First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
July 9th, 2021 order here. The truck was finally built in September and arrived at the dealer last week, but it was delivered with the faulty side airbag. They can’t sell it to me until it’s fixed in “Q1” next year, and based on my experience, I envision it happening May at the earliest.

I have waited a little over 17 months now, and I just don’t know if I got another 6 months in me.The $2000 bridge car I got has performed admirably, but things are starting to break and I don’t know if I trust another winter with a car I have no desire to spend money on. A local dealer has a Civic Sport Hatchback arriving in two weeks which is cheaper, more my style, and probably significantly more reliable. Im quite tempted. with that said it would be stupid to get nothing out of this golden ticket I’ve been sitting on. It’s An XLT Lux hybrid with the copilot 360 package, splash guards, hood deflector, bed extender, and a few other bits. Very well equipped and a highly desirable build. As I said, I do want it and would probably prefer it over the civic long term.

so how realistic would flipping it be on my own and making a profit? I’d have to pay for it, dealer fees, title it, wait for the paperwork, pay interest on the loan, then sell it and pay taxes. So if I pay $28k for this truck, what would I realistically need to sell it for to at least make a profit (factoring all the work it is. I have to drive four hours to pick it up too and then sell it in a rural area). Are they still gonna be in insane demand come May?

i think I do want to wait. A small hybrid truck sounds fun, quirky, and immensely practical, but I’m worried about long term reliability and getting parts if something breaks. Also I just hate waiting after all this time and the Civic is pretty sweet. Any advice is really appreciated!
Sponsored

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrid will remain in demand thru 23.
What do you have to lose by enjoying the truck during warranty coverage? Ford had demonstrated reliable hybrid powertrain in the past, Maverick should be similar.

OrCoaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buy the Civic for the waiting time. Then buy the Ford. Compare to figure out which one suits your needs better. Flipping a truck like that will be a breeze come summertime when Ford says they are stopping 23s early to get 24s out as regular model change over time.

KSC Grey Ghost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello Barry , It sounds like I have the same Maverick as you believe me it's worth the wait . Ford is so screwed up it's unreal 👎💤😱 you think they would have learned all the screw UPs with the bronco but now they didn't. No they did The same damn thing to the Maverick both 22s and 23s orders they couldn't build and took way to many orders and the only one that got the shaft was the customer also they raise the prices of the trucks and only passed on part of the increase to the 22 to 23 rollover customer. Also another thing I don't understand my 22 has a recall on the airbags also but I've had it and been driving it for the last 7,000 miles to me that makes no sense at all I have mine yet they won't let you have yours 👎🤔🐎 getting back to the subject it is definitely worth the wait the truck is fantastic it's just that's all Fords screwed up and their quality control in a rush to get the Maverick out don't flip this fantastic little truck because of Ford screw UPs . Just remember ford does not give a damn about its customers it's just their stockholders and making money thats who they care about I wish so much I could have an hour with Mr Farley and tell how he has hurt and screwed customers over .I say about a year from now Toyota and many other automobile manufacturers will have smaller pickups out 👍😊😱🦄 and then the Maverick won't be a unicorn no more also look out karma you know it can be a bitch😱 Just my opinion 😱

RockHoundTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since it is a Hybrid, you definitely should not lose money. Will you make money is an entirely different question. Your best bet is to run your VIN through Carvana, Zoom, CarMax and any other used car website you can find (there are several regional ones). You can assume that what-ever number you get today will be your max. The bottom has dropped out of the used car market but in-demand models such as the Hybrid will still fetch a premium. As a conservative ball-park, expect your eventual offer to go down by maybe 2%-3% per month that you are waiting (currently the overall used car market is going down by 4%-5% per month). Also take into account that some places such as Carvana might not even be in business come Spring so that might put additional downward pressure on the "used" car market (since when Carvana goes bankrupt there will be less competition at the auctions). You are in a good spot. As for the folks that put in multiple September 2022 orders in order to flip them (especially Ecos), not so much.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jcj280

Jcj280

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since it is a Hybrid, you definitely should not lose money. Will you make money is an entirely different question. Your best bet is to run your VIN through Carvana, Zoom, CarMax and any other used car website you can find (there are several regional ones). You can assume that what-ever number you get today will be your max. The bottom has dropped out of the used car market but in-demand models such as the Hybrid will still fetch a premium. As a conservative ball-park, expect your eventual offer to go down by maybe 2%-3% per month that you are waiting (currently the overall used car market is going down by 4%-5% per month). Also take into account that some places such as Carvana might not even be in business come Spring so that might put additional downward pressure on the "used" car market (since when Carvana goes bankrupt there will be less competition at the auctions). You are in a good spot. As for the folks that put in multiple September 2022 orders in order to flip them (especially Ecos), not so much.
Well I went on carvana and they quoted me at $27,645, which is about $200 under sticker. I’m starting to think it’s probably just best to wait it out and enjoy the truck when it comes.

RockHoundTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well I went on carvana and they quoted me at $27,645, which is about $200 under sticker. I’m starting to think it’s probably just best to wait it out and enjoy the truck when it comes.
Yep. Definitely enjoy it. I placed my order on Oct 1, 2021 and never even got a VIN :-( Currently looking at maybe getting a Corolla Hybrid but even those are an 8+ month back-order.

If you are interested in selling, definitely try other dealers other than Carvana. They seem to be in a death-spiral and their have been several reports here that offers have dropped by $5k+ versus a month ago. However, actually a little surprised that they offered under-sticker.

SlowTime2011

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT EB LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also check smaller local dealers. The dealer I bought my used Maverick from is paying more than Carvana for used ones.

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
However, actually a little surprised that they offered under-sticker.
Used vehicle pricing key metric of auction prices have dropped for 5 straight months. Used vehicle retail prices have Not dropped to same degree. Dealers are paying less for vehicles, they are not selling used vehicles for less.

RockHoundTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Used vehicle pricing key metric of auction prices have dropped for 5 straight months. Used vehicle retail prices have Not dropped to same degree. Dealers are paying less for vehicles, they are not selling used vehicles for less.
You are generally correct in saying "retail prices have not dropped to the same degree.". However, you contradict yourself in your next sentence. Dealers are absolutely selling used vehicles for less (even though they don't want to). Floor plan lenders are forcing them to. For a good percentage of the used cars that have been sitting at dealers for over 90 days (i.e., likely purchased near the peak), the dealer will ultimately loose money on that vehicle (due to interest payments, prep-cost, over-head, lower retail pricing, etc.). Carvana (probably the worst offender) won't be the only company going out of business. I am sure a lot of used car dealerships are currently under-water on their inventory. I can't wait for a lot of the wholesale auction "no-sale" used vehicles (about 50% lately) to be forced to be "must sales".

Just did a quick search at dealerships around me and the first car that popped up (2020 Malibu) has dropped from $23,238 on 9/19 to $19,677 today. Saw lots of other vehicles with similar percentage drops. Not seeing anything that has gone up in price over the last 60+ days (other than "sales events" where they raised the price by $5k for a day so they can advertise "over $5k off" the following day). Retail used car prices are still extremely high, but falling quickly. Everything I have seen and read (Black Book, etc.) says retail prices are highly likely to continue to decline for at least the next 3-4 months. I REALLY need an extra vehicle at this point (wife's car bit the dust) but waiting for used prices to come down about another 20%. At some point in the near future I expect cash-flow will become more important than profit and some dealers will unload for what-ever they can get.

Sponsored

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There will be demand, but maybe not "demand from some dude with one on Craigslist" unless you have the ability to do financing. I doubt the offers people got from Carmax for above MSRP will be sustainable. Carvana just about put itself out of business doiung this.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't expect to flip it. If I were in your shoes I'd get the Civic. No point in waiting for the Maverick because you've waited this long. That's a sunk cost. But if you don't want to invest in repairs make the move. But if you really want the Maverick hold out. I don't think it'll be May. But February or March is viable.

C J Cox

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I went onto Carvana’s site a few minutes ago. The offer was above MSRP but below the OTD price. I would lose money if I sold it to them.

I don’t want an answer to this question but could you sustain a $1,200 loss? That’s the difference between the Carvana offer and my OTD amount.

My point is, no guarantee you’ll make money if you flipped the Maverick.

Both vehicles are good choices. Do one or the other but not both.

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I went onto Carvana’s site a few minutes ago. The offer was above MSRP but below the OTD price. I would lose money if I sold it to them.

I don’t want an answer to this question but could you sustain a $1,200 loss? That’s the difference between the Carvana offer and my OTD amount.

My point is, no guarantee you’ll make money if you flipped the Maverick.

Both vehicles are good choices. Do one or the other but not both.
Did you check CarGurus I made 5500 on a clean chevy equinox red line with 30 k miles they were thousands above all the others, they picked it up and had a check before they picked it up.

daddio211

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot rods, Jeeps, boats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Here's my situation - I missed the Dec '21 hybrid order cutoff by a few days. Seriously upset with myself but determined I waited and ordered a '23 on Sept 15th.

Figuring it would never arrive I bought an EcoBoost at MSRP about 5 weeks later. Shortly after I got a build date of Dec 5th!

The hybrid I ordered is what I want so I'll be selling the EcoBoost when the hybrid arrives. I expect no issue flipping the EB and making several thousand doing so. There is still a TON of demand for those, but it will wane over time.
Sponsored