own yet and have never even seen or driven for another truck you've never seen or driven :unsure: Gettin a little far out in front of yourself aren't you? :ROFLMAO: I'm only interested in a truck that fits my needs now and going forward. The Maverick seems perfect for checking all the boxes (except the short bed), but I won't know for sure until I actually sit in and drive 1. For that reason I haven't even placed my order yet. If/When I do decide Maverick is the truck for me, I will buy it and keep forever- since I'm 63 it may not be THAT long...

Besides, we already have a 2018 F-150 with only 13k miles on it and I'm in no hurry to go electric on vehicles as I'm sure it's going to be a huge fail in rollout- and over time as Gov't fails to meet their promises of convenient charging networks and affordability. Only IF, and that's a BIG IF, the support networks are proven robust, reliable and affordable would I consider something like a Lightning. Otherwise I'm 100% ICE propulsion until it is taken away from me by Big Brother.

I'm thinking converting my existing vehicle(s) to full BEV would be the next logical step everything else considered.

Bill Cather

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I really wanted to go with the Lightning but my concerns are this: 1. Currently the supporting infrastructure (charge sites - overall support of this new product) leaves me cautious. 2. The recent and former news about the batteries overheating (Talking to you Chevy!) is very unsettling. 3. The future of the total Electric Grid - I have NO confidence whatsoever, that the US Elect Grid is ready to handle an upsurge in EV users! 4. The impact on less Gas taxes currently has local / state governments scrambling to ID new taxes based on Highway usage and then dropping or diminishing over time - Gasoline taxes. 5. Overall IT access security - if the hackers are getting into large corp enterprises, larger Fed Organizations - and are constantly attacking all of the current utilities (Electric, Water, Gas etc.)... it is only a matter of time that this will be a huge problem. {Side note, folks that can currently afford this EV type of product are typically wealthy - what better way for a "bad actor" / hacker to gain notoriety for their successful penetration and hack? Also the secondary value of access to huge profits from data gained of the wealthy users?

By no means am I fully knowledgeable in these matters, common sense, reading articles periodically have been my focus of concerns. Also noteworthy, at 65 years of age, I think that I have maybe 15 - 20 years max for a lucid driving capability. And in that time, on the outer edge of 12 - 15 years - more than likely the US will have the Infrastructure matters handled, managed well!
Excellent points and well thought out. I’m 68 and agree with every point you’ve made. People have been talking about EV’s since the gas crisis in the 70…. So thinking that the infrastructure will be there in my lifetime…. Rapid Red Maverick will be a keeper. BUT… I did entertain the thought till I read WasChops

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Excellent points and well thought out. I’m 68 and agree with every point you’ve made. People have been talking about EV’s since the gas crisis in the 70…. So thinking that the infrastructure will be there in my lifetime…. Rapid Red Maverick will be a keeper. BUT… I did entertain the thought till I read WasChops
Bill, thankfully some of the media information out there is not totally BS... I am grateful that I was "sensitive" to the little voice in my mind saying "WTF are you thinking?"... stop, read and get informed folks... best wishes to each and everyone of you... and let's all hope that the Maverick, once we get it, is a good value, reliable and worth all of this time patiently waiting!

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I heard/read somewhere that in due time, should be quickly once Lightning is released, every Ford dealer will be a charging point for the Lightning. So roughly 3,000 locations to charge on top of the Blink, etc sites.

Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would be more interested in trading to a Maverick Lightning in ~8 years. Truth be told though, I think/hope the battery tech is going to change a lot over the next decade.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
EV infrastructure is way too immature outside of California, and having to charge your vehicle all the time is tedious, particularly if you're parking a vehicle as large as the F-150 outside your garage. When its raining and you have to jump into the gas powered vehicle real quick, no biggie. But when you have to run over to get a high powered electrical outlet to plug into the vehicle so that you can make it to work and back in the morning, that's not great.

The highest cost of vehicle ownership is also not fuel, its depreciation, and some of the highest depreciating vehicles to date are EVs, such as the BMW i3 with 69% depreciation after 5 years and the Nissan Leaf with 67%.

A Jeep Wrangler by contrast has a 31% depreciation after 5 years.

So running some numbers, let say you buy a BMW i3 for $51.5K minus $7.5K tax credit = $44K or a Wrangler Rubicon for $44K.

The i3 would lose $35.5K of its original $51.5K MSRP is $16K residual value.

The Wrangler would lose $13.5K of its original $44K MSRP is $30.5K residual value.

Even if it cost nothing to install the charger in your home and charge the vehicle, the Wrangler would have to use $14.5K in fuel during those 5 years to break even, but at 22mpg, it should only use $8K in fuel in that time.

OP
OP
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 BMW 750 iL
Interesting thoughts…
For me, I would be using my vehicle as a daily driver, 50 miles per day to and from work, and then occasional trips to the hardware store for home projects. I will be able to fit the lightning in my garage, and my panel is also in the garage right next to where I park, so install will be easy.
That will cover me 99% of the time.
While the charging infrastructure is new/ developing, it is rapidly growing, with new locations being added every day, so I’m less worried about that especially since I don’t plan to use it much.
The bit about depreciation is interesting - that would definitely factor into the decision. I would hope the utility of it being an f-150 would help maintain the value, but it’s hard to argue with past history…
Sponsored