Sponsored

Timing belt or chain in Maverick hybrid engine?

jts047

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Does anyone know if the hybrid engine has a timing belt or timing chain?
Sponsored

bwiese

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RAM 1500 quad cab V6; 2022 MavXL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How long (for normal driving conditions) do you go before you need a timing chain replacement?

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
How long (for normal driving conditions) do you go before you need a timing chain replacement?

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA
The answer presently is “lifetime”

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA
Timing chains normally don’t break and seldom wear out. On rare occasions an engine with many, many miles the chain might start to stretch; this would change the timing, thus the performance, which is a heads up that the chain needs attention.

Sponsored

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Timing chains normally don’t break and seldom wear out. On rare occasions an engine with many, many miles the chain might start to stretch; this would change the timing, thus the performance, which is a heads up that the chain needs attention.
True, but all modern engines have chain tensioners that can accommodate stretch over the lifetime of the engine. Also, chains don't actually "stretch." Instead the pins/bushings wear and the additional slop results in the chains becoming longer. This is the wear mechanism in motorcycle and bicycle drive chains which see a lot of road grime. An engine chain isn't exposed to all that muck and consequently sees much less "chain stretch."

Joe Rambo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai SF
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Salesman told me it was a belt, but he asked someone else who may or may not have been guessing. I’m glad to see here that it’s possibly a chain

Falcon first

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, BMW M235 coupe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
BMW had a major problem with timing chain guides on a discontinued N20 engine. A plastic chain guide fit around the chain I guess to keep it from hitting anything once it stretched. Problem was the guide would fall apart (plastic) in some engines and if you caught it in time $1400+ to fix, if you didn’t catch it in time $15,000+ for a new engine. Many manufacturers use a plastic chain guide so its not isolated. BMW settled a class action lawsuit and I know some other mfgs had some issues. Best way to prevent it supposedly was changing the oil. Of course making one that didn’t fall apart would have helped.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
BMW had a major problem with timing chain guides on a discontinued N20 engine. A plastic chain guide fit around the chain I guess to keep it from hitting anything once it stretched. Problem was the guide would fall apart (plastic) in some engines and if you caught it in time $1400+ to fix, if you didn’t catch it in time $15,000+ for a new engine. Many manufacturers use a plastic chain guide so its not isolated. BMW settled a class action lawsuit and I know some other mfgs had some issues. Best way to prevent it supposedly was changing the oil. Of course making one that didn’t fall apart would have helped.
Interesting. They had the same problem with motorcycles in the K1200/K1300 family. They fixed it before my model year.

Sponsored

Falcon first

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, BMW M235 coupe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We had a 2013 BMW X1 that was going to hit 7 years old so we traded it because it had the N20 engine. Thing is they figured it out in about 2014 but had used the engine in a couple hundred thousand engines so they extended the warranty.

bwiese

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RAM 1500 quad cab V6; 2022 MavXL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last time I checked, it was a good idea to change timing chains on Ford V8s (4.6L or 5L) around 125K just-in-case though I am sure many went well above 200K OK.

Does anyone know if the 2.5L hybrid engine is "noninterference"? (i.e. no risk of piston ever touching valves?

Bill

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Last time I checked, it was a good idea to change timing chains on Ford V8s (4.6L or 5L) around 125K just-in-case though I am sure many went well above 200K OK.

Does anyone know if the 2.5L hybrid engine is "noninterference"? (i.e. no risk of piston ever touching valves?

Bill
A loose timing chain makes distinct noise long before it snaps. Lift the hood with a warm engine at idle, can't miss it.
My 2000 4.2 V6 was tight at 235k. My bud's 5.0 Mustang had like over 350k before before the crankcase exploded. The timing chain was fine. He put that car through hell.
I would guess the 2.5 is interference.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order

Bill
It is a 2.5 L Duratec iVCT Atkinson cycle I4 hybrid so it is variable cycle and interference

JohnnyBravo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
225,000 mi. Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
they dont wear out.... unless you have a big block mustang....then they do get stretched a tiny bit ;)
Sponsored