Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did Sirius try to hit you up with a $50 “service transfer fee” for switching to the commander from your previous radio? Called them yesterday and they want the fifty to switch, and I only paid $70 for the whole year which runs until may.
No, SiriusXM did not try to charge me a service transfer fee. Maybe it's because our Dodge Grand Caravan new owner had already purchased SiriusXM so that service was no longer on our account.
Sponsored

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That raises a good question for me. I had to scrap my Fusion because of a deer. My subscription is almost time to renew. Do I cancel it, and when my Lariat Lux comes in, have Ford reestablish it?

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That raises a good question for me. I had to scrap my Fusion because of a deer. My subscription is almost time to renew. Do I cancel it, and when my Lariat Lux comes in, have Ford reestablish it?
You'll get some type of new subscriber discount with a new Lariat, so if you are not using SiriusXM, then cancel it.

troynm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat hybrid, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Begs the issue... why in the world does a $31k vehicle (my sticker) not have Sirus XM!
Or why a Lariat, the highest trim level does not have Sirius built in.

troynm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just like your old Blackberry, Sirius is not necessary anymore. Use flash drives as a source and you can have all the music you want when out of cell tower range. No install misery and no extra monthly subscription.
Assuming you just want music. I listen to mostly non-music stations with my Sirius.

Sponsored

troynm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
9 years of Serius must have cost you a lot! It is a dying technology like OnStar. Use your phone for Spotify. Plug a flash drive into the USB if you are out of cell service. No kits, no add ons, no install.
No news channels or a lot of channels I listen to. I seldom listen to music on my Sirius.

wme1221

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Colorado
Currently have a Sirius subscription In my 2012 F150. Awaiting my XLT which I realize doesn't have a Sirius capable radio. I have read a few threads with solutions being Bluetooth and smart phones. I dont have unlimited data and have spotty cell service here in GA. Questions is, does anybody have experience with a decent "portable" XM receiver. I dont want to dig Into the dashboard or have a wire and antenna hanging out the window. I would consider getting a new audio system installed professionally but from the looks of the radio on the XLT seems like they would have to cut up the dash as that am\fm looks very thin??
Mike, we're in similar boats regarding satellite radio. I'm feeling the need to move to an easier-access vehicle (otherwise I really like my Colorado), and I don't drive enough to justify spending a lot, but the cell service around here (I'm in south GA too) isn't reliable enough to give me a warm fuzzy about not springing for a creature comfort I enjoy. I may end up buying a Santa Cruz just to save some bucks.

Mikeoley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Traverse
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is an interesting topic. If you have Sirius app on a mobile phone can you play Sirius on the Trucks system?

Jon
you can bluetooth it from your phone either by using Fords wireless plan through ATT or using your phones data plan.

KenT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I finally received the fuse taps and the Fakra to FM antenna cable adapters on Monday and Tuesday. So yesterday I took the afternoon to install. The plastic bezel around the center console vents and AC controls comes off easily, just popping four tabs.

1640285766274-png.png

I removed the blue Ford Fakra type blue onnector shown on the left within the red eclipse in the above photo. The female Fakra to FM cable adapter plugged easily on the Ford male connector. The Ford female connector on the loose cable plugged easily on to the Fakra to FM adapter with the male connector. This left me with only two FM cable ends on the purchased adapters not connected.

1640286046009-png.png

This leaves the obvious connection of the FM cable ends of the FMDA25 inline FM relay to the FM cable connectors of the Fakra to FM adapters. Pretty logical and obvious. I ran the FMDA25 connection cable to the Commander Touch Module down the right side of the open center console out bottom to the fuse box area for connection to the Commander Touch Module.

1640286449765-png.png

After removing the right floor board fuse box cover, I spent 1-1/2 hours trying to find a fuse slot that was not hot when the key was off and out of the ignition. I didn't find one. I don't know if they just were staying on for a few minutes after the ignition was turned off or not. I just didn't find a fuse slot controlled by the accessory which was necessary for the Commander Touch module to work properly. See the photo below that shows the power connections with the yellow wire connecting to the battery or a connection that remains hot. The red wire connects to an ignition control accessory connection, the orange wire connects to the cars illumination control which is not necessary for use. I don't care if the Commander Touch display dims with cabin lighting, or not, so I did not connect this wire.

1640286108611-png.png

Obviously the black wire is the ground and is connected to the stud with a nut and washer just below the red battery wire and the green accessory wire feeding the fuse box. Instead of a fuse adapter, I tapped the fused yellow wire of the Commander Touch power connection wire to the red battery wire feeding the fuse box shown below. The red accessory Commander Touch power connection I tapped into the green wire shown below controlled by the ignition. Unfortunately, the first time I made the connection I mistakenly connected both the red accessory wire and the yellow battery wire of the power harness to the red always hot wire feeding the fuse box. So, naturally, when I turned the ignition off the Commander Touch display remained on. So, I had to remove the accessory red wire connection and make the tap on Ford's green accessory wire.

1640287034396-png.png

I then connected the Display, the FMDA25 relay, the antenna, and power harness to the Commander Touch Module. I did not use the auxiliary cable since it will not work with the auxiliary input of the Ford Radio.

So with everything connected, I started the truck and turned on the Commander Touch display and activated the SiriusXM radio and set it up. The Commander Touch display is bright and easy to see with great resolution and relieved my concerns about the small size of the display. Touch controls on the display work without lag and are intuitive to use. Finding an unused FM channel was difficult but finally I found one and tuned the Commander Touch to the appropriate channel.

I was going to put the display above Ford's display, but it seemed to interfere with the FM signal. So, I have notmounted it in a permanent position yet. I'm not real happy with the FM signal from the FMDA25 adapter and location seems to be important. The FMDA25 adapter is supposed to be a relay and block all FM over the air signals only to broadcast the FM channel chosen. It doesn't seem to work as I can change FM channels and they come through fine.

I'm going to try a few different places within the center console or fuse box area to locate the FMDA25 adapter. On the road it seems to perform a little better but I still notice some occasional FM static. I'm going to try and get some support help with SiriusXM to alleviate static through the FMDA25 relay and see why it will not cut out the FM broadcast signals. My old school 2003/2005 XACT radio FM signal had no static, so other than controls the Commander Touch did not improve the Satellite radio performance.

It's still a work in progress and I'll update when I can.
Third antenna input is for DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting), found in Europe and 40+ other countries, but not in North America. It broadcast at different frequency than FM, so needs different antenna not available in North America.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Third antenna input is for DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting), found in Europe and 40+ other countries, but not in North America. It broadcast at different frequency than FM, so needs different antenna not available in North America.
Thanks...good information. Although, the Harman CTR OM says the antenna port is SDARS. It's not on mine, so it doesn't matter.

Sponsored

KenT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks...good information. Although, the Harman CTR OM says the antenna port is SDARS. It's not on mine, so it doesn't matter.
Please review my post “Satellite radio antenna in all Mavericks?” I would like to know if you find any errors. If what I say is true, would you do your install differently? I would like to know the best way for when my Maverick arrives.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Please review my post “Satellite radio antenna in all Mavericks?” I would like to know if you find any errors. If what I say is true, would you do your install differently? I would like to know the best way for when my Maverick arrives.
I don't know what to say, other than, there was no satellite antenna cable present in my XL at the ACM. Does this mean there is not a SiriusXM antenna contained in the shark fin? No, not necessarily. It also doesn't mean there is one either. I've got mine running and unless I can afford to upgrade the ACM and install an APIM upgrading to Sync 3/4, or another aftermarket SiriusXM that adds control to the 8" Ford display, I'm not fooling with the SiriusXM antenna again. Once is enough. ;)

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know what to say, other than, there was no satellite antenna cable present in my XL at the ACM. Does this mean there is not a SiriusXM antenna contained in the shark fin? No, not necessarily. It also doesn't mean there is one either. I've got mine running and unless I can afford to upgrade the ACM and install an APIM upgrading to Sync 3/4, or another aftermarket SiriusXM that adds control to the 8" Ford display, I'm not fooling with the SiriusXM antenna again. Once is enough. ;)
There is definitely not a satellite antenna in the shark fin on any trim level as a base option. The only aerial that has it is the one included in the Lux. package for the Lariats. They also using different wiring harnesses.

To verify that just go look for parts based on VIN numbers for a Lariat with the Lux. package.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The simpliest way to get SiriusXM into a Maverick is to use any dock based receiver and connect it via bluetooth. You just need the right dock with bluetooth if you don't already have one for an existing receiver. If you don't want to run the antenna wire yourself into the vehicle pay any car radio installer or a place like Best Buy to do it.

Me personally I use a Tour360 receiver that has bluetooth and wifi built into the receiver in the car. I can also listen to the SiriusXM internet stations using the phone in the car through the wifi while connected to the radio if I want and kick back to satellite when no service is available.

Last edited:

DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the Lariat Lux and have Sirrus free for six months. My wife has it in her car and is happy with it. I can't stand it and tried to find a station i enjoyed to no avail. I use Pandora and have the music that I want but I run out of service maybe 5% of the time and I would rather have music I want 95% of the time versus music i don't like 100% and would eventually cost me a few bucks a month. Is there a satellite alternative to Sirrus?
Sponsored