Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the Santa cruz and the maverick had same engines and same cost I would still get the maverick 100%. I just do not like it. The maverick is a small pick up the Hyundai it is a car with a small open bed...The santa cruz will not do well and by the time it’s electrified there will be more and more competing offers.
the ford maverick will also be more on demand and retain its value better.
this is my humble opinion of course.
Sponsored

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I anticipate for the santa cruz the same success than the subaru baja...
Sorry I would not drive that...and subaru outback and forester is something I like a lot.
Well I guess this is why I am not on the santa cruz forum...
Ford Maverick Santa Cruz's Are Starting to Arrive 1627747886379

Last edited:

Sponsored

F1PRB22GA

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Game over?
Lets get the pair on the road and drive them for 9 months and determine what's what. At this point I see a couple things of note, the Hyundai is built in the USA(y)and the Bronco Sport(same assembly plant as Maverick) which has been out for several months is under (3) Recalls currently. At this point, all most of us can really do is compare specs, pictures & guess.
Does the Santa Cruz come with a fire extinguisher?

In March 2021, Hyundai announced another recall of more than 390,000 vehicles for two problems that can cause engine fires.

OP
OP
zeketolliver

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does the Santa Cruz come with a fire extinguisher?

In March 2021, Hyundai announced another recall of more than 390,000 vehicles for two problems that can cause engine fires.
Yeah, every manufacturer issues recalls on damn near every vehicle.

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wow 44 Large for a decked out Santa Cruz and 30K for the base. And she said that was a GOOD price? I am glad the Maverick is available and you can pick and choose what you want. I bet you could option up a Mav with everything and not hit 40k.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I anticipate for the santa cruz the same success than the subaru baja...
Sorry I would not drive that...and subaru outback and forester is something I like a lot.
Well I guess this is why I am on the santa cruz forum...
1627747886379.jpeg
Worked at a Subaru store. When the Baja was new, sales were dismal. As a used car everyone that came in on trade sold quickly.

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
That's in Canadian dollars.
To quote Larry Correia character in Tom Stranger stories, what’s a Canadian ;) I don’t know but it sounds silly.
No, Seriously Canada is a great place. Longest confirmed combat kill, Letterkenny and Red Green almost make me willing to endure the cold weather.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Well, because a local Hyundai dealer here in Covington LA showed a 2.5 turbo AWD Limited SC to be in stock, I took a swing by to eyeball it. I only wanted to check out a few specific things so not many pictures and I basically ignored all its amenities, you can check the window sticker for that.
Ford Maverick Santa Cruz's Are Starting to Arrive one

I’m now past the cross-shopping stage, decided on a Maverick Hybrid, but a couple months ago before Maverick launch I considered going the AWD with tow route with something smaller to replace my F150, and considered either a Ridgeline ($$$) or a weak “maybe” on the details-unknown-at-the-time Santa Cruz ($$).

So for grins thought I’d quickly check out the SC regards (1) can my 6’4” frame comfortably fit in both front and rear, (2) what’s the deal with that “SC is prewired for 4-pin and 7-pin connector” business (the actual hitch receiver itself is an accessory option), (3) any obvious auxiliary cooling features (radiator, transmission) to help it achieve the 5000 lb tow rating the AWD version has, (4) did the composite bed have any markings/warning label/etc on it regarding it’s so-called 660 lb cargo limit for the bed, and most importantly for me (5) what did the door jamb stickers say on payload and GCWR?

1. I easily fit in the driver’s side with seat all the way back, lots of room. Had an inch or 2 more headroom left even with the moonroof the SC had. In the rear, after moving the passenger seat almost all the way forward, could sit comfortably too.
2. This is still a mystery. Crawled under the back, could see where some wire harnesses went, but the sales type with me was clueless when I asked him about that “prewired” business.
3. I tried to get a picture of the radiator p/n and what appears to be the trans oil cooler p/n but was unable to do so. Looking through the grill you can see the radiator (horizontal plates) and what I think is the trans cooler (vertical plates to right of radiator). Below the chrome bumper part you can see more of the radiator and trans cooler so they’re fair sized (pardon my ugly mug).
Ford Maverick Santa Cruz's Are Starting to Arrive four

Ford Maverick Santa Cruz's Are Starting to Arrive two

Ford Maverick Santa Cruz's Are Starting to Arrive three

4. Nothing on or anywhere around the bed indicating that 600 lb weight limitation. As expected the sales type was clueless.
5. Payload is a disappointment (1411 lbs) for this AWD. Strangely this is what the online owner’s manual said (1411 lbs) for all SC’s, but the whole Santa Cruz Towing Section of the owner’s manual is such a hot mess that thought it must be wrong – but it’s true. Wonder what happened to that 1700+ lbs max payload Hyundai mention? Maybe someone will get a chance to see a FWD SC and we’ll see if it is closer to that 1700 lbs but now I doubt that. The GCWR was 5732 lbs.
Ford Maverick Santa Cruz's Are Starting to Arrive five

Ford Maverick Santa Cruz's Are Starting to Arrive six

Last pic is the ridiculous “dealer add-ons” price of $1412 for worthless junk like Resistall Protection (whatever the hell that is), Autoguard (?), and the infamous Wheel Locks. From past experience I’d wage the cost-to-dealer for all that crap is less than $300.
Ford Maverick Santa Cruz's Are Starting to Arrive seven

Attachments

KimoCarew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus ES 300H
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At first, I leaned towards the SCruz, being wary of the Mav's CVT.

Then like you, the hybrid MPG and the lower cost, along with understanding the CVT better, won me over to the Ford.

Originally a fan of the Scruz design, I now appreciate and prefer the truck like design of the Mav.

Looking at the above video, it looks kinda crowded inside, front and back.
The CVT on the Mav is part of the hybrid system and is pretty robust. You'll love it.