MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had already stepped my order up to a Lariat Lux prior to experiencing this so I'll get the B&O, but a friend owns a 2020 Escape with base audio and it is painful. Like stabbing me in the ear would have been less painful.

I am not an audiophile, but I haven't owned a car without a name brand "premium" audio system in a long time - some by choice, some by chance, but not a deal breaker. If the base audio in the Maverick is anything like it is in the Escape, this would be a deal breaker.

I'd like to add not to get hung up on the brand name. Most of today's premium systems that aren't Bose or Burmester are owned by Harman, which is a subsidiary of Samsung. B&O? Harman. Infinity? Harman. JBL? Harman. Lexicon? Harman. Revel? Harman. Mark Levinson? Harman. harman/kardon? Obviously.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@Headdead this is troublesome.
I invite others to share their impression on the standard audio in the xl and xlt trims.

The maverick has unconventional speaker locations. They are not in the front\rear doors but above so that you have room for those water bottle. They are very high.T

your comment is not a good news I am afraid
He said water bottle- everyone drink! Seriously though…I have never worried too much about sound quality (most of my music was not recorded under optimal production circumstances) but this comment has me wondering if location is an unsolvable issue? Anyway- I have only built one stereo system and all I built it for was loud (got me a ticket- it worked). Hopefully someone will post as we get the hybrids ways to improve the sound without taxing the system.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is it just me or does it seem really easy to work on the audio for the hybrid Maverick?

• The amp for the radio is behind the back seat.
  • The 12v battery is under the back seat.
I haven't done a sound system in a while, but I'm considering doing the A kicker key install myself. Seems like I could easily install today myself with very little fuss. Those things have been getting great reviews. I'm big on it integrating and want to keep stock touchscreen. Then if I decide to get different speakers, the amp might actually be able to push them. 🤷‍♂️

We'll see... Honestly, my primary usage is podcasts/audible. I'm betting the audio is good enough for that.

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

He said water bottle- everyone drink! Seriously though…I have never worried too much about sound quality (most of my music was not recorded under optimal production circumstances) but this comment has me wondering if location is an unsolvable issue? Anyway- I have only built one stereo system and all I built it for was loud (got me a ticket- it worked). Hopefully someone will post as we get the hybrids ways to improve the sound without taxing the system.
I wouldn't think the location is the problem...I am pretty sure that on the base 6 speaker system, the mid woofers are in the door, but the tweeters are up on the dash near the window. While I might prefer a sail panel location, I don't think it's irredeemable. If it sounds junk, probably the reason is trash speakers.

I, too, am concerned about over taxing the hybrid system (this will be my first hybrid)... back in the day we could just upgrade battery, alternator, and throw a capacitor on there if we were doing dumb things like spl burps... but I keep reading that with a hybrid it's best practice to stay under 30A of draw. Fortunately, you can get great sounding, full range class d amplification these days from a variety of brands (including the kicker key series referenced above). If the base system is indeed garbage to my ear as well, I will likely install an audio control line out converter into a class d amp into new components in front (unsure if I will pursue any rear fill, given reporting on here that the speaker placement can be problematic for back seat passengers). Also undecided on sub or no sub. Probably will do a self contained, powered mini unit for under seat (but still must check that it won't obstruct under seat duct).

I'm confident you can get very listenable and even good audio in here for a reasonable cost.

Reactions: TCK

Sponsored

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
I’m no audio expert but I think the xlt speakers are much better than the ones in a 16 Forester.

PanchoBarrancas

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
¿Could someone take measurements of their rear speakers? I ordered a Lariat with no lux package (here in Mexico you only get XLT FWD or Lariat non lux AWD) and I plan to swap the speakers and add a Rockford Fosgate P300 8P sub behind the rear seats (took measurements at the dealer, it fits) but my ETA is first week of november. It would be nice to know the diameter of the rears.

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
Just to add to the confusion and how subjective this topic actually is, I think the base speakers in my wife's Mustang sound better than the Bose system in my Mazda. My wife was also an audio technician for a few years and she said she didn't notice enough of a difference when she test drove the Mustang in order to upgrade to the higher trim for better speakers. Take that for what you will.

So will you notice a difference if you upgrade the speakers? Perhaps. But the fact that the Lariat has an additional two speakers will make more of a difference than the quality of the speakers themselves in my opinion.

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m no audio expert but I think the xlt speakers are much better than the ones in a 16 Forester.
I think my XLT sounds pretty good, better than my Sonic with a small all in one sub!

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The standard speakers are not very good. Check out YouTube on changing out speakers for the Escape
Hot glue and diagonal cutters?

No thanks. I'll wait until Crutchfield has plug and play options.

Sponsored

Boardpusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
I’m a FOH (front of house) engineer for a regional sound company. The best I can describe the stock speakers is “dull”. Not much below 100hz and above 8k. They seemed tuned to voice, which isnt that bad if you listen to talk radio or audible. I’ve only recently received my truck (10/15) and haven’t put any hi res audio through it yet, only Spotify, which is generally trash quality.

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT/Lariat.. Undecided still :O
I finally got to sit in a Maverick XLT in person, love everything about it, EXCEPT FOR THE SPEAKERS. Yikes.. those will be first to go when mine shows up! I think JBL Club will be a perfect budget upgrade for the fronts at least.

Sidepipes2001

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
XL audio is unsurprisingly worse than the Golf R (Fender) it replaced. No base and poor mid. Fortunately I don’t care because it’s a $24k truck 😊
its pretty bad. Mine gets so distorted. Not complaining, but dang they are going to get replaced.

donohfx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Incoming 2022 Shadow Black Maverick XLT/FX5/4K/Lux
I had already stepped my order up to a Lariat Lux prior to experiencing this so I'll get the B&O, but a friend owns a 2020 Escape with base audio and it is painful. Like stabbing me in the ear would have been less painful.

I am not an audiophile, but I haven't owned a car without a name brand "premium" audio system in a long time - some by choice, some by chance, but not a deal breaker. If the base audio in the Maverick is anything like it is in the Escape, this would be a deal breaker.

I'd like to add not to get hung up on the brand name. Most of today's premium systems that aren't Bose or Burmester are owned by Harman, which is a subsidiary of Samsung. B&O? Harman. Infinity? Harman. JBL? Harman. Lexicon? Harman. Revel? Harman. Mark Levinson? Harman. harman/kardon? Obviously.
Harman? Samsung.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid