Sponsored

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
Yes, I knew a grad student in the early 90's who wrote/logged all odometer readings and gallons-filled data in a little red pocket book. I think he had VW golf or the American version of it...the 4-door Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon hatchback.

Ideally, over time, that combined data and mileage would reduce mpg error/variance caused by inconistent pump 'fill to gas pump click-stop,' or any overfilling. But to have the most accurate hand-calucations, it would require YOU filling the vehicle every time. If you loan your car/truck to someone and they top it off, or your spouse drives it and fills it without telling you, your ultimate, hand-calculated numbers will be innacurate.

I'll stick to our Mav's original, never reset, trip tracker fuel economy reading.
My resent trip - All pumped by me - The only variable is the gas pump flow meter accuracy.

Trip Data:

I started with a full tank and ended with a full tank right up to the gas cap and have all the receipts in between. Will add up to see if the dash calculations are correct provided the Gas Stations are honest.

Edit: From Gas Station Receipts - $321.58/67.4606 Gals 2227.3 miles/67.4606 = 33.016 MPG

3.6 MPG Discrepancy in Fords favor.

Ford Maverick Rolling Average?  9,700 mile Review and Fuel Economy Check-In, Hybrid Lariat img_2088-
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mach E CP

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat, 2021 Mach E Prem ExtAWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very interesting, thanks! I reset my trip 1 every time I fill my tank to check the mpg/tank. I thought the fuel economy screen showed my mpg for the life of the truck so now Iā€™m a little bit confused. Regardless I am thrilled with my gas consumption! Having just turnEd 7000 miles and averaging one 900 mile RT every month since getting the truck Iā€™m averaging 42.9 mpg! Not as great as my EV but at least I have room to haul thingsšŸ˜ŠšŸ‘šŸ»
I like to see youā€™re matching 42.9 avg to the mpg my recent driving! Rolling avg bumped up another bit to 43.3 over the last 250 miles. Lifetime up to 38.9. Gets better and better as the weather warms.

Similarly, we drive a Mav and an EV! Those two are a transportation combination with utility, fun, and economy! A zippy ev, truck utility, and both low cost per mile!

OP
OP
Mach E CP

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My resent trip - All pumped by me - The only variable is the gas pump flow meter accuracy.
ā€˜ā€¦up to the gas capā€™
Are your fills past the pumpā€™s cutoff click-stop? Like topping to full at the cap?

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜ā€¦up to the gas capā€™
Are your fills past the pumpā€™s cutoff click-stop? Like topping to full at the cap?
You bet. That's the only way to do a test like this the right way. Used the funnel provided by Ford and filled to the top of cap at the start of the trip and the end of trip. The fill ups on the trip were over 5 states, I have no idea if any of the pumps were correctly calibrated.

The ICE did most of the work and the gas milage wasn't bad at all.

OP
OP
Mach E CP

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

QuesoEnFuego

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Fiesta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone know for certain how the software calculates mpg? Does it measure the gallons by weight or volume? If you don't reset the trip computer what triggers the new gas reading? I'd be willing to bet it's significantly more prone to error than basic hand math even taking into account filling variation.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had with my very first tank of gas around 600 miles and i think around 44mpg. In the meantime I am close to 7k miles and until recently I used to get mpgs around 42. I recently had the dealership do the software update for rough idle. (https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...d-idle-surge-fix-software-update.12761/page-7)

Ever since they have done the update, it seems the mpg has gone down significantly. After the update, the gas engine kicks in much more often than before. It kicks in right after cold start, even when the temperature is decent. I still get pretty great mpg on the freeway but my city mpg has gone down significantly. Over the course of the last 6 or 700 miles I think my average mpg went down from 42 to 36, which sucks.

Retrospectively, I should not have done the software update. Did I have sometimes rough idle? Sure but it was never an issue for me. All people who had major issues with this were in the colder geographies. I live in california and don't think it would have been ever an issue.

Anyway, still love my truck!!

QuesoEnFuego

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Fiesta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

JBMcC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jetta TDI, 03 Corolla, 95 W2500 Diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great detailed analysis. Thanks!
FYI: Our 2021 KIA Niro also has an 'optimistic' dashboard MPG estimate. Over several fillups (5,000 miles) it averaged 8% high (assuming the odometer is correct). My Maverick was shown in production this last week. Cannot wait to get it!

mcgarveyjb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT W/Lux and spray in
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you going to the Pirate Festival, the weekend after Labor Day? I'm hoping to get to Wisconsin in the fall, friends and family to see. Probably won't have my Maverick though, but I can hope.
YUp, we came out every year until covid, this will be our first time back since 2018, my Dad was from Eastport, and we have family there. The wife usually does the pirate fest craft show.

mcgarveyjb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT W/Lux and spray in
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you going to the Pirate Festival, the weekend after Labor Day? I'm hoping to get to Wisconsin in the fall, friends and family to see. Probably won't have my Maverick though, but I can hope.
Keep us posted on your travels, if yours is not in by then, you can take a ride in mine :)

ychuck46

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Supercrew w/EcoBoost engine, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like to calculate the actual mpg myself rather than use the onboard computer. That being said, I find both to be very close. After 1500+ miles in our hybrid XLT we are averaging 48-49 mpg in mixed driving (probably 70+% city and country roads to be fair). Love the mileage!

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love to see the the great MPG readouts with a breakdown of the driving habits and mention of seasonal conditions over the duration of the readings. I'm always impressed with the readouts I have with my 2020 Sonata Hybrid: our 5000 mile, 4 weeks trip in the early spring from Maine to South Florida to Memphis to Maine. The trip screen showed 50.4 MPG. However, when I got home, I tallied up the 4500 mile gas receipt collection and came up with 47.2, still nothing to complain about. Has anyone else compared their results like this?
Yes, I have. I've never reset my trip summary since purchasing it. While the truck was being driven strictly around local roads for the first 2600+ miles, the dash computer showed an average of 45.7 mpg. Using the CarIQ app, I've kept track of my fill-ups and that app is showing 43.07 mpg. Not surprised by the difference too much as my prior car, a 2005 Prius, also tended to be off by a few mpgs on every tank.
Sponsored