would a ecoboost be better?

matt2636

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Going through some of the threads and looking a MPGs I'm wondering if a hybrid would be the best option for me with my driving conditions. I mostly do highway driving at 55-60 with some in town driving. I live out in the country so just to get into town I'm doing highway driving. just looking at the EPA numbers both engine options are about the same for highway. would I benefit MPG wise with the hybrid over the ecoboost that much?
Sponsored

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
I'm assuming that a lot of people who get dismal mpg with the ecoboost live in hilly or mountainous area. In those scenarios it's very tough to stay out of boost which is the real MPG killer on the ecoboost. If you don't need AWD or thie higher towing capacity I would absolutely wait to order a hybrid or purchase one off the lot if you can. I have driven both and the Hybrid's power numbers don't do it justice, it felt way more powerful than 190hp would leave you to believe.

Nomadikhan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 Daytona Shelby Z, 07 Yaris, 22 Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Being out in the country, do you intend to carry or haul anything? Use a trailer? Or have a dedicated farm vehicle instead? Eco being the better for tow/haul over all is where I'm going.

Nomadikhan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 Daytona Shelby Z, 07 Yaris, 22 Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a separate truck for all of that.
I'd go for the hybird in that case, in my opinion. Keeping my awd eco at 65-68 going to and from work 5 days a week with some mild town driving, I get (as of this current tank) 407 miles to the tank, or something just over 27mpg. You'd be in the 500+ per tank range easy.

Sponsored

MustangMech

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you have a truck for work, buy a Bronco Sport with the 1.5l better average mpg than 2.0l and nicer interior.

baldboy

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm assuming that a lot of people who get dismal mpg with the ecoboost live in hilly or mountainous area. In those scenarios it's very tough to stay out of boost which is the real MPG killer on the ecoboost. If you don't need AWD or thie higher towing capacity I would absolutely wait to order a hybrid or purchase one off the lot if you can. I have driven both and the Hybrid's power numbers don't do it justice, it felt way more powerful than 190hp would leave you to believe.
I agree,i own a hybrid and at hyw driving speed of 60 mph you can still average about 25% electric miles in witch these are free miles.Tes i would go with the hybrid by all means.

OP
OP

matt2636

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I agree,i own a hybrid and at hyw driving speed of 60 mph you can still average about 25% electric miles in witch these are free miles.Tes i would go with the hybrid by all means.
I thought the electric kicked off after a certain speed or load?

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just wrote this in another thread so while it’s relevant I’ll just copy and paste:

In the hybrid it’s a constant transition from electric motor on battery power to ICE at any speed really (within reason, like below 90). If you accelerate from zero at a normal pedal input, it’ll kick on the ICE to access the majority of the drivetrain’s power, unless you accelerate rather slowly. You have to do that pretty deliberately — and some people do indeed do that to squeeze more mpg’s. I do it when I enter my subdivision, but usually not in normal traffic unless no one is around and I’m feeling pretty chill, or its a 25mph street and there’s a lawful flavor in the air. Like literally any more than 5%-10% of pedal input will draw up the ICE. The battery could output more power but it is a small battery so they’ve engineered the input range for acceleration to be very small for battery-only power. I’m guessing part of the decisions for battery output are considerations for optimal long-term capacity.

The real trick is that as soon as you get up to speed you can basically mostly coast on minimal use of ICE, and instead do small accelerations and adjustments with battery power. I’m not even talking about hypermiling that’s just how the hybrid works normally unless you’re an aggressive driver. But it’s a constant dance of using at least a little a bit of gas here and there no matter what speed since traffic and hills and the environment is rarely at optimal conditions for fuel efficiency. So just don’t think about it like there’s an EV mode up to a certain mph, it’s more interwoven around acceleration input, and also the ICE has to keep the battery topped up consistently.

Last edited:
Sponsored

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If I had the choice I would go with the Hybrid over the Ecoboost just for the simplicity of the FWD over the AWD and the hybrid probably being the more reliable powertrain of the two. But I came late to the game and if I ordered a hybrid my chances of getting it this year would be even worse than they are now of getting my ecoboost. The Hybrid is no slouch on power. 0-60 mph in the low to mid 7's is pretty good.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Going through some of the threads and looking a MPGs I'm wondering if a hybrid would be the best option for me with my driving conditions. I mostly do highway driving at 55-60 with some in town driving. I live out in the country so just to get into town I'm doing highway driving. just looking at the EPA numbers both engine options are about the same for highway. would I benefit MPG wise with the hybrid over the ecoboost that much?
Hybrid owners and testers are reporting higher than epa highway economy. Expect to get 30mpg at best for ecoboost highway and 37 for hybrid.
Having said that, 7 miles per gallon is huge when you think of the efficiency gain, as 7 miles is a long distance to travel farther on the same gallon.

At the end of the day, AWD or 4K towing should be your deciding factor on whether to upgrade to ecoboost or not.

If all about best fuel economy, the hybrid will travel much farther per tank regardless of your driving type/location.

baldboy

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
yes it will kick off under loads such as hills,But if you can learn to drive it at 0 to 10% range it will clime a 1/3 to 1/2 the hill and also once you learn to drive it you can maintain hwy speeds up to 55 to 60 miles per hr by learnining to ease off throttle going down slops and hills and letting it cost by doing this coasting it creates a drag while you are coasting this makes your charging range gauge to drop down from the 0 to 10% white range to the "Green" range" below the white "0" range while you are coasting or apply the brake this recharges your "Hybrid"-Batteries the more you can do this the more range you get when it is in hybrid mode and this can be anywhere from 0 to 55 mph if you teach your self how to drive it.This vehicle is exceptional.I have 1,826 mi on my truck it has had 3/tanks of fuel at 13/gal at eatch fill up thats 39/gal of fuel and i still have 65 miles to goto empty on my 3rd tank.thats 46.8205128-per gal that is awesome! bald boy out

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
that 1
If you have a truck for work, buy a Bronco Sport with the 1.5l better average mpg than 2.0l and nicer interior.
The 1.5L Dragon engine is a 3 cylinder (why?) and has "cylinder deactivation" standard on it. I wouldn't be caught dead owning 1 of those.
Sponsored