[REQUEST] - Enable Rain-Sensing Automatic Wipers WITH ForScan

Biigwigg

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Ram
I had this on my Bronco Sport Outer Banks and was disappointed that I don't have it on my Lariat Lux Hybrid. It'd be awesome if someone could figure out how to add it. I assume it has something to do with the camera in the windshield, but not sure.
Sponsored

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD; 20 Escape SEL 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Following

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I had this on my Bronco Sport Outer Banks and was disappointed that I don't have it on my Lariat Lux Hybrid. It'd be awesome if someone could figure out how to add it. I assume it has something to do with the camera in the windshield, but not sure.
You will need a rain sensor too.
Ford Maverick [REQUEST] - Enable Rain-Sensing Automatic Wipers WITH ForScan 1655304614347

There is space under the camera cover to add it, but I don't know if the wiring is there to support it.

[EDIT]
Also, you're gonna need a wiper controller that supports it. maybe something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294882098818?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=k80TlbcbQ7G&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=fOUuXM3ZQuC&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

If All you have to do is add a rain sensor and maybe make a tweak in Forscan, this could be an easy upgrade.

Curious to know if the wiring is already there or not...

Last edited:

peepsnet

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0L V8 STX / 2015 Explorer XLT 3.5L V6
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

see the little button on the top right just above the first post labeled, of all things, WATCH
Yup. Did that. Just letting OP know that I am interested in this topic as well.

OP
OP

Biigwigg

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Ram
1655304614347.png

There is space under the camera cover to add it, but I don't know if the wiring is there to support it.

[EDIT]
Also, you're gonna need a wiper controller that supports it. maybe something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2948820988...uid=fOUuXM3ZQuC&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
View attachment 56495
I wonder about the wiper control, my BS-OB didn't have anything different than the Maverick has, but there was a menu setting under Driver Assist that turned it on or off, all you had to do was turn the wiper switch to intermittent and it would handle the rest. Was hoping that a simple ForScan change would allow it....oh well, maybe someone smarter than me will figure it out.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I wonder about the wiper control, my BS-OB didn't have anything different than the Maverick has, but there was a menu setting under Driver Assist that turned it on or off, all you had to do was turn the wiper switch to intermittent and it would handle the rest. Was hoping that a simple ForScan change would allow it....oh well, maybe someone smarter than me will figure it out.
You might be right. Like you, it would be interesting to know.
Ford Maverick [REQUEST] - Enable Rain-Sensing Automatic Wipers WITH ForScan 1655322952617

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You might be right. Like you, it would be interesting to know.
1655322952617.png
I remember seeing something in FORSCAN, but am waiting on extended license renewal, then I'll look again.

Last edited:

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I found where these settings are in Forscan.

In BdyCM: 1.Rain Light Sensor
2. Rain Sensing Wipe

IN IPC 1.Rain Sensor, which then makes it show in the Vehicle Menu.

No idea if this will actually work, will test out later with some water maybe? No rain here.

The wipers are still coming on intermittent like normal even with this rain sensing checked in the menu. Not sure if the sensor posted above can be installed.
Ford Maverick [REQUEST] - Enable Rain-Sensing Automatic Wipers WITH ForScan PXL_20220615_213759560

Ford Maverick [REQUEST] - Enable Rain-Sensing Automatic Wipers WITH ForScan PXL_20220615_214107461

Ford Maverick [REQUEST] - Enable Rain-Sensing Automatic Wipers WITH ForScan PXL_20220615_214159709

Last edited:
Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
1655304614347.png

[EDIT]
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294882098818?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=k80TlbcbQ7G&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=fOUuXM3ZQuC&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

If All you have to do is add a rain sensor and maybe make a tweak in Forscan, this could be an easy upgrade.

Curious to know if the wiring is already there or not...
You'll need the wiper stalk also with automatic button on it.

Forscan will probably require the SCCM module to be reprogrammed to recognize the wiper switch besides also needing to reprogram the IPC and BCM modules to turn on the feature.

As far as wiring the sensor check out a schematic for a bronco sport or F150 in the service manual. You can buy 3 day access to all the manuals from 96 up online at motorcraftservice.com for like $21.

I think this upgrade is doable once you have the parts and wiring schematic.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have abandoned this as an option. I did some more searching I don't think it will work. I think there may be more to it than just the sensor.

If you do a parts search for the Ford Bronco, there are 3 windshield options and only one of those is designed for rain sensing:
Ford Maverick [REQUEST] - Enable Rain-Sensing Automatic Wipers WITH ForScan 1658937114499

I think that is because that windshield includes a "leave-out" in the black finish of the windshield that allows the sensor to 'see' and function properly.
Ford Maverick [REQUEST] - Enable Rain-Sensing Automatic Wipers WITH ForScan 1658937342385

No such option is listed for the Maverick and there are no extra spaces in the black finish that would accomodate. To get it to work, I think you'd have to try and 'scrape' the black off of the glass. I'm not interested in it enough to attempt that right now.

Ford Maverick [REQUEST] - Enable Rain-Sensing Automatic Wipers WITH ForScan 1658937547124

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have abandoned this as an option. I did some more searching I don't think it will work. I think there may be more to it than just the sensor.

If you do a parts search for the Ford Bronco, there are 3 windshield options and only one of those is designed for rain sensing:
1658937114499.png

I think that is because that windshield includes a "leave-out" in the black finish of the windshield that allows the sensor to 'see' and function properly.
1658937342385.png

No such option is listed for the Maverick and there are no extra spaces in the black finish that would accomodate. To get it to work, I think you'd have to try and 'scrape' the black off of the glass. I'm not interested in it enough to attempt that right now.

1658937547124.png
You can't mount the rain sensor in the box on a Maverick. There is no room for it as is. You could try a different cover for an Escape for example if it is the same form factor that has the room to mount the rain sensor in it. The sensor detects moisture so it shouldn't matter if the glass is blacked out or not. If it does you'll just need to mount it elsewhere on the windshield.

The switch that should work with this sensor should be part # SW8455.

Last edited:

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You can't mount the rain sensor in the box on a Maverick. There is no room for it as is. You could try a different cover for an Escape for example if it is the same form factor that has the room to mount the rain sensor in it. The sensor detects moisture so it shouldn't matter if the glass is blacked out or not. If it does you'll just need to mount it elsewhere on the windshield.

The switch that should work with this sensor should be part # SW8455.
You're right. There is no space to mount the rain sensor in the maverick. From what I can find, the sensor mounts to the windshield and not to the cover.

Here is a picture of the mount on my truck...
Ford Maverick [REQUEST] - Enable Rain-Sensing Automatic Wipers WITH ForScan 1658940957486

and here is an example of the mount from an F-150. You can see on the right where the senor mounts and you can see that the glass underneath is clear.
Ford Maverick [REQUEST] - Enable Rain-Sensing Automatic Wipers WITH ForScan 1658940812431

I can't find any specific info on how Ford's sensor works but I assume it's similar to GM's system:

GM still calls its automatic system Rainsense, and its basic function hasn't changed much since 1996. Rain is, well, sensed by a module mounted on the inside of the windshield, behind the rearview mirror. It contains eight LEDs and a set of light collectors. When the weather is dry, the LED light bounces off the windshield and into the collectors. But when a raindrop lands in front of the module, some of that light would refract away from the collectors, and the system triggers the wiper blades to swipe.
Sponsored