Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The other thing to consider - when ( and if really ) something needs repair you are always in a better position being able to say " I bought this from you and " most dealerships appreciate you being "their" customer.
Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My time and comfort is worth more than "saving" ~$1,000.00. Let's see here; getting up early and getting a ride somehow to the airport, standing in lines for security/checkin, possible flight delays and other BS, finding transportation to hotel & again checking in wait/BS, sleeping in a crappy hotel bed and other stuff including lack of service, packing again, finding ride to dealership, several hours of paperwork to close deal (possible surprises happen here), get the truck and go find next hotel, another crappy hotel experience, back on the rood with all the idiot drivers to next destination (insert multiple hotel nights here), finally get back home after 2-3 days with a sore back from driving & lousy nights sleep in hotels and frazzled nerves from dealing with the rat race...

vs.

wake up on my own schedule after a good night's sleep in my own bed, take my time doing usual morning coffee, exercise, etc., then when ready drive a couple miles across town to my friendly dealer, finalize any paperwork/payments (MSRP on truck promised and dealer fees clearly stated), wait for them to bring my shiny new Maverick to me (if not already waiting up front), do a quick walkaround to look for any issues, then drive off with a smile on my face. Probably take the long way home too. :cool:

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it's normal. I'm happy paying MSRP, but I'm also the one that doesn't mind paying a LITTLE more than MSRP, if I think it's reasonable. In this case, paying $1,000 more than MSRP might not be the worst thing, all things considered, but that's just me.
Booooo! If nobody paid markup, there would be no markup! Boooooo!

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Booooo! If nobody paid markup, there would be no markup! Boooooo!
You’re not wrong! 🤣 I just don’t mind it and I see why it happens.
With that said, my generosity has limits. 🙃

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sandstorm

Banned
Banned
First Name
Anonymous
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My time and comfort is worth more than "saving" ~$1,000.00. Let's see here; getting up early and getting a ride somehow to the airport, standing in lines for security/checkin, possible flight delays and other BS, finding transportation to hotel & again checking in wait/BS, sleeping in a crappy hotel bed and other stuff including lack of service, packing again, finding ride to dealership, several hours of paperwork to close deal (possible surprises happen here), get the truck and go find next hotel, another crappy hotel experience, back on the rood with all the idiot drivers to next destination (insert multiple hotel nights here), finally get back home after 2-3 days with a sore back from driving & lousy nights sleep in hotels and frazzled nerves from dealing with the rat race...

vs.

wake up on my own schedule after a good night's sleep in my own bed, take my time doing usual morning coffee, exercise, etc., then when ready drive a couple miles across town to my friendly dealer, finalize any paperwork/payments (MSRP on truck promised and dealer fees clearly stated), wait for them to bring my shiny new Maverick to me (if not already waiting up front), do a quick walkaround to look for any issues, then drive off with a smile on my face. Probably take the long way home too. :cool:
I'm also starting to become an old fart and prefer my comfort over unforeseeable adventure!

Waking up at 4am to catch a 6am flight, having to get a ride from the airport to the dealership, wait around for a few hours for paperwork in a distant city(I read that this dealership is great to work with) and then drive for 8h, get a hotel room and drive for another 8h just to save $300 does not sound appealing.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I was planning on going with Granger at 3% under invoice but after doing all the calculations and having to fly up, driving 1000 miles back and getting a hotel room, I'd only be saving a few hundred over buying from my local dealer at MSRP.

I have talked to my 4 closest Ford dealerships, asking them all if they could do any better than MSRP and every one is them has said they could not. My question is, is it normal for dealership's to not want to compete with each other in this climate? I know there is still dealer holdback even if they sold at invoice price, is it just not worth the time/paperwork to sell a custom build under MSRP?

One sales person even responded to my email saying "we are only making $895 off of the sale to you if we sold it at MSRP and that's not a lot".... My thought was that $900 does seem like a lot of profit for never having to have the vehicle on their lot and only 1h-2h of paperwork.

If I was to take the MSRP deal, I'd only be paying an additional $300 over buying at Granger after airfare, hotel and gas is considered and it is worth $300 to me to not have to put 1000 hwy miles on my brand new truck but it's kind of unsettling to see other dealerships offering invoice or below and I can't find any local dealerships that are willing to go under MSRP. What are your thoughts?
First, I love buying cars…. Second, I love beating up a dealer, Third and most importantly I learned not to fall in love with a particular car at a dealership. That being said, I have a “Toyota Guy”, that I bought over 10 new cars from, next I have a “Honda Guy that I bought 5 new cars from. In this market after talking to them, I put my daughter into 2021 CRV Hybrid for MSRP, dealer was selling $5,000 -$6,000 over MSRP. So, ordering my XLT with everything I wanted, I understand the market and reluctantly will pay MSRP. No Bitcoin no moaning…. It is what it is. I want it now, so I pay the going rate. I’ve looked at identical Mavericks on dealer lots asking $3,000 or more over MSRP… nope I’ll wait for mine.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm also starting to become an old fart and prefer my comfort over unforeseeable adventure!

Waking up at 4am to catch a 6am flight, having to get a ride from the airport to the dealership, wait around for a few hours for paperwork in a distant city(I read that this dealership is great to work with) and then drive for 8h, get a hotel room and drive for another 8h just to save $300 does not sound appealing.
They were - quick and great to deal with, I think we were there about an hour including giving the truck a quick spin and making sure I was synced up with the app.

Granger is definitely not a city though! It may be relatively close to Des Moines, but...that is also not a very big place (you can see the tall buildings downtown from 8-10 miles away, and count them on one hand...). The Granger dealership location is truly rural by any standard, even if it is just a 20 minute drive to downtown Des Moines.

Gmood1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well if anyone wants to be knocked in the head for a 1st Edition Maverick and feel-good about it. I know where one is available Georgia.😆

Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The markup on a Maverick is less than $1000, even on a Lariat. And obviously there are no real rebates, but maybe some of Ford's weird rebates still do apply. So there isn't much point running around to find a below MSRP price. You won't be saving much anyway.

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
MSRP is fair pricing in this current market. I paid MSRP + $399 documentation fee minus $500 military discount, tax, tag, title. I feel like it's a fair deal for the Mav. For just a few hundred more to buy locally and establish a relationship with the dealership Service dept locally will be worth it. Having owned a Honda for a while now, some things are just better done at the dealership when it comes to maintenance.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
MSRP is fair pricing in this current market. I paid MSRP + $300 documentation fee minus $500 military discount, tax, tag, title. I feel like it's a fair deal for the Mav. For just a few hundred more to buy locally and establish a relationship with the dealership Service dept locally will be worth it. Having owned a Honda for a while now, some things are just better done at the dealership when it comes to maintenance.
I agree with all of this - that I was able to get an additional discount at Granger in today's sales climate was unexpected. Though I will admit I'm not sure I would have actively pursued buying a Maverick so aggressively if it weren't an option (being a day-trip away made it relatively easy for me).

Ultimately I still feel the Maverick is the first vehicle where Ford is truly pushing the build to order, with reasonable pricing to the point that I can see them actively trying to do away with the huge discounts that often go on. Stick with small things like the Military, first responder and student discounts, otherwise push dealers to sell in a transparent and up-front way from start to finish - that will win future customers.

(Disclaimer - I also ended up getting a Ford loyalty bonus of $750, which I wouldn't say no to! This was my 3rd Ford in under 4 years though...which I sorta had forgotten - my Focus ST was not kept for very long). Granger literally popped this loyalty bonus on me just before we walked in to complete the sale, unprompted - further evidence that they were a stellar dealer to work with in my book.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am not wealthy by any stretch but I am also not going to stress over a few hundred dollars, it was more of a "How can some dealerships offer 3% under invoice and other dealerships aren't willing to budge off of MSRP or worse?". I think the answer is probably just sales volume. I think I'll call my local Ford dealership today and place my order at MSRP. What's the scoop on SOME dealerships offering full nationwide lifetime powertrain warranties? Is this is a scam?(I've never bought a new vehicle before).
Offering a complimentary lifetime warranty by some dealers is common practice but if you read the fine print (or even see it) I doubt they ever ponied up a nickel. Can't call it a scam per say but doubt it will ever bear fruit for the customer. As we all know there is no free lunch.
Sponsored