First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You're right. There is no space to mount the rain sensor in the maverick. From what I can find, the sensor mounts to the windshield and not to the cover.

Here is a picture of the mount on my truck...
1658940957486.png

and here is an example of the mount from an F-150. You can see on the right where the senor mounts and you can see that the glass underneath is clear.
1658940812431.png

I can't find any specific info on how Ford's sensor works but I assume it's similar to GM's system:
GM still calls its automatic system Rainsense, and its basic function hasn't changed much since 1996. Rain is, well, sensed by a module mounted on the inside of the windshield, behind the rearview mirror. It contains eight LEDs and a set of light collectors. When the weather is dry, the LED light bounces off the windshield and into the collectors. But when a raindrop lands in front of the module, some of that light would refract away from the collectors, and the system triggers the wiper blades to swipe.
If it is light based then yeah it will need to be mounted on a clear section of glass. Mounting the sensor is going to be the easy part. Simple case scenario is tape it to the windshield. Me personally I'd 3d print something in a plastic that can handle the heat of the sun to hold the sensor that can be glued to the windshield and mount it right under the box next to the mirror. At that point you can put a hole the cover somewhere for the wiring then follow the same route to wire it as the ipma wires are using.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Brown0

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bringing this one back to life out of self-interest. Having now lived with rain-sensing wipers in all of my vehicles for the last 4 years, this is the #1 thing I will miss when my Maverick comes in in a few months. It will be a 2023.

I'm absolutely willing to find and install the components (replacement switch stalk if needed and rain sensor), and it looks like Forscan is figured out too.

My question - Has anyone figured out the wiring needed from the sensor to get this working?

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Bringing this one back to life out of self-interest. Having now lived with rain-sensing wipers in all of my vehicles for the last 4 years, this is the #1 thing I will miss when my Maverick comes in in a few months. It will be a 2023.

I'm absolutely willing to find and install the components (replacement switch stalk if needed and rain sensor), and it looks like Forscan is figured out too.

My question - Has anyone figured out the wiring needed from the sensor to get this working?
Same here I was thinking yesterday in the rain - man I wish I had RSW lol

uraceulose

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 maverick xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You will need an opening in the frit for the sensor to work properly.
The most cost effective way is to buy that sensor and buy an aftermarket windshield for the model with rain sensing wipers but wait until your next broken windshield.
There should be a control module similar to the ipma controlling the wipers and it would likely just be power/ground and a trigger wire of some sort from the sensor to the module. Program in forscan and possibly change the stalk.

uraceulose

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 maverick xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It will also be easiest to obtain the pigtail connection to the rain sensor itself then only have to run one single wire to the wiper control module.

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This started as treating a small cut with a bandaid, and seems to have developed into open heart surgery.
I’d love it, but too involved for me. If someone gets it done, I’ll be envious (in a nice way)
Sponsored