Torn on whether to purchase

Grim

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I'll start off by saying that I submitted a Maverick reservation first thing this morning. With that being said, on to why I'm torn on whether or not it will actually translate in to a purchase...

I love the idea of a smaller, hybrid truck. Something that I can fit easily in to my garage, provides me with great gas mileage, and also gives me the additional flexibility that truck ownership would provide. The bed would be more useful to me than a higher towing capacity, so I wouldn't consider myself limited in that regard. I think Ford did a great job with what the Maverick turned out to be. Overall almost every box is checked except for my own personal situation except for one... AWD on the Hybrid.

I live in Upstate New York and regularly deal with a long winter where 100"+ of snow is more the norm than an exception. Having power to those two additional wheels can be the difference in whether a vehicle can confidently travel once the weather takes a turn for the worse. Unfortunately I expected this to be the case this morning once specs were officially announced due to comparisons to the Escape and Bronco Sport, but now I am officially left considering whether I -
  1. "Risk" moving forward with the Hybrid knowing that it is only FWD.
  2. Go with the 2.0L AWD and sacrifice ~10-12MPG. I'd assume an AWD Hybrid would be likely to lose ~3MPG (theoretically) anyways, so in reality I'm talking about a net of ~7-9MPG loss.
  3. Wait to see if the market changes at all and continue to drive my gas guzzling V8 Grand Cherokee.
Anyone else in a similar boat? If so, what are your thoughts?
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I wonder if it's the chip shortage, makes no sense otherwise on a pickup. I was very excited but have now completely lost interest. Plus the rear seat is ridiculously too small.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately I expected this to be the case this morning once specs were officially announced due to comparisons to the Escape and Bronco Sport, but now I am officially left considering whether I -
  2. Go with the 2.0L AWD and sacrifice ~10-12MPG. I'd assume an AWD Hybrid would be likely to lose ~3MPG (theoretically) anyways, so in reality I'm talking about a net of ~7-9MPG loss.
  3. Wait to see if the market changes at all and continue to drive my gas guzzling V8 Grand Cherokee.
I am not planning on buying for another 6-7 months, because I want to pay bills down before taking on a car payment.

My vote is to get something that gets much better gas mileage with gas prices probably not going down anytime soon. But, I grew-up with a dad preaching fuel economy after he got burned switching from a 4-banger to a truck just before the 1973 oil crisis got underway. The short version being he quadrupled his gasoline budget because he halved his fuel efficiency and then the price of gas doubled.

However, I am in a bit of a dilemma deciding between the hybrid FWD and turbo AWD power trains. A pick-up that gets similar gas mileage to my honda insight checks all the boxes for me. But, I'm 42 and I've always wanted a 4WD truck, and I've never had one. So, my dying testosterone levels wand an AWD drive train on this vehicle. The downside? The turbo engine increases the MSRP by $4300 to get AWD.

Last edited:

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am in a similar situation. Upstate NY. Both of my current vehicles have 4WD/AWD AND I keep snow's on them in the winter (included dedicated wheels to make the changeover easier).

If the Maverick was available in Hybrid + AWD, that would be my choice. But it isn't. So I can wait to see if one shows up in a year or so, or make a decision based on what is available now.

My choice is also influenced in that one of my vehicles already has the towing/payload/truck bed size I need: I have a 2015 F150 XLT 3.5L Eco-boost X302 pkg. I'm looking at the Maverick to instead replace a 2006 Subaru Outback (manual, AWD) which honestly is still OK (154K miles on it).

As of a couple/few weeks ago, I didn't even know that the Maverick would come standard with a Hybrid, so using that logic one approach is to say "Well, you would have bought it with the 2.0L Turbo + AWD a week ago, and still can". But having the option of Hybrid as my "drive around town" truck(let) changes the decision making process -- and maybe I can still be OK in upstate winters with FWD (perhaps put snows on it) - knowing that if the whether is really sh*tty I could park it and use the F150.

Sponsored

zeaken

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster
I'll start off by saying that I submitted a Maverick reservation first thing this morning. With that being said, on to why I'm torn on whether or not it will actually translate in to a purchase...

I love the idea of a smaller, hybrid truck. Something that I can fit easily in to my garage, provides me with great gas mileage, and also gives me the additional flexibility that truck ownership would provide. The bed would be more useful to me than a higher towing capacity, so I wouldn't consider myself limited in that regard. I think Ford did a great job with what the Maverick turned out to be. Overall almost every box is checked except for my own personal situation except for one... AWD on the Hybrid.

I live in Upstate New York and regularly deal with a long winter where 100"+ of snow is more the norm than an exception. Having power to those two additional wheels can be the difference in whether a vehicle can confidently travel once the weather takes a turn for the worse. Unfortunately I expected this to be the case this morning once specs were officially announced due to comparisons to the Escape and Bronco Sport, but now I am officially left considering whether I -
I live in buffalo and I drive a Boxster year round right now. I am far more concerned about steep driveways then snow. Get some snows and you will be fine up till about 8" of standing snow on the roads which is maybe 1-2 times a year depending on what part of upstate.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Grim

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
zeketolliver said:
The turbo engine increases the MSRP by $4500 to get AWD?
Yes that is a good point as well. Luckily it starts at a relatively low price to begin with, but it's certainly no small chunk of change to go from Hybrid to 2.0L w/ AWD.

TooManyVehicles said:
and maybe I can still be OK in upstate winters with FWD (perhaps put snows on it) - knowing that if the whether is really sh*tty I could park it and use the F150.
Like you I always put snows on when winter comes, but it has been so long since I've had a FWD vehicle in the winter that I can barely remember what it was like. I had a FWD Ford Fusion at one point and putting snows on it turned it from an ice skate to a tank. I suppose it's a consideration to keep my Jeep as well, but I've never been one to be a multi-vehicle person. How unfortunate would it be if the family "snow capable" vehicle ended up being my wife's AWD Prius.

kingranchero said:
What about having a set of dedicated snow tires that you swap on in winter? I've generally had good experiences with that setup.
Would definitely do this regardless of the choice. The difference between snows and not having them is night and day.

Hammersticks

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I have basically decided to wait for a hybrid AWD option that has higher towing capabilities. The 2000 lb limit is a massive letdown for me. I am also holding out hopes for Sync 4 as well in the future. I am willing to settle for 3 if I can get the AWD Hybrid option with better towing specs.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am not planning on buying for another 6-7 months, because I want to pay bills down before taking on a car payment.

My vote is to get something that gets much better gas mileage with gas prices probably not going down anytime soon. But, I grew-up with a dad preaching fuel economy after he got burned switching from a 4-banger to a truck just before the 1973 oil crisis got underway. The short version being he quadrupled his gasoline budget because he halved his fuel efficiency and then the price of gas doubled.

However, I am in a bit of a dilemma deciding between the hybrid FWD and turbo AWD power trains. A pick-up that gets similar gas mileage to my honda insight checks all the boxes for me. But, I'm 42 and I've always wanted a 4WD truck, and I've never had one. So, my dying testosterone levels wand an AWD drive train on this vehicle. The downside? The turbo engine increases the MSRP by $4300 to get AWD.
my XL build sheet shows $3,305 added for upgrade to AWD with 2.0L engine. Check the build configurator again.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
my XL build sheet shows $3,305 added for upgrade to AWD with 2.0L engine. Check the build configurator again.
Mea culpa; you are correct. AWD adds $2220 as "options", which means the $1085 and $2220 combine to add the $3305.

Still, I'd rather pay $3305 less and get 12-15 more mpg. So, at this point, I'm all in on a Maverick hybrid, though most likely a Lariat with the luxury package.

It will be interesting to see what sticker prices look like compared to online MSRP's with destination charges.

I'm also hoping a hybrid AWD will be available by the time I am ready to buy.

Runjohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150

I am concerned for the space if I were buying the Truck. I am buying one for my Daughter(Not Spoiled Just Loved.) She is a Kayak Queen and I know this will make it easier for her to lug it around. The fuel economy will make it easier for her as well. I am excited to get a 40MPG Truck and probably will get the red or gold color. Ford this is a winner!!!
Sponsored