First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cool idea. I understand the logic of only using Carplay or AA instead of having the phone mounted, but my setup is super convenient for just placing my phone close by and having a short cable coming from the USB-C port. I still swear by Carplay for music and navigation, but I hate having a longer USB cable and this fixes that concern. Not every phone app uses Carplay/AA and I like the convenience of having my phone close to me in case I have to use another app at a stop light for example.

I went with this phone mount from Amazon that can attach to the airvents below the display.

I use this 7.8 inch USB-C to Lightning Cable for Apple Carplay.

Ford Maverick Smartphone holder suction mount transforms Maverick dash cubby into functional space phone mount

Ford Maverick Smartphone holder suction mount transforms Maverick dash cubby into functional space mount 2
Sponsored

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I never have my phone mounted on any of my 3 motorcycles, it's always in my jacket pocket. In my Chevy Volt I used Apple Car play using a cable from the phone so know what I will get with my Maverick and it will be fine for me.

I will find something else to do with the cubby hole. It will not have my phone near it.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Ford Maverick Smartphone holder suction mount transforms Maverick dash cubby into functional space Nd9GcThMR4LhPdOpiep2UaIfgKhssC_0Bh39lERyg&usqp=CAU

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think I read that Android Auto and Apple Carplay are only available when the phone is physically plugged into the system (by USB, not Bluetooth). Is that right?
Correct. Unplugged-Bluetooth only, you still can use voice command to your phone, play music, make/answer calls but if you want access to comparable apps, like navigation then you have to be plugged in.

Sponsored

Mikeoley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Traverse
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice idea. I am thinking of building a panel for the hole to flush mount my garage door opener. That is if I ever get my truck.

Sirslayer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
But most important that Car play only works with a handful of Apple or Google apps when plugged into your phone. Just the basic apps like map and messages. No Facebook messenger or YouTube.

dmccorkle33

First Name
David McCorkle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat, 2022 Tesla Model Y Perf
But most important that Car play only works with a handful of Apple or Google apps when plugged into your phone. Just the basic apps like map and messages. No Facebook messenger or YouTube.
But you got the XL version which doesn't have any of the Nannies that the XLT and the Lariat have. How can you be watching YouTube when driving? or looking at Facebook Messenger? You SirSlayer are irresponsible!! :p(y)

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very interesting! No suction cup issues?

Sponsored

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2022 Mav XLT on order
Not speaking for OP but for myself, when I navigate, I've come to prefer just glancing at the next step for navigation. I really don't like the audio prompts so they're muted. I want the screen much closer to my field of view so I don't have to look far off the road to see directions. The info screen isn't bad, but it's still too far to where I have to move my head to look. I have a Ram mount for my phone and a suction cup on the windscreen, to place it where I just have to glance over with my eyes to see it and I can re-focus on the road much faster.
When your phone is plugged in to the usb outlets outlined with a blue light your nav app (such as Waze)will be on the large screen to the left so your phone could be in the console tray. If you have apps that Android Auto sees you don't need to pick up your phone or see it at all while driving. It sees your contacts and you just say, "Call or text) ____" and you're good.

OP
OP
Administrator

Administrator

2.0L EcoBoost
Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Here's a video of another suction cup mount being installed.

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
I broke my jaw in a car accident. You don't want that!!
Sorry to hear that! My friend did as well. When they did surgery they had to pull her chin skin up to set the bone correctly! What kind of phone mount was it that broke your jaw?!
Sponsored