Sponsored

The ultimate 2.0 Maverick would be 5 speed!

Xjeepguy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ALTO BLUE XLT 4K FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Never thought id go there, but having drivin a stick most of the last 30yrs (have had automatics for the last 3 years) after more than 20,000 miles in less than a year with my 2.0 fx4 4k , it handles so good, and is so quick I think it would be a blast as a 5 speed. As it stands its so responsive that I cant really give it shi& unless Im merging onto a highway, i can never really really! drive it in suburbia whithout having to let off the throttle almost straight away. As a 5 speed, i would at least be able to walk it through a few gears. Before my Mav I had a 2019 Wrangler Automatic Trans and found it to be the ultimate off road machine in low gear so smart and easy at crawling over anything with know stress, but the Maverick is a really nice road machine , I wonder what it would be like as a 5 speed.
Sponsored

Stock411

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick especially the hybrid was targeted to city folks and city driving and manual transmission do not match. It would be cool to see it as an option. Honda did this with their Insight Hybrid sedan you can option a manual transmission with the hybrid system.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well isn't the Ford Kuga (our Escape) sold with a manual transmission? That would mean that technically it would be possible....

Deleted member 14823

I don't think manuals are coming back, but you can be sure I'd have ordered one if it was available. Most of my cars have been stick shift. It's hard for me to explain why I think it's better, but luckily there have been many articles written about it that do a good job describing the difference.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm satisfied with my Hybrid Maverick and enjoying the fuel economy, especially with the fuel prices where they have been this year. That said, this is my first non-manual and I dearly miss manually shifting, even in the city. I would give up the Hybrid without hesitation for a 2.0 MT-6, even though I'm not typically a turbo fan.

Sponsored

Landric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Landric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT AWD FX4 Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I absolutely would have ordered a Maverick with a manual if it was available. I've been forced into automatics with my last few vehicles because manual transmissions are basically unavailable in new vehicles. Some models claim to offer them, but good luck finding one.

It would be great to see the Maverick offered in a regular cab with a longer bed and a manual. I know it is just a dream, but a guy can dream.

TexasHybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Mustang GT- Silver, '15 Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Limiting this to the Americas ...

I've mostly bought a manual when available and live in an urban area. That choice has been removed from me.

Manual Transmissions in US and Canada are mostly dead. The same model in Mexico, Central and South America are commonly available with a manual.

I really dislike the automatic transmission with multiple solenoids, clutch plates multiple planetary gear sets; but that is what we get. Stick an electric motor in the middle of it (F-150 Hybrid, Jeep Hybrid) and that gives me pause for the complexity and cost. May still end up with one at some point.

The eCVT in the small Hybrid Crossovers and Maverick intrigue me. No moving clutch, no torque convertor, no shifting gears. Looks solid and after studying the method and proven effectiveness of the eCVT with the Motor Generators and Atkinson Cycle Engine, I am sold. Won't be a beast but should give awesome years of service.

I've said it before, there is no other vehicle presently offered out there like a Hybrid Maverick.

Note: Am not knocking the EB Maverick, my writings are focused on the Hybrid offering.

MRickDetroit

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That would be interesting, but yeah hard to find a manual these days in the USA! This post brought back some fond memories of my dads old truck and learning to drive a manual, 3 speed on the column haha. Now what if they added a bench seat?

Ford Maverick The ultimate 2.0 Maverick would be 5 speed! Screenshot 2022-10-25 092052

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd go with a bench seat if available. And put the shifter back where it belongs.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well isn't the Ford Kuga (our Escape) sold with a manual transmission? That would mean that technically it would be possible....
I'm going to guess it will never be offered with a manual. This vehicle was developed with cost as a factor above all other considerations. A manual transmission would probably require a different floor pan stamping to accommodate the shifter, etc and that adds complexity and would require additional crash testing and government certification for sale in the US in addition to Ford's own R&D to add a second drivetrain option and test how it works in the Maverick specific chassis. Just because it works in a model with a shared platform doesn't mean that Ford would just drop it in the Maverick untested. Despite that info, this all probably sounds pretty easy but can add tens of millions of dollars to the development costs for the Maverick when profit margins are already pretty slim on the model.

Sponsored

tellyouwhat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Maverick Hybrid Alto Lux BAP 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That would be interesting, but yeah hard to find a manual these days in the USA! This post brought back some fond memories of my dads old truck and learning to drive a manual, 3 speed on the column haha. Now what if they added a bench seat?

Screenshot 2022-10-25 092052.png
Nice, took it mad old school with the three on the tree. I learned to drive using stick shift so got some love for it but doubt I would get manual mav if offered. guess I’m lazy now.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

6 speed would be OK, but I'd rather just stick with the E-CVT since mine will see 95% city type driving.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I swore that I'd never buy a vehicle with an automatic transmission. Conventional automatic transmissions are always hunting, they suck on hills, and aren't fun to drive.

So, I was pretty nervous about buying a hybrid with an automatic transmission--with a dreaded CVT at that! But here's the deal: the eCVT is one of the most under-appreciated features of my truck. It basically drives like an EV. Unlike the stupid hunting of a conventional automatic, or the painful rubber-banding of a conventional CVT, the eCVT is always in the right gear. Power when I need it, and regenerative braking when descending keeps my foot off of the brakes. Amazing tech.

I pondered buying an ecoboost Maverick, but I'm glad that I didn't--because it has an old-style automatic. If I had to buy a conventional truck, I'd buy a Tacoma with a stick. But, while I never thought that I'd say it, I don't want a manual transmission any more. Between the smooth performance of my EV, and the equally awesome responsiveness of my Maverick's eCVT, I really don't miss rowing my own gears.

Last edited:

TexasHybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Mustang GT- Silver, '15 Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Manuals are dead . Manufacturers don't want to build or support them.
Disagree; Manuals are dead in the US and Canada. Effectivally purchasing a daily driver vehicle in the US and Canada as a manual is a very short list. I do not count sports cars as daily drivers. (Nissan Z)

Got to ride in a manual shift Ranger in Mexico, built in Brazil IIRC. Most of the other vehicles I've ridden in in Venezuela and Brazil were manual versions of US Models.

The engineering is done and tested if the vehicle has it offered elsewhere.

There are many factors to consider, mostly environmental compliance and will enough people buy it. I think the latter is the main driving issue.

I don't know about the Maverick being a manual in those regions. The Hybrid will obviously be an automatic.
Sponsored