First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love having the moonroof and was a must have for me. I'm 6'1" and have plenty of headroom. I find that worry very odd. But then again someone was complaining about their 50 year old cars moonroof leaking, so, whatever. To the just roll down your windows crowd, when I'm driving to work, that screws up your hair. I don't have a ballcap job. That's not a problem with the moonroof vented and back window open. And because I live in the PNW, the temperature zone to use it frequently is just right. Pretty quiet using it on the highway too which surprised me. But, buy what you like. I like it and use it. Same for the back window slider.
The complaint that the moon roof takes away head room is a wrong. If it takes 1/2 to 1 inch I'd be surprised...My Ford sales rep was 6' 4' and had plenty of head room sitting in the driver's seat.

Regarding wind noise! My Mini-Cooper S sunroof was noisy, so I added a correct width roof deflector in front of the sunroof...noise 80% eliminated and deflected light rain off sunroof, and it looked good. ($30 to $40 and took only minutes to stick on)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gooberhamm

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Corolla S Premium
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In my mind, the moon roof isn't big enough, but that's ok. Wish it offered a full view, wider and deeper, extending to the back seats...what a nice "convertible" that would be, ha ha!

jc888888888

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat eco boost, Mustang Mach E , Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well ,I have had them on 3 cars ... which I have owned about 12 years across the 3 vehicles (they came with the cars when I bought them ,I guarantee you they have not been opened 10 times:) .Of course that is just me and hot Florida with the AC always on .

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

On many vehicles, a moonroof reduces headroom enough that I cannot comfortably sit in it. Not true for the Maverick - I still had plenty of headroom when I drove a Maverick with the moonroof package. Thus I would not disqualify a Maverick purchase just because it had a moonroof.

But I would not be willing to pay extra for the moonroof, either. I just don't fine I use one often enough to justify that. From about May through October, it's too hot to have it actually open, and even with the glass closed the Texas heat will bake you in short order. And from about December through March, it's probably too cold to have it open. That leaves a couple of months when MAYBE you could use it part of the time. Just not enough to be worth paying for it, in my view...

But if you want one, I would encourage you about the maintenance side of things... With just an occasional application of rubber seal lubricant/sealant, and a bit of attention to keeping the drain area clear of debris, you will likely have very little trouble with leaks (whether air or water). And the motors and switches these days are pretty darn reliable. I've had zero issues with ANY of the mechanical components of the several moonroofs I've owned since 1996.
I have had a moonroof on several of my past cars .. going back to the 70s... Never did any maintenance and never had any problems or leaks. I even owned a car that had a hand cranked moonroof. No issues on that car except for a loose seal that I suspect may have been caused by "someone" crawling through it a few times. That "someone" was a lot skinnier in those days.

IdahoDirtFarmer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you plan on trading it in in a few years, I'd go for it. I plan to keep mine till it completely falls apart so I would never get one on purpose. Later on they're a constant source of trouble. I despise sunroofs with a passion.

Sponsored

JaxMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If its available on the vehicle that I am purchasing then I will always choose it. I live where we have several months of nice 65-80 degree weather and I love to open all the windows and moonroof and enjoy all the fresh air.

kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you're debating getting it, just do it. Simple as that.

badger_biker

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordering Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2024 Lariat on order without the moonroof and am really conflicted about it. I've loved them for venting on my other vehicles even though I usually only crack the shade and tilt up the glass. I just couldn't justify the extra $900 plus for it.

My question is how much venting do you get with just the rear slide window open and how quiet is it? Since the Lariat comes standard with the power rear slider I'm hoping that will suffice instead of the roof vent.

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm really going back and forth on this option. I pretty much have everything else, but the Maverick that was on the lot had a moonroof and it got me thinking. What are some pros and cons??? Thanks
Get it. Im glad I did

DryFlyGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayenne
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2024 Lariat on order without the moonroof and am really conflicted about it. I've loved them for venting on my other vehicles even though I usually only crack the shade and tilt up the glass. I just couldn't justify the extra $900 plus for it.

My question is how much venting do you get with just the rear slide window open and how quiet is it? Since the Lariat comes standard with the power rear slider I'm hoping that will suffice instead of the roof vent.
I have a lariat with the roof. I open that and control air flow with the power rear sliding window. Would not have it any other way.

Sponsored

RonR1959

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I purchased a 2022 hybrid Lariat with a moonroof in Oct. 22. It was someone else's order that they canceled, and I was lucky enough to get. This is my first vehicle with a moonroof. I'm 64, and never, ever considered buying a vehicle with a moonroof.
It took me time to get used to it, but I really like it! I live in Florida, so there aren't too many days I can actually enjoy having it open, except early mornings or evenings. I like the sliding headliner opening, as I often keep that open for extra sunlight. I like the option of the moonroof's dual action of either sliding back or having the backside raised up a few inches.
I don't have anything negative to say about the moonroof.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To answer your question about noise from the rear slider - it's no worse than having any other window open and probably less disruptive than having a door window open, but it doesn't provide that much ventilation on it's own. You will need to open another window for air flow.

That said, if you have dogs they will love sticking their fuzzy snoots out of it.

Mox4615

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sunroof tilted open with the back glass open on a 65 degree day feels incredible. I’m very happy I ordered that with that option

badger_biker

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordering Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To answer your question about noise from the rear slider - it's no worse than having any other window open and probably less disruptive than having a door window open, but it doesn't provide that much ventilation on it's own. You will need to open another window for air flow.

That said, if you have dogs they will love sticking their fuzzy snoots out of it.
With my other vehicles popping the sun roof up would suck air through the front vents. Not something you feel a lot but just a nice venting flow. That’s what I’m wondering if I’d get on the Mav with just the rear slider open?

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I purchased a 2022 hybrid Lariat with a moonroof in Oct. 22. It was someone else's order that they canceled, and I was lucky enough to get. This is my first vehicle with a moonroof. I'm 64, and never, ever considered buying a vehicle with a moonroof.
It took me time to get used to it, but I really like it! I live in Florida, so there aren't too many days I can actually enjoy having it open, except early mornings or evenings. I like the sliding headliner opening, as I often keep that open for extra sunlight. I like the option of the moonroof's dual action of either sliding back or having the backside raised up a few inches.
I don't have anything negative to say about the moonroof.
This also is my first car with a moon/sun roof. I like it for exactly the same reasons you do! I'm 66 and I feel like I'm 30 something with the roof open!
Sponsored