Sponsored

Roof diffuser / vortex generator

Do they belong on a road race inspired Maverick?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ive been thinking about installing some on the roof where the cab spoiler would go. All of my research says they help with wind noise and also aerodynamics. The Ridgeline has them built in as do several other cars/trucks. What are the groups thoughts, good or bad? Am i crazy? lol
Sponsored

MavFromTheDead

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've had vortex generators on a couple of cars. The difference in wind noise will be minimal and the increase in aerodynamics will be basically null. Maybe if you have a tonneau cover with a spoiler at the tailgate. If you think it looks good tho, go for it. Personally I like the look, and it is something that I don't see on Mavs.

Joseaoe1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 4K VB, 2022 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am interested because I can feel a differential pressure if I open my sliding window particularly at highway speeds. It is slight but present. So I am intrigued at any idea that may change the airflow without increasing drag or looking crappy installed.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am interested because I can feel a differential pressure if I open my sliding window particularly at highway speeds. It is slight but present. So I am intrigued at any idea that may change the airflow without increasing drag or looking crappy installed.
How many hundreds of hours do you think Ford invested in both aero computer fluid dynamic and flow simulation testing as well as actual wind tunnel testing on the Maverick truck? There's a pressure differential behind the window because the air is transitioning from a higher pressure on top of the roof to a lower pressure behind the cab, and that transition point/area was purposely designed to ease flow and reduce drag..... a $19 Amazon accessory is not going to make any tangible improvement.

good luck

Joseaoe1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How many hundreds of hours do you think Ford invested in both aero computer fluid dynamic and flow simulation testing as well as actual wind tunnel testing on the Maverick truck? There's a pressure differential behind the window because the air is transitioning from a higher pressure on top of the roof to a lower pressure behind the cab, and that transition point/area was purposely designed to ease flow and reduce drag..... a $19 Amazon accessory is not going to make any tangible improvement.

good luck

harsh.
Not necessarily lobbying for a 19 dollar accessory but I get your point on the basic design makes modification with a cheap component unlikely. All I know is my ears feel the pressure differential and if that is just a fact of life and not practical to correct then I can live with it. But on my old ridgeline I did not have this problem when opening the slider.

Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry, my comment was not intented at all to be harsh.

good luck...

ryan2366

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat - Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Get the window vents on side windows and crack them open a little when you have your slider open. Or pop open the moonroof if you have one.

The Maverick looks good. Tacking too much stuff on it takes away from that and cheapens the look. It’s a fine balance.

ejouie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Maverick, Atlas Blue, FWD, EcoBoost, XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Interesting
How many hundreds of hours do you think Ford invested in both aero computer fluid dynamic and flow simulation testing as well as actual wind tunnel testing on the Maverick truck? There's a pressure differential behind the window because the air is transitioning from a higher pressure on top of the roof to a lower pressure behind the cab, and that transition point/area was purposely designed to ease flow and reduce drag.....

Cab/3rd brake light extension over the bed:
-Ridgeline
-Ram Revolution
-Chevrolet Silverado EV
-Rivian R1T
-2024 Tacoma
-Santa Cruz
-Cybertruck

Without:
-F150
-F150 Lightning
-2024 Ranger
-Maverick
-Tundra
-Titan
-Frontier
-Colorado

rivermaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Fusion (UK), MEV Sonic7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I remember reading about the new features on the 2024 Tacoma and one of the complaints they addressed was farmers complaining that driving with the rear slider open straw would get sucked into the cab, they have modified the roof line and CHMSL mounting to cure this.
I haven't looked at one to see what they did.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
harsh.
Not necessarily lobbying for a 19 dollar accessory but I get your point on the basic design makes modification with a cheap component unlikely. All I know is my ears feel the pressure differential and if that is just a fact of life and not practical to correct then I can live with it. But on my old ridgeline I did not have this problem when opening the slider.
Every truck I've ever driven with a slider does this. Any vortex generator you buy will not have had actual wind tunnel testing, I promise. Wind tunnels are VERY expensive, I know this from first hand experience. Nobody selling amazon parts will have paid the fees to have a Maverick in wind tunnel while they worked on generator shape, size and cab placement. No chance

Sponsored

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I may be dating myself but it’s funny how something’s never change. When it comes to needless accessories, they sure are fun to see.

Ford Maverick Roof diffuser / vortex generator IMG_4191

Ford Maverick Roof diffuser / vortex generator IMG_4192

Ford Maverick Roof diffuser / vortex generator IMG_4190

OP
OP
jewc75

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
LOL anyone who thinks Ford put any money into aero on the Maverick is kidding themselves. They built a cheap truck not a supercar.

FunctionSpec

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick HYBRID XLT LuxPkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
LOL anyone who thinks Ford put any money into aero on the Maverick is kidding themselves. They built a cheap truck not a supercar.
CFD, NVH, and aero has been a part of (every) vehicle design and manufacturing for decades and even more so now when OEMs are scratching for every tenth of a MPG to meet Government mandates across their product lines. Shavings make a pile.

Joseaoe1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Every truck I've ever driven with a slider does this. Any vortex generator you buy will not have had actual wind tunnel testing, I promise. Wind tunnels are VERY expensive, I know this from first hand experience. Nobody selling amazon parts will have paid the fees to have a Maverick in wind tunnel while they worked on generator shape, size and cab placement. No chance
Copy that. I will live with it. I was surprised b/c my 2006 Honda ridgeline did not have this issue
Sponsored