First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As years go on technology gets cheaper. There was a time an automatic trans was a hefty upcharge. Now a manual is. Ford is now producing this system in house and soon the batteries in house as well. I think we are just seeing hybrid systems become cheaper as they become increasingly more mainstream.
Sponsored

‘80F100

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 F100, 1996 Ram 2500, 2001 Ranger, 2014 Edge
It’s both the fact that they are getting cheaper and the fact that automakers are being pushed to hybrid and full electric vehicles. Also a base hybrid is a huge selling point.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Marketing too. Ford is pushing hard on the Hybrid/EV front to make them thought of as the "green" car maker.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s both the fact that they are getting cheaper and the fact that automakers are being pushed to hybrid and full electric vehicles. Also a base hybrid is a huge selling point.
Ford Maverick Theory on why the hybrid is now the base model Change My Mind 25092021064827

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As years go on technology gets cheaper. There was a time an automatic trans was a hefty upcharge. Now a manual is. Ford is now producing this system in house and soon the batteries in house as well. I think we are just seeing hybrid systems become cheaper as they become increasingly more mainstream.
Are technology filled cars cheaper, or are gas cars more expensive? 🤔

Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Less moving parts,Hybrid is cheaper to build.
come again? Last I checked the battery is a $5k part, almost 25% of the vehicles cost. The hybrid still has an engine and associated parts. it also eschews engine belt drive powered aux systems (AC, pumps etc) for systems that are powered on the HVB, those aux systems tend to be twice what the engine belt powered components are.

I doubt Ford is making much if any money from the sale of a XL or XLT hybrid. What a sale is doing is letting them reduce the carbon credits they need to buy while also stealing customers from other brands, in the hope that those customers move on to more expensive Ford products.

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
come again? Last I checked the battery is a $5k part, almost 25% of the vehicles cost. The hybrid still has an engine and associated parts. it also eschews engine belt drive powered aux systems (AC, pumps etc) for systems that are powered on the HVB, those aux systems tend to be twice what the engine belt powered components are.

I doubt Ford is making much if any money from the sale of a XL or XLT hybrid. What a sale is doing is letting them reduce the carbon credits they need to buy while also stealing customers from other brands, in the hope that those customers move on to more expensive Ford products.
I just saw a guy buy a replacement batt for a prius for 1200.00

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just saw a guy buy a replacement batt for a prius for 1200.00
Good for him! you should look at escape/fusion battery replacements if you want a better idea of the street cost. Prius batteries are using air cooled systems that are a lot cheaper to work with. Comparing prius with the C2 hybrid architecture batteries from ford is not an apples to apples comparison.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

No way the Maverick's battery is $5k. I'd imagine at the scale they are producing them they're costing them under $500. This isn't 2005.

I do agree that Ford had small margins on the hybrid.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No way the Maverick's battery is $5k. I'd imagine at the scale they are producing them they're costing them under $500. This isn't 2005.

I do agree that Ford had small margins on the hybrid.
Check out the weber auto breakdown, those batteries are not just a bunch of cells packed together, the control electronics alone are pricey.

$5k is their retail cost. People forget to factor in R&D, assembly and associated costs when figuring the value of an item, they just look at a BOM price breakdown and assume thats all it should cost.

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Check out the weber auto breakdown, those batteries are not just a bunch of cells packed together, the control electronics alone are pricey.

$5k is their retail cost. People forget to factor in R&D, assembly and associated costs when figuring the value of an item, they just look at a BOM price breakdown and assume thats all it should cost.
R&D on an existing pack? Example, you can find the 8 year old batt replacements for around 1200-2000 bucks. So in 8 years....yeah....

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Marketing too. Ford is pushing hard on the Hybrid/EV front to make them thought of as the "green" car maker.
It is this simple! Today Tesla is worth more than Ford on the stock market….Ford sees it and they’r trying to be like Tesla.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Do you think Ford is paying retail? The cost for most replacement components is heavily inflated compared to what the manufacturer pays.
Sponsored