First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've just never sold one private party, I'm not sure I know how, other than parking at my driveway with a sign on it or list it on Facebook Marketplace? Also I'm a woman, not sure how to navigate having strangers come over and want to test drive and all that when I'm alone.
I used the military lemon lot. Do you know anyone that can let you use one near you? People arenā€™t as scary as you think. You go to stores with strangers everyday. I usually require their insurance card and a photo of their ID then let them drive the car without me. If they steal it insurance will pay you more than a dealer. šŸ˜†

steps to selling a car.
1. Find buyer
2. Get title notarized (at bank) and fill out a buyers order. Take cash/money order/cashiers check. Remove the plates and give them the keys.
3. Let DMV know you sold it and get a refund for unused registration time.

It may seem intimidating but it really isnā€™t hard at all. You got this!

You can also offer a car broker a percent to sell it for you.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Last Truck Ever

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey thanks,
I used the military lemon lot. Do you know anyone that can let you use one near you? People arenā€™t as scary as you think. You go to stores with strangers everyday. I usually require their insurance card and a photo of their ID then let them drive the car without me. If they steal it insurance will pay you more than a dealer. šŸ˜†

steps to selling a car.
1. Find buyer
2. Get title notarized (at bank) and fill out a buyers order. Take cash/money order/cashiers check. Remove the plates and give them the keys.
3. Let DMV know you sold it and get a refund for unused registration time.

It may seem intimidating but it really isnā€™t hard at all. You got this!

You can also offer a car broker a percent to sell it for you.
Hey thanks, I actually feel a bit better about the possibility now, reading all your guys advise - thanks! Now I just gotta figure out the logistics of a one-person household selling their only car to raise money for a car that I need my car to go get! LOL! Cross that bridge when I get there.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey thanks,

Hey thanks, I actually feel a bit better about the possibility now, reading all your guys advise - thanks! Now I just gotta figure out the logistics of a one-person household selling their only car to raise money for a car that I need my car to go get! LOL! Cross that bridge when I get there.
No problem. Consider explaining the the buyer you need the car tell the maverick shows up. Or rent something cheap for the last week. Door 3, you could sell right after buying the Maverick and refinance with your down payment.. maybe the dealer can loan you a car for a couple days at a small to no cost?

Last edited:

Nomadikhan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 Daytona Shelby Z, 07 Yaris, 22 Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not exactly, maybe, what te OP was looking for but...

I was up front about not trading in my daily when I pre-ordered. They were okay with that. When it came time to pickup and finish paperwork the salesman asked for my keys to inspect my vehicle. I asked why, color me confused. It dawned on me he wanted to inspect my trade-in. I had to correct him that I was trading anything in and he asked why not. Longstory short, I told him it's a great car and dependable, no reason to let it go to the crusher for the measly 500 they'd offer, to that he laughed and said I was correct that that is exactly what'd happen to it.

I get into the finance guy's office and he's counting my 5000 in 20's (took him a few tries) and he asks about my trade in as he didn't see it on the paperwork, so had to explain it all over again.

I guess they make a killing on crushing vehicles, I dunno, because they really wanted my 2007 toyota yaris bad lol.

They didn't get it, still sits in the garage, getting a front brake job soon as I clean up stuff around the Daytona and gain some space back.

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've just never sold one private party, I'm not sure I know how, other than parking at my driveway with a sign on it or list it on Facebook Marketplace? Also I'm a woman, not sure how to navigate having strangers come over and want to test drive and all that when I'm alone.
Anyone , lady or man, selling anything, meet the person at a police station parking lot in the daytime. If you can, bring someone with you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Last Truck Ever

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Honestly, in the neighborhood where I live, I'm thinking there's an excellent chance I put a sign on the Ranger and one of my neighbors walks over and buys it. There are a lot of tradespeople in my neighborhood, painters and construction workers who would probably love to have it.

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 VW Passat, 2015 Nissan Sentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Some of you who have traded-in OLDER vehicles for your Mav, what's your experience with dealers been? I'm hearing some tales of dealers REALLY low-balling trade in values, to make back some money on the deal since the margins are so low on the Mavericks. What has your experience been?
My dealer had (still has?) a standing $2500 for your trade. My 94 Ranger with all its issues was probably worth little more than scrap value. So, I felt like I got more than fair value for my trade.

OP
OP
Last Truck Ever

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My dealer had (still has?) a standing $2500 for your trade. My 94 Ranger with all its issues was probably worth little more than scrap value. So, I felt like I got more than fair value for my trade.
As much as I think I could sell it privately for a bit more, I'm buying from a dealer an hour away, so it would be much easier for me to just drive over there and trade it in. IF they do right by it.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
Now you're thinking.

Facebook Marketplace is good for selling cheap(ish) stuff.

Honestly, in the neighborhood where I live, I'm thinking there's an excellent chance I put a sign on the Ranger and one of my neighbors walks over and buys it. There are a lot of tradespeople in my neighborhood, painters and construction workers who would probably love to have it.

MTMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Chevy 1T
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As much as I think I could sell it privately for a bit more, I'm buying from a dealer an hour away, so it would be much easier for me to just drive over there and trade it in. IF they do right by it.
My Ford dealer was an hour away. I brought my potential trade in a week ahead of time (I was in town for a dentist appointment already). After they looked at it they said it they would give me around $9k for the trade. I had already approached a local used car dealer in town and he offered me $11k cash so I knew the Ford dealer was lowballing me so I said no thanks, I'll just pay cash when I pick up my Maverick.

I'm really happy I didn't go the "easy" route and rely on the Ford dealer's generosity to give me a good deal on the trade. Had they come in at $11k I would have let them have it. As it was I went on my own and sold it for $13.5k.

Sponsored

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Private sale. If you have a really old vehicle they're buying it cheap to take it to auction where it will be bought by a shall used car lot, a junk yard looking for parts, or a scrapper.

In the end, you'll either get a better price or sell a car to someone that needs one for a better price.

My dealership offered me 500 and a used car lot offered me 900. Sold it to a guy I knew for the 900 since I knew the used lot would mark it up a few hundred minimum.

Given the condition it was only worth maybe 1500 at absolute best pricing.

AmadoH

First Name
Amado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
My wife was involved in an accident with my 2018 civic hatchback ex with 62k miles on it, long story short wifey is okay vehicle was totaled, and insurance valued my car at 27 thousand, I still owe 9k, vehicle was paid off now I'm just patiently waiting for my Mav.

Last edited:

trwknox

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger fx2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
my dealer took me on my trade in not knowing no better I took his offer got me for about $ 3000.00, know better now will sell my next one and forget the dealer offer there are places that will give you a beter price he said kbb was not good when i asked him about what thet said the value of my 2020 ranger was only had3900 miles JUST BRWARE OF THE CROOKS

Grozk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Santa Cruz, Cayman, Mroadster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just want to point out many states give the same sales tax credit whether you trade a vehicle or sell it privately. Usually the credit sunsets in a period of time (I.e. 6months in my experience), so donā€™t sell too early before registering a new vehicle (which in the case of an ordered Maverick is a big unknownšŸ˜³).

so for those selling privately you *could* actually get a bigger credit than trading If you sell higher than trade value.
Sponsored