Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
  • Banned
I heard that the bed lights automatically come on when you drop the tailgate. Can anybody verify this? Is there a pin switch in the tailgate jamb? If so that's the perfect power take off for me to wire up under bed rail LED strip lights for the bed. Can anybody verify for me please

Thanks.
Matt
Sponsored

Hammer

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 VW GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I heard that the bed lights automatically come on when you drop the tailgate. Can anybody verify this? Is there a pin switch in the tailgate jamb? If so that's the perfect power take off for me to wire up under bed rail LED strip lights for the bed. Can anybody verify for me please

Thanks.
Matt
I just checked and confirmed the bed lights do not come on when the tailgate drops. I checked with the engine running and engine off and the light does not turn on.

2517X

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks.
Matt
Ford has a hot wire running back to the tailgate with a connector on it, and they even put a wire in the glove box with a connector on it to plug into that wire. You'll be all set.

No the light doesn't come on when you drop the tailgate.

OP
OP
Barracuda340

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
  • Banned
Ford has a hot wire running back to the tailgate with a connector on it, and they even put a wire in the glove box with a connector on it to plug into that wire. You'll be all set.

No the light doesn't come on when you drop the tailgate.
Oh I do know about the wiring pigtail. I was wanting to hook up to a light switch for the bed lights if it was already there instead of installing my own switch.

2517X

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh I do know about the wiring pigtail. I was wanting to hook up to a light switch for the bed lights if it was already there instead of installing my own switch.
Oh, that makes sense.

Sponsored

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks.
Matt
XL hybrid here. No wired lights in bed. (Quite happy with the cobbled together solution for bed lighting as I also have a tonneau cover.)

The cargo lights above the rear window do, however, come on when it is dark out and the tailgate is opened, whether or no the engine is running. They self- shut off after a certain duration.

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I plan on making my bed lights work with a mercury switch. The switch I got is from a patio heater so if the heater falls over the switch opens. So I’m going to place it in the tailgate so when the tailgate is flat it will close the switch turning on the lights. Then have a switch on the side so if I don’t want them to come on I simply leave the switch in the off position and if I want them to work with the tailgate just leave the switch on. This is the switch it’s very small like maybe the size of a marble so I think I will be able to make a bracket off of the handle inside the tailgate somewhere real easy.
Ford Maverick Tailgate light switch FB95F6C9-F270-4C7F-B85A-0A6C1C09765A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used 3 Packs 12 V 24 V PIR Sensor... And MustWin 2PCS 60 Inch Bed Light... They turn on for a customized amount of time 90 minutes after I turn the key and since I have tunneau cover they don't turn on while the tailgate is closed

Sponsored
OP
OP
Barracuda340

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I plan on making my bed lights work with a mercury switch. The switch I got is from a patio heater so if the heater falls over the switch opens. So I’m going to place it in the tailgate so when the tailgate is flat it will close the switch turning on the lights. Then have a switch on the side so if I don’t want them to come on I simply leave the switch in the off position and if I want them to work with the tailgate just leave the switch on. This is the switch it’s very small like maybe the size of a marble so I think I will be able to make a bracket off of the handle inside the tailgate somewhere real easy.
FB95F6C9-F270-4C7F-B85A-0A6C1C09765A.jpeg
Yes a mercury switch. A simple bulletproof design that never wears out. Thank you for the idea. I do believe I will be going that route as well. I will route the wires out of the tailgate alongside the tailgate lock wires. I also planned on having a seperate on/off switch in case I didnt want them lit up. I will look at different ones till I find which one I feel will work the best for me. Heres a sample of one I think may work for me.

Ford Maverick Tailgate light switch Screenshot_20220522-052334_eBay

Last edited:

VetteNZMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Trying to do this setup with the mercury switch. Have the switch in hand and all the other parts to add lights to my bed. Question, how are you / did you mount the switch to the tailgate?? Thanks

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Theres a switch by the headlight switch that activates it. You can also press unlock on the key fob to turn it on for a while
Sponsored