2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Some of you who have traded-in OLDER vehicles for your Mav, what's your experience with dealers been? I'm hearing some tales of dealers REALLY low-balling trade in values, to make back some money on the deal since the margins are so low on the Mavericks. What has your experience been?
Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I really think you should sell your vehicle yourself. Private party sales are super easy to do. Trading in is a waste of money. If that old ranger is yours you will make a good amount selling it and get hosed trading it.

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are more than one of us with a trade waiting for our truck. I have a 2018 Honda hybrid waiting to trade in. Used cars are selling for high prices right now and I hope that means higher amounts for trade-ins. I shall see when it comes time to take delivery or tell them no way with a low ball offer.

MTMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Chevy 1T
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some of you who have traded-in OLDER vehicles for your Mav, what's your experience with dealers been? I'm hearing some tales of dealers REALLY low-balling trade in values, to make back some money on the deal since the margins are so low on the Mavericks. What has your experience been?
They offered me $9,000ish for my 2013 Honda Accord with 62,000 miles (did have minor hail damage). I declined and sold it for $13,500.

woowoo2

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rav4, 2011 Rav4, 2009 CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Until some of the "Kinks" get worked out, I am going to hang on to my current ride for at least a year.

Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dealer offered $12,500 for a 2014 Nissan Murano w/94k in excellent condition. Vroom offered $9,500 and I sold it to Carvana for $14,680.

Frankly, I never checked to see what book was, but felt like the Carvana price wasn’t bad considering the other offers.

OP
OP
Last Truck Ever

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I really think you should sell your vehicle yourself. Private party sales are super easy to do. Trading in is a waste of money. If that old ranger is yours you will make a good amount selling it and get hosed trading it.
I've just never sold one private party, I'm not sure I know how, other than parking at my driveway with a sign on it or list it on Facebook Marketplace? Also I'm a woman, not sure how to navigate having strangers come over and want to test drive and all that when I'm alone.

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Private party may be easy for some. The thing about that is you don't know who your are dealing with. Also, unless they have cash, is their check good? On the other side, if you buy from a private party and as you drive it home, the engine blows up, what do you do? You never know. What would an individual do when they had no idea the engine was about to blow or maybe they think you did something to make it blow. When you trade or sell to a dealer, they have all the angles to deal with that type of stuff - both ways - sell or buy.

Dochatley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've just never sold one private party, I'm not sure I know how, other than parking at my driveway with a sign on it or list it on Facebook Marketplace? Also I'm a woman, not sure how to navigate having strangers come over and want to test drive and all that when I'm alone.
Being in your position I would Ck values on KBB and also see what Carvana, Vroom and some of the other online sites offer you. Then when you go to trade you will have an idea if it’s a deal you can live with. I understand about not wanting to deal with strangers and a good point was made if something goes wrong with the car soon after sale it’s not your problem.

Sponsored

uga

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Often if you advise the dealer your shopping price with Carvana, Vroom, Carmax etc. they will let you know if their interested in your trade.

Also, if you have a vehicle that gets good mpg and/or is popular, sell it your self, start high and be patient.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
Agreed! The dealer, Carvana, and Vroom offered us around $1000 for our Pontiac Vibe. We sold it on the corner for $3800. Selling it yourself is definitely the way to go.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To much BS going on with private sales. Have had times where I was asking for like 10K. Guy says he's interested then offers me some ridiculas lowball price. Not to mention the crazies out there. If you are willing to put up with this you could probably get more than a trade in.
Also remember the sales tax on the Mav should be reduced by the value of your trade.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
My dealer didn't seem to want to give me even a ballpark for my trade. They said, "we will appraise it when you come to pick up your truck". They want you to have limited options and be all excited about your new truck. Then the used car manager will lowball the shit out of you.

I sold my trade to Carvana.

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Eco Lux FX4 4K CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So we were in a similar place - our 2017 Ridgeline Black had less than 50K miles. You should do what we we did - go online, get valuations and then get Carvana, Autonation, etc. to give you a value. The valuations were all over the place, with KBB being the lowest/most inaccurate. We then took our truck in to the dealer a week or so before with valuations and they gave us a price For trade in and a price for purchase.

I then did a spreadsheet comparing costs. When We trade in - we get a sales tax reduction and only pay tax on the difference. You need to factor that into the “private sale” vs. trade in. In the end, we had modest savings on trade in compared to the high end private sale price - PLUS the ease of just trading in.

So we traded in and they honored the price they had quoted almost two weeks before. I’m certain they do the same thing I did - know the sales tax savings vs. private sale valuation and then create the pricing they offer. Good luck
Sponsored