First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I will be doing almost all city driving. It would be interesting to see the effect of adding a second battery. Plenty of room under the rear seat and the matching battery is available open market. Okay all you engineering wizards what is the downside and upside?
Sponsored

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you anticipating starting issues with one 12v battery or are you asking if you can add a second high voltage traction battery?

OP
OP

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you anticipating starting issues with one 12v battery or are you asking if you can add a second high voltage traction battery?
Second high voltage

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Second high voltage
Your issue here is going to be pulling a wire diagram from ford so you can hook it up parallel to the 1st

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m no engineer so if I’m wrong someone tell me. I don’t believe you would be able to just throw on a battery without extensive software updates and possibly additional hardware upgrades. I would recommend waiting for the plug in or electric over adding a second high voltage battery.

on second thought, go ahead and do it and let us know the results.

Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m no engineer so if I’m wrong someone tell me. I don’t believe you would be able to just throw on a battery without extensive software updates and possibly additional hardware upgrades. I would recommend waiting for the plug in or electric over adding a second high voltage battery.

on second thought, go ahead and do it and let us know the results.
My worry would be the software as well, can't imagine how much control it has over these batteries

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Your issue here is going to be pulling a wire diagram from ford so you can hook it up parallel to the 1st
Is it not as easy as connecting the two terminals, red to red, black to black?

That's seems like a pretty simple parallel circuit.

Also, I assume the question was asked as a way to increase the electric vehicle range.

Would a battery of the same size and voltage effectively double the electric vehicle range?

(Not an engineer and don't claim to be one)

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Also, I assume the question was asked as a way to increase the electric vehicle range.

Would a battery of the same size and voltage effectively double the electric vehicle range?

(Not an engineer and don't claim to be one)
This truck has a hell of a lot of software controlling how this battery puts out and how this battery charges. So the question is if you were to hook up another battery which would just essentially double the Is capacity would the software be able to read that increased capacity and adjust accordingly. Also you are assuming that it is a simple positive 2 positive and negative to negative when it could very well be be a massive electrical bundle.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since your only primary energy source is the ICE, adding a second battery is unlikely to make any real difference. That's assuming the battery is "right sized" to begin with.

A significantly larger battery capacity would make a huge difference if it were a plug-in. Just doubling the current battery, no real difference in that context as well.

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Prefix: Not an engineer, but I dabble alot

Normally, yes, but not. The OP was talking about another hybrid high voltage battery.

1. Those are larger than a 12v battery, and probably won't fit under the seat.
2. Lithium Ion batteries have additional connections for monitoring battery charge level and health, and is critical for operation of the battery. The car's ECU would need to be connected to that to ensure save operation.
3. The ECU is calibrated to the delivered amount of storage in the battery. Doubling the amount of storage would mess up the hybrid switchover operation, and could potentially give you worse MPG.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since your only primary energy source is the ICE, adding a second battery is unlikely to make any real difference. That's assuming the battery is "right sized" to begin with.

A significantly larger battery capacity would make a huge difference if it were a plug-in. Just doubling the current battery, no real difference in that context as well.
Yes the goal is to extend the range.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

This was my thinking as well, I feel like the biggest advancements that have been made in hybrid tech is in efficiency of components and batteries allowing for smaller sized batteries. Not sure what installing a larger battery would accomplish other than adding cost and weight.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What’s the point? All energy comes from gasoline in the hybrid, the battery is sized to get you through normal city and normal highway driving and is enough to recapture kinetic energy and kick the vehicle off the line from stopped, over and over, until it’s recharged by gasoline power. At highway speeds it doesn’t matter if you have 5x the battery capacity in THIS vehicle, it’s gonna use the ICE for drive power at those higher speeds.

If you have more battery capacity, I truly don’t know what problem you’re solving, even for just city driving. I maybe don’t understand the limitations of the current battery size.
Sponsored