Sponsored

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
It's hard to tell due to the camo, but the actual license plate holder might be part of the tail gate, with the light coming from the protrusion that seems to be mid-gate. There is definitely something there.

Clearly, the right of center placement is not the spot, the plate isn't even sitting straight. Nor would it be visible with a trailer attached.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
The license plate should not matter as you will never see it if you are driving (ha, ha, ha),
A friend of my Dad's once bought an AMC Matador... for that exact reason! He said that it was so ugly that if he was driving it, he wouldn't have to look at it! 😂🤣😆
Ford Maverick Spotted: Maverick vs Ranger size comparison 1617050245995

Last edited:

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I have a feeling the off-road trim/package (whether that's Badlands, Timberline, or Badlands) will get the BS Badlands type of clearance, which just so happens to be basically the exact same as a FX4 Ranger.
I serious hope you're right. NOT happy with the ground clearance at all! 😑

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
It's hard to tell due to the camo, but the actual license plate holder might be part of the tail gate, with the light coming from the protrusion that seems to be mid-gate. There is definitely something there.

Clearly, the right of center placement is not the spot, the plate isn't even sitting straight. Nor would it be visible with a trailer attached.
Most of the time you can't see the license plate when a trailer's attached to any truck.. Can't see it on my Honda Ridgeline..

Basil

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the series of pics from early March there’s a good shot of the bumper without a license plate and you can see what appear to be two upper screws on the right side. Also what looks like two small squares that are further spaced. I think the tailgate is the same that was leaked long ago and would have no room for a license plate

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I mean, I'm not sure what you expected from a truck smaller than the Ranger. The old Rangers maxed out at 8" of ground clearance from my very cursory research. And even less the farther back you go. And I would expect the Mav to be pretty close to that looking at the pictures here. Heck, even new Escapes and non-Badlands Bronco Sports have almost the same clearance as an old Ranger (7.8" vs 8.0").

And as I said before, the beauty of not having a solid rear axle means the diff is no longer hanging way down. Looking at the pictures it seems like the lowest hanging stuff under the Mav is pretty close to the same height off the ground as the rear diff on the Ranger. I would expect somewhere in the 8" range to be clearance for the base, and maybe bump it up to to the 8.8-8.9" for the off-road trim/package.
A little Subaru Crosstrek has 8.7" of ground clearance. I would at least expect that.

"With 8.7 inches of ground clearance and available X-MODE®with Hill Descent Control – which electronically optimizes the engine, transmission, and other systems for increased traction in slippery conditions – Crosstrek provides peace of mind on almost any road. A dual-function X-MODE with settings for snow, dirt, and mud is also available."

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/crosstrek/features.html

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A little Subaru Crosstrek has 8.7" of ground clearance. I would at least expect that.

"With 8.7 inches of ground clearance and available X-MODE®with Hill Descent Control – which electronically optimizes the engine, transmission, and other systems for increased traction in slippery conditions – Crosstrek provides peace of mind on almost any road. A dual-function X-MODE with settings for snow, dirt, and mud is also available."

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/crosstrek/features.html
Subarus have always had that 8.7” ground clearance in Outback, Forester and Crosstrek. You would be surprised how many SUVs don’t even come close to that. I’m guessing Maverick will have the same ground clearance with AWD as Escape and Bronco Sport, 7.9”

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Subarus have always had that 8.7” ground clearance in Outback, Forester and Crosstrek. You would be surprised how many SUVs don’t even come close to that. I’m guessing Maverick will have the same ground clearance with AWD as Escape and Bronco Sport, 7.9”
Yikes! 😳 I would hope the Timberline would best that!

Reactions: Doc

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yikes! 😳 I would hope the Timberline would best that!
I'm with you. I hope that the off-road trim is similar in clearance to the BS Badlands, and so with 30 in tires (which a Ford engineer told C&D the Badlands could handle stock), you'd end up with 9.25 in or so of clearance.

Sponsored

wolfhawk73

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford Ranger XLT Ext. Cab 4WD
It looks like all it needs is a leveling kit for the front and a slightly taller tire, and it would have the same basic stance as my '98 Ranger 4x4. At least I wouldn't have to have a stepladder to reach over the bed rails like on the new Rangers. Hmm...

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab
For over a decade, folks have been lamenting the loss of the original Ford Ranger, it's smaller size and footprint. Now, folks are bellyaching about license plate placement (btw, looks just fine to me as it makes room for the reciever hitch mounted in a higher position it would be with a more traditional center plate location) or that it looks small. Well, that's the whole point of this vehicle, no?

I believe the Crew Cab configuration will be it, cause to do a Super Cab configuration means tooling up a completely different uni-body structure. And I don't think Ford has the kind of capital to make that happen.

I pay mind to the major car magz and I have to say that this Maverick is getting very little airplay. It's even absent on Ford's website. In my eyes, this truck is going to be an absolute sales winner that it's going to siphon sales away from the Ranger as well as the GM Twins. I imagine Mary Barra in GM Corporate Headquarters is screaming at her subordinates why they did not have a counterpunch (S10?) to "head this Maverick off at the pass!"

Kudos to the Maverick Club for staying up on this important truck and I look forward to the site progressing with the truck once the aftermarket gets ahold of it!!

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was the one that said that. My opinion is the same as yours. The offset plate is strange, but it wouldn't turn me away.

-SG
Looks to me like the offset license plate is so the hitch can come straight out of mid bumper. That helps ground clearance and approach angle compared to an aftermarket hitch under the bumper

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
For over a decade, folks have been lamenting the loss of the original Ford Ranger, it's smaller size and footprint. Now, folks are bellyaching about license plate placement (btw, looks just fine to me as it makes room for the reciever hitch mounted in a higher position it would be with a more traditional center plate location) or that it looks small. Well, that's the whole point of this vehicle, no?

I believe the Crew Cab configuration will be it, cause to do a Super Cab configuration means tooling up a completely different uni-body structure. And I don't think Ford has the kind of capital to make that happen.

I pay mind to the major car magz and I have to say that this Maverick is getting very little airplay. It's even absent on Ford's website. In my eyes, this truck is going to be an absolute sales winner that it's going to siphon sales away from the Ranger as well as the GM Twins. I imagine Mary Barra in GM Corporate Headquarters is screaming at her subordinates why they did not have a counterpunch (S10?) to "head this Maverick off at the pass!"

Kudos to the Maverick Club for staying up on this important truck and I look forward to the site progressing with the truck once the aftermarket gets ahold of it!!
The Maverick isn’t the only thing Mary Barra should be screaming about... 😆

Ford Maverick Spotted: Maverick vs Ranger size comparison 7892AB50-EF5F-48A0-96B6-9ED9AA74D274

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dear Ford -- please make the Maverick's rear seat fold flat (either top down or bottom straight up)...

When I test-drove the new release Ranger (during their nation-wide tour), I asked the Ford marketing people why they didn't see that deficiency as a turn-off...
Sponsored